Mint 14 and Mint-Flashplugin

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 14 and Mint-Flashplugin

Post by JoeBingo »

Running Mint 14 Mate and using Firefox

Most Flash games on arcadeprehacks.com won't load. Interestingly ... the unhacked versions of the games load and run fine.

When I ran Mint 13 Mate, which has an earlier version of Mint-Flash ... all games loaded and ran fine on arcadeprehacks.com

Thoughts ?? Thanks !!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kevin108

Re: Mint 14 and Mint-Flashplugin

Post by Kevin108 »

If you're using Firefox, try the Flash-Aid plug-in. It has a couple other versions of Flash you can try.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

Tried Flash-Aid and updating to the latest stable Adobe Flash version ... no change in the issues.

I also have a lap top with Mint 13 Mate and I also used Flash-Aid and updated to the latest stable Adobe Flash version for Linux ... and now I have the same issues on my laptop as I do on my desktop.

It looks like the issue is with the newer versions of Adobe Flash and newer Mint-Flashplugins.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

you can downgrade flash in Synaptic - search for "flash" and you will find older versions of Mint flashplugin, even 10.x (at least that's the case in Mint 13, hope they have kept it in Mint 14 repos)
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

axel668 wrote:you can downgrade flash in Synaptic - search for "flash" and you will find older versions of Mint flashplugin, even 10.x (at least that's the case in Mint 13, hope they have kept it in Mint 14 repos)
Yep, the same version 10.x choices are still available in Mint 14 as they were in Mint 13. But removing the default Mint-Flashplugins and installing 10.x doesn't solve the problem.

The previous default Mint-Flashplugin version in Linux Mint 13 was 11.0.1.152 and I had no problems/issues with it.

That version is unavailable in Linux Mint 14. I'm stuck with a newer default Mint-Flash Player version 11.2.202.243 ... or the 10.x versions.

However, both Linux Mint 13 & 14 can be upgraded to the lastest Adobe Flash Player for Linux (11.2.202.251) as well. I have a desktop running Mint 14 and a laptop running Mint 13. On each ... when I upgrade to the latest Adobe Flash Player for Linux ... most games at arcadeprehacks.com still will not load and run properly.

Additionally, I just installed the available Chromium Browser for Linux Mint 14 and ... most arcadeprehacks.com games won't load and run, JUST like in Firefox (version 17.0). The Chrome Browser version available is 22.0.1229.94~r161065-0ubuntu1

The only way for hacked games at that site to load and run in Linux Mint is with the old Mint 13 (or earlier) version using an old/outdated version of Mint-Flashplugin or older version of Flash Player for Linux from Adobe.

Interestingly ... the links on the game pages that bring up an unhacked version of the individual games ... loads and runs fine. It's only the hacked versions I'm having a problem loading and running and only with the newest version of the Linux Mint operating system AND/OR newest version of the Adobe Flash Player for Linux, downloaded and installed directly from Adobe.

There is a forum at arcadeprehacks.com and I've posted this same information there as well. Hopefully between here and there ... this can be resolved.
nomko

Post by nomko »

JoeBingo wrote:Tried Flash-Aid
Flash-aid is no longer supported/maintained/updated (Last updated September 08, 2012). Using this tool might work, but it is outdated already.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

nomko wrote:
JoeBingo wrote:Tried Flash-Aid
Flash-aid is no longer supported/maintained/updated (Last updated September 08, 2012). Using this tool might work, but it is outdated already.
You can also achieve the same results by simply using the Package Manager to install the Adobe-Flashplugin (ver. 11.2.202.251) which auto removes Mint-Flashplugin (ver. 11.2.202.243). You don't even need to use Flash-aid at all, although it does work in Firefox 17.0

I tried both ways ... Flash-aid and Package Manager.

EDIT: I also tried downloading and manually installing the latest Adobe Flash Player for Linux (tar.gz file), directly from Adobe (ver. 11.2.202.251). Did not correct the problem/issue.
nomko

Post by nomko »

JoeBingo wrote:You can also achieve the same results by simply using the Package Manager to install the Adobe-Flashplugin (ver. 11.2.202.251) which auto removes Mint-Flashplugin (ver. 11.2.202.243). You don't even need to use Flash-aid at all, although it does work in Firefox 17.0
Good point. But keep in mind that Flash-Aid is no longer maintainted/updated/developed. So even if it does work under FF17, at 1 point it will no longer be supported by FF since Flash-Aid is outdated and could become a vulnerability for FF17.

