Please Help - Xservernot found, unable to resolve host

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chibi03

Please Help - Xservernot found, unable to resolve host

Post by chibi03 »

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty much a noob with linux and at the end of my knowledge. I probably did the stupidest thing ever. :cry: Today I just wanted to uninstall my lyx editor and accidentially
uninstalled a bunch of important packages :( As a result Mint now gives me a Xserver not found error and can't connect to the internet.

The error message:
X-server not found: /usr/bin/X: 0 -audit 0 -auth
/var/lib/mdm/> 0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt
... please install Xserver ...
I can't install xserver with apt-get because of the lack of internet connection and the command xorg -configure is not found.
I believe the best way to start would be to get my internet working first but I don't know how. In the command line I always get
the error
sudo: unable to resolve host
and can't download any packages... After some research I found the suggestion of changing the line "managed=false" to true in NetworkManager.conf
but that didn't help. And restarting the Network-manager service didn't change anything either.

I'd be really thankful for any kind of suggestion. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Kind regards.

PS: I'm using Linux Mint 13 on a MSI GE60 installed as dual boot with windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coltstrgj

Re: Please Help - Xservernot found, unable to resolve host

Post by coltstrgj »

I may be wrong, but I always thought that x server was the gui host process. I thought that it handled the graphics card, and the display on the monitor. If I am correct, then the two problems are unrelated. Also If I am correct, are you trying to use wifi or ethernet. I doubt that this is the problem though, otherwise you would have noticed the lack of gui probably.
chibi03

Post by chibi03 »

Yes they are two different problems, but the began at the same time. I have neither a gui nor internet, and I really don't know how to fix this...

thanks for your reply.
coltstrgj

Post by coltstrgj »

I am very sorry about the delay in response. please use

Code: Select all

lsmod
and look for your internet adapter. Also are you trying to use wifi or ethernet. Please post the result for the internet adapter that you are using, and if you can not find it post the whole list here.
I doubt that you will be able to find it if the internet is not working. In fact, i hope that you dont if its wifi, if you do, it is a problem that I will likely not be able to help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”