Skype, video-in not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joelthetrucker

Skype, video-in not working

Post by joelthetrucker »

Hey, just installed Mint (Mate) for my mother. and set up most everything that she needs. Skype is needed to talk and see her grandkids. When i make a call to my brothers computer (Windows). everything works, he can see me, we can hear each other but i can not see his video the screan is blank it looks like it should be a vid there but is just blank. BTW I can see my own vid inthe lower corner. I also unistalled and downloaded the latest Skype from the website. (4.1) and have the same problem. I think it must be a codec or something about this compter or OS anyone have an Idea. I am new to linux and dont know the terminal yet, but want to learn :) thanks

Joel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Skype, video-in not working

Post by remoulder »

What version of mint?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
joelthetrucker

Post by joelthetrucker »

Sorry should have said mint 13.

joel
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

So can anyone else see the video stream from your brother's machine? Since you can see your own video then it is not a codec problem and more likely to be an issue at the sending machine or a bandwidth issue. You might be better asking this at https://support.skype.com/en/
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
joelthetrucker

Post by joelthetrucker »

Sorry for the time it takes to get back i'm a truck driver. I also tried from my windows machine and get the same thing. My machine was the way my mother skyped with my brother, so his isn't the issue I don't think ( we both have windows). I'll check the link you have in the post and see where is takes me. I was hoping this was a common issue and an easy fix.

Joel
joelthetrucker

Post by joelthetrucker »

Hey just so everyone know i didn't quite fix the issue. I did find out that the issue is with Skype somehow but it has to do with the distro. I left a message on the Skype forums but never got a reply. I Did try a different distro... sort of.. I loaded a Ubuntu 12.10 and downloaded the latest Skype. Everything works just fine. So i fixed it but changing from Mint to Ubuntu. Thanks for you help. l know this really didn't fix anything but it will work for me.

Joel

Return to “Software & Applications”