Unable to mount location

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stedben

Unable to mount location

Post by stedben »

Happy thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate it!

I am at my uncle's house and I am trying to get a virus off his windows laptop. The virus is too smart for regular extraction so I made an LM 14 USB boot disk. My hope is to run a linux-based antivirus to clean up the windows hard drive.

In Mint, when I double click the windows drive, i get an error message:
Unable to mount location Adding read ACL for uid 999 to `/media/mint' failed: Operation not supported
I would be so grateful if someone could help me!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Unable to mount location

Post by altair4 »

Create the directory first:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /media/mint
Then take possession of "mint":

Code: Select all

sudo chown mint:mint /media/mint
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
7heD4rkKnigh7

Post by 7heD4rkKnigh7 »

Thank you for your post. It does solve the problem of not being able to browse my NTFS hard disks. But I am curious. I am a newbie to Linux and have been looking at different distributions of Linux since the release of Windows 8 which I do not like. It seems unecessary to issue this command in Ubuntu to see NTFS partitions. Did the Linux Mint distributors make this terminal command necessary on purpose, or is this some sort of bug that was overlooked? I doubt my own suggestion that this is any kind of bug but who knows? Its probably more related to security. But since Ubuntu has no problem with my NTFS disks out-of-the-box and Mint does it makes me wonder. I guess that's why I ask. Thanks for the help.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Oddly enough you have the cause and affect reversed. It's Ubuntu where the problem exists and only shows up in Mint because Mint is derived from Ubuntu.

Want proof? Here is the original Ubuntu bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1048059
Like most bugs it will not happen to everyone and not all the time.

Once upon a time during the Golden Age of Linux all of these partitions that are not in fstab would mount to /media/LABEL. If they happen to be formatted in NTFS or FAT32 they would mount with the owner = the user that mounted it. Someone decided to change this and have it mount to /media/$USER/LABEL and instead of a simple ownership scheme like they had before they decided to use ACL's ( Access Control Lists ) because it's more complicated to do it that way and as it turned out more error prone.

It boils down to a lack of adult supervision and proper integration testing of new software.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
ericpeacock79

Post by ericpeacock79 »

@altair4 - thanx! worked perfectly for me
LM 14 flash drive live disk
Frank24

Post by Frank24 »

This worked for me.
Thank you
daniel1212

Post by daniel1212 »

altair4 wrote:Oddly enough you have the cause and affect reversed. It's Ubuntu where the problem exists and only shows up in Mint because Mint is derived from Ubuntu.

Want proof? Here is the original Ubuntu bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1048059
Like most bugs it will not happen to everyone and not all the time.

Once upon a time during the Golden Age of Linux all of these partitions that are not in fstab would mount to /media/LABEL. If they happen to be formatted in NTFS or FAT32 they would mount with the owner = the user that mounted it. Someone decided to change this and have it mount to /media/$USER/LABEL and instead of a simple ownership scheme like they had before they decided to use ACL's ( Access Control Lists ) because it's more complicated to do it that way and as it turned out more error prone.

It boils down to a lack of adult supervision and proper integration testing of new software.
I just installed Linut Mint 16 on a new PC and ran into this problem, and is one the things that is contrary to making Linux more user friendly.

And afer creating the directory in Terminal, running sudo chown mint:mint /media/mint results in "invalid user; 'mini:mint.'

Linux is installed on a partition of a HD (Disk /dev/sda: 82.0 GB) that has W/8 preview on the other partition (. Disk /dev/sdb: 16.1 GB), and which i wanted to delete.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I can't believe this is still an issue.

Anyway, the mount point in question is /media/$USER where $USER is your login user name not "mint". "mint" in the previous posts was based on how the OP created his user name.
daniel1212

Post by daniel1212 »

altair4 wrote:I can't believe this is still an issue.

Anyway, the mount point in question is /media/$USER where $USER is your login user name not "mint". "mint" in the previous posts was based on how the OP created his user name.
Apparently i am not understanding this.

I tried to created a directory using sudo mkdir /media/username (username being my login) and it said it already existed. So i tried sudo chown mint:mint /media/username, which resulted in chown: invalid user

Can you tell me what to provide? Thanks
Last edited by daniel1212 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Everything about this post concerns fixing this error message:
Unable to mount location Adding read ACL for uid 999 to `/media/mint' failed: Operation not supported
Where "mint" is whatever your login user name happens to be.

If you never got that error message then you should start a new topic.
daniel1212

Post by daniel1212 »

daniel1212 wrote: Linux is installed on a partition of a HD (Disk /dev/sda: 82.0 GB) that has W/8 preview on the other partition (. Disk /dev/sdb: 16.1 GB), and which i wanted to delete.
Correction: The other partition that i want to wipe is not /dev/sdb, but a partition of the sda disk Mint is on (Maxtor 6L080M0), and the icon is on the desktop, but i do not know what ID Linux gives it.
daniel1212

Post by daniel1212 »

altair4 wrote:Everything about this post concerns fixing this error message:
Where "mint" is whatever your login user name happens to be.

If you never got that error message then you should start a new topic.
I checked many threads and saw no one size fits all, and among other things, since neither of my printers installed (hangs or not listed), i think i will try a different distro. Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”