How do I share my NTFS partition over my network w/ Mint 14?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kevin108

How do I share my NTFS partition over my network w/ Mint 14?

Post by Kevin108 »

I haven't done this since Mint 11 and obviously some things have changed.

I have a HTPC in the living room running XBMC on XP.
(Only because I can never get the Linux version to run smoothly with my particular hardware.)

My media is on an NTFS partition on my Mint 14 Cinnamon office computer / media server.

Personal File Sharing has the network option grayed out because I'm missing something.

What do I need to add or configure to get this going?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How do I share my NTFS partition over my network w/ Mint

Post by AlbertP »

Maybe you need to install the nautilus-share package. If that doesn't fix it, please make sure gvfs-fuse, libsmbclient, smbclient and python-smbc are installed.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Personal File Sharing only shares the Public folder in your home directory and really doesn't work with Windows.

Have you tried this instead: Simple File Sharing in Mint: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

I thought Nautilus had been scrapped for Nemo?
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

altair4 wrote:Personal File Sharing only shares the Public folder in your home directory and really doesn't work with Windows.

Have you tried this instead: Simple File Sharing in Mint: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169
I have that thread bookmarked but I was concerned it would no longer work. I will give it a try!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That's of course true. I just saw an LMDE file sharing tutorial that needed those packages to be installed. Probably it's a bug in Nemo in which case you can report it on https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I just installed Mint14 in a VBox guest and it appears that it's built in just like it was in Nautilus. Apparently it's called nemo-share instead of nautilus-share but it's installed by default so you should be good to go.

Depending on how your ntfs partition is mounted you might have to add a "force user = your-user-name" to smb.conf so the remote user can access it but that's in the HowTo as well.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

Apt-get verified nemo-share is installed. Haven't gotten back on the HTPC to check things over yet though.

Return to “Beginner Questions”