@ topic starter:
Try installing this package: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fl ... in-nonfree. It is standard available in the repository.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

nomko wrote:@ topic starter:
Try installing this package: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fl ... in-nonfree. It is standard available in the repository.
Yep, that accomplishes the same thing I've already tried, using the Package Manager and installing adobe-flashplugin. It will update to the latest Adobe Flash Player for Linux ver. 11.2.202.251

We've connected the dots on available ways to upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Flash Player for Linux (ver. 11.2.202.251) as well as explored using ver. 10.x available from the repository. Bottom line is that the default mint-flashplugin worked in Mint 13 (ver. 11.0.1.152) but the default mint-flashplugin in Mint 14 (ver. 11.2.202.243) will not load and run most games on the arcadeprehacks.com site ... and maybe other sites and flash files as well, dunno.
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

you can also try to install google chrome who has the latest flash in the market embeded.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

richardsdma wrote:you can also try to install google chrome who has the latest flash in the market embeded.
Please see previous post. I've already tried chrome ...
Additionally, I just installed the available Chromium Browser for Linux Mint 14 and ... most arcadeprehacks.com games won't load and run, JUST like in Firefox (version 17.0). The Chrome Browser version available is 22.0.1229.94~r161065-0ubuntu1
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

it is a little bit confusion, i am not talking about chromium, have you tried google chrome from google?
google chrome has flash 11.5.31.xxxx version.
in the meantime, adobe dropped support for linux flash. the only way to get the latest version is to use google chrome (not chromium)

Version 23.0.1271.64 is my google chrome downloaded from here
https://www.google.com/intl/ro/chrome/b ... _medium=ha
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

richardsdma wrote:it is a little bit confusion, i am not talking about chromium, have you tried google chrome from google?
google chrome has flash 11.5.31.xxxx version.
in the meantime, adobe dropped support for linux flash. the only way to get the latest version is to use google chrome (not chromium)

Version 23.0.1271.64 is my google chrome downloaded from here
https://www.google.com/intl/ro/chrome/b ... _medium=ha
AH-HA ... I did install the english version of Google Chrome and was able to load and run all flash games on arcadeprehacks.com. I expected an *.exe file to install Google Chrome and was surprised to find a *.deb file available from the Google Chrome download page.

I only wish there was a way for flash to work in Firefox like it does in Mint 13. I prefer the firefox browser. Maybe I will have to get used to Google Chrome if I continue to run Mint 14 LOL
Thank You
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

can you give me a reason, a healthy one, that you would not like google chrome?

chrome will be the only way to get the latest version of flash player, and you know why? because linux only haz ONE % of desktop market due to its cappy philosophy.
so i am glad that you solved the issue.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

richardsdma wrote:can you give me a reason, a healthy one, that you would not like google chrome?

chrome will be the only way to get the latest version of flash player, and you know why? because linux only haz ONE % of desktop market due to its cappy philosophy.
so i am glad that you solved the issue.
The simple reason is because I'm not accustomed to the user interface of Google Chrome or have a level of trust as far as stability and security is concerned, that only comes with using a browser for a period of time. It was the same way when I first started using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. But after using Firefox for some time, I came to feel I would never go back to IE. Perhaps at some point, I will feel the same way about Chrome. Only time will tell. I will say there is some apprehension in exposing myself entirely to another Internet application/entity when I previously had no reason to do so.

The way I see it ... Firefox has about as much to do with Linux as Google Chrome does. They both run in any operating system environment. So why would one be able to use the latest Adobe Flash version and the other not? Is it just a matter of software coding or is it something else?

Furthermore, I don't feel the issue is solved at all ... not even close. I can't get a totally workable/latest Flash version in Firefox when using Mint 14. At least in Mint 13, the Mint-Flashplugin works at all times (for now), even if an older version. The older is better than the new at the present time !!! I view having to install Google Chrome in Mint 14, as a (necessary) workaround LOL.

HECK, Chrome isn't even available via the Package or Software Manager in Mint (only as a "Chromium" version) and must be downloaded and installed directly from the Google site. If Google Chrome is the only browser with a version of Flash embedded that will work at all times with Linux Mint ... then maybe it should be the default browser packaged with Mint instead of Firefox. Maybe the reason it isn't is the issue of "open source" or something to do with licenses and so forth ... dunno
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/adob ... h-on-linux

read this.....google chrome is, for the moment, the only way to have the latest flashplayer.

i can tell you about me: google chrome was love at first sight. i have google account and it is pretty easy to synchronyse all my bookmarks, username, pass, with every new install. needless to say that chrome is working much better than firefox.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

richardsdma wrote:http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/adob ... h-on-linux

read this.....google chrome is, for the moment, the only way to have the latest flashplayer.

i can tell you about me: google chrome was love at first sight. i have google account and it is pretty easy to synchronyse all my bookmarks, username, pass, with every new install. needless to say that chrome is working much better than firefox.
I completely understand the attaction of Google Chrome in your circumstance. You have much personal Internet history/bookmarks/passwords and personal information already stored on Google servers. Apparently Google servers and services is a large part of your digital experience. I do not. I "surf" with a much lighter footprint and am not presently prepared to hand over that much personal information to Google. The more information I can store locally on my hard-drive without sharing and storing to remote servers such as Google ... the more secure I feel.

It's just as easy to perform local backups to a thumbdrive on my local desk right in front of me and restore with every new install as it is to use a few clicks and restore from a remote server or "cloud" ... and MUCH more secure.

Return to “Software & Applications”