PlayOnLinux and wine in Mint 14

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
e83

PlayOnLinux and wine in Mint 14

Post by e83 »

I have been using various versions of Mint on my 64 bit Dell 1745 Studio laptop for some time without problems and have just installed Mint 14 and am impressed but have found that I am unable to install wine. In Synaptic I get the response "Depends: wine1.4 but it is not going to be installed". When I try to install wine1.4, the "S" box shows red and I get "Could not apply package. Fix broken package first". The bottom line of Synaptic then shows 1 broken package that, presumably, I should uninstall and reinstall. How do I find out which package I should deal with?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: PlayOnLinux and wine in Mint 14

Post by DrHu »

Even if you don't know the broken package name, synaptic does and will repair the install: it is a dependency hence the other part of the message (will not be installed..)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
  • How to fix broken packages
    'Broken packages' are packages that have unsatisfied dependencies. If broken packages are detected, Synaptic will not allow any further changes to the system until all broken packages have been fixed.
    1.To fix broken packages
    1.Choose Edit > Fix Broken Packages from the menu.
    2.Choose Apply Marked Changes from the Edit menu or press Ctrl + P.
    3.Confirm the summary of changes and click Apply.
    If that does not help, then please follow this procedure:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Packa ... gProcedure
You can always look at mint's own package manager (I don't like it much either --find it has too much non-user control, I always use synaptic or apt on the terminal )
--and see if wine is there and which version: if it is lower than the version you want, you will just have to use source files and include any dependencies needed, and even then it may be a long haul to make it work. You need to fix each item that causes any error..
e83

Post by e83 »

Thank you for your rapid response. I was unaware of Synaptic's ability to repair broken packages. In my case, however, repair has proved unsuccessful and I am now engaged in the communication with Launchpad. I had incidentally tried the other options to which you drew to my attention, without success.
e83

Post by e83 »

Oh Dear, Launchpad's response is that they do not deal with Mint problems, only Ubuntu, so I am not sure where I go from here.

Return to “Software & Applications”