[SOLVED] Can I just change distros?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
muzzargh

[SOLVED] Can I just change distros?

Post by muzzargh »

Hi All,

I currently have an Ubuntu variant installed with my /home on a separate partition, if I want to install Mint14 is it as simple as pointing Mint to the existing /home partition (and change a few permissions) and most things will still work?

Or do I have to start from scratch?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Can I just change distros?

Post by bimsebasse »

Well, you can also backup your home folder and then restore after installation - it doesn't take a lot of time.
muzzargh

Post by muzzargh »

and that should work from the other distro?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

muzzargh wrote:and most things will still work
Unless the ubuntu version is the same as that underlying the version of mint you install, then the configuration data on your home will not be compatible and likely cause problems. So many posts on these forums are down to users trying to re-use old homes on new versions. By all means use the same home but delete all the hidden folders except your browser and email leaving just those and documents, music, etc.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
muzzargh

Post by muzzargh »

Sweet, I will give it a try. Thanks for the input :D

I'll mark this a solved!

Return to “Installation & Boot”