Shockwave Flash

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pedropt

Shockwave Flash

Post by Pedropt »

Yeap, I'm a new Linux (Mint 14) user. I've installed it replacing XP. Had trouble regarding slideshow on the instalation process wich I solved following a direct suggestion from a user.
Now you can guess... how the h*** do I managed to see movies on UTube or tv streams or whatever that uses flash? I know there are many answers around but they might get "lost in translation" so a direct and straight answer if possible is welcome. Either Firefox or Chrome won't budge shockwave flash stuff... Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pedropt

Re: Shockwave Flash

Post by Pedropt »

No one?... :(
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Who is your ISP? If it's Virgin Media, then there are known issues with You Yube and streaming. Google it.
The most reliable way to get Adobe Flash is to use Synaptic Package Manager.
Find it in your Menu, and type Adobe Flash in the search box. the latest plugin is version 11.
You may find the Mint equivalent is installed.
Hope this helps.
Pedropt

Post by Pedropt »

norm.h wrote:Who is your ISP? If it's Virgin Media, then there are known issues with You Yube and streaming. Google it.
The most reliable way to get Adobe Flash is to use Synaptic Package Manager.
Find it in your Menu, and type Adobe Flash in the search box. the latest plugin is version 11.
You may find the Mint equivalent is installed.
Hope this helps.
I'm in Portugal, not at my home pc at the moment. Yesterday I searched, downloaded Chrome wich I read somewhere that hadn't flash issues but has. I've installed Opera no results either, Firefox ibidem.

I can see Flash somewhere on a Mint plugins list (don't remember wich list, and the version is the 11.XXXX), I see it activated. On Firefox I get a no screen at all on Youtube, a shockwave flash off on Chrome and don't recall what I got with Opera...
All this is a bit frustrating...
Thanks!
Pedropt

Post by Pedropt »

Update...

After searching I realize that I might needed some Nvidia updates. Synaptic did them, I no longer have a compatibility mode boot, now it's straight. Regarding the flash plugin synaptic and program man. suposedelly installed it and all the accessories. Well, at this moment I'm able to run youtube on Opera, Firefox and Chrome don't. Although there are limitations. I can only see videos in the small screen mode. Watching full screen crashes the plugin, even on low res. modes. I'm able to see movies right after in the small screen mode, no neeed to restart the machine. My grapic harware is an astonishing 8 year old 128k Nvidia card... Should I replace it?...

Return to “Beginner Questions”