Solution to mounting internal floppy drive Linux Mint Nadia:

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Brahim Salem

Solution to mounting internal floppy drive Linux Mint Nadia:

Post by Brahim Salem »

If I receive this error msg in Linux Mint 14, codename (Nadia) ''Error mounting system-managed device /dev/fd0: Command-line `mount "/media/floppy0"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device'' it means that the floppy driver is loaded as a module. You can blacklist this module so it doesn't get loaded:

Code: Select all

echo "blacklist floppy" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-floppy.conf
sudo rmmod floppy
sudo update-initramfs -u

That's it man!!!
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simes549

Re: Solution to mounting internal floppy drive Linux Mint Na

Post by simes549 »

Thanks so much. Since I don't have a floppy drive, this was really driving me nuts with Nadia.
jepsr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jepsr »

Thanks Brahim...this solution worked for me too! Error message had been driving me crazy.
Skara Brae

Post by Skara Brae »

[bump], if I may.

My new PC - running "Nadia" since a few weeks - too shows the "Unable to mount floppy disk" after logging in. Following Brahim's tip, I however get the error that the "Module floppy does not exist in /proc/modules".

What now?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Did you try and disable and turn off the floppy in Bios?
and then won't even be listed when devices are polled.
Skara Brae

Post by Skara Brae »

Another [bump].

The BIOS shows no "disabling" any floppy drive. It does show this external USB floppy drive/CF/SD drive that I have. That is probably not the cause of that error.

My fstab file has a reference to /dev/sde - a floppy drive (Gee, I can't remember such "technical" Linux stuff, I'll have to look into this fstab thing again). I bet (or maybe not) that's the cause.

----
Edit: Well, putting a # in front of the /dev/sde line in my fstab file didn't work; it gave me another error about the floppy drive.
oxman

Post by oxman »

I want to track this thread. I am unable to mount my floppy drive. I get the message also but do not know how to interpret it. My floppy is enabled in the bios. Any help is appreciated. Linuxmint 14 Mate
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

I am unable to mount my floppy drive
Is that with a formatted floppy inside the drive?
As believe it won't mount unless their is one in drive?

Not positive and just guessing here.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

You can make a mount point if the floppy device is not available, from the /etc/fstab file
http://home.ubalt.edu/abento/linux/terminal/mount.html

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
--typical mount command from a terminal

Expect most floppies (diskettes) to be FAT formatted, they usually came that way, unless you changed it to use a Linux file format, however FAT is more universal for that device/media
i.r.id10t

Post by i.r.id10t »

DrHu wrote:You can make a mount point if the floppy device is not available, from the /etc/fstab file
http://home.ubalt.edu/abento/linux/terminal/mount.html

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
--typical mount command from a terminal

Expect most floppies (diskettes) to be FAT formatted, they usually came that way, unless you changed it to use a Linux file format, however FAT is more universal for that device/media
If you use gkrellm or some other "click to mount" you can edit your /etc/fstab file

/dev/fd0      /mnt/floppy      msdos      noauto,user      0      0      

Then for your script or command you don't need to run it with sticky bit or play with permissions

Return to “Tutorials”