Build a .deb of Minitube 1.9 from Tarball - My How to

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lizbeth

Build a .deb of Minitube 1.9 from Tarball - My How to

Post by lizbeth »

The reason behind using the tarball vs. backporting from Sid is that when I tried (successfully) backporting from Sid, I got a minitube that would not play videos but would only download them. The method described below, using the tarball from flavio.tordini.org, the creator of minitube, delivered a working minitube video player and downloader.

First thing, install the dependencies. in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential qt4-dev-tools libphonon-dev libqtgui4 libqt4-xml libqt4-network libqt4-dbus phonon-backend-gstreamer gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad checkinstall dh-make
As normal user:

cd ~/ && mkdir tmp && cd tmp/
wget http://flavio.tordini.org/files/minitube/minitube-1.9.tar.gz
tar xvzf minitube-1.9.tar.gz
cd minitube
At this point we have to pause before running the next commands because there is an issue with gcc 4.7 and we need to make a patch and apply the patch. Special thanks to Vbrummond for this patch!

Open a text editor in your terminal. leafpad, gedit, pluma whatever you use and add this text into the ~/tmp/minitube directory

diff -crB minitube-orig/src/qtsingleapplication/qtlocalpeer.cpp minitube/src/qtsingleapplication/qtlocalpeer.cpp
*** minitube-orig/src/qtsingleapplication/qtlocalpeer.cpp   2012-09-27 06:17:03.000000000 -0400
--- minitube/src/qtsingleapplication/qtlocalpeer.cpp   2012-10-28 13:18:02.836364666 -0400
*** 46,51 ****
--- 46,52 ----

#include "qtlocalpeer.h"
+ #include "unistd.h"
  #include <QtCore/QCoreApplication>
  #include <QtCore/QTime>
  #include <QDebug>
Then save the text as qtlocalpeer.patch and exit

Now apply the patch

patch -p1 < ./qtlocalpeer.patch
Now we are ready to build minitube

qmake-qt4
dh_make -p  minitube_1.9 --createorig
dh_make will prompt you what to build, press 's' for single. then run the next command

dpkg-buildpackage
This will build the package for you and make the debian installable file for your machine's architecture.

Now just install the package:

cd ~/tmp
sudo dpkg -i minitube_1.9-1_amd64.deb
Now go Play and Have FUN!

(and share this with your friends)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kevins4

Re: Build a .deb of Minitube 1.9 from Tarball - My How to

Post by kevins4 »

Lizbeth,

Thanks for putting this up! A couple of questions from a build from source noob please. (Using Crunchbang 10 Statler, Debian Squeeze)

All appears to go well up to "apply patch". Is the file created in and the patch applied in minitube directory?

Are the next commands also run in the minitube directory? If so... I run into the following:

kevin@Crunch-D610:~/tmp/minitube$ dh_make -p minitube_1.9 --createorig

Type of package: single binary, indep binary, multiple binary, library, kernel module, kernel patch or cdbs?
 [s/i/m/l/k/n/b] s

Maintainer name : Kevin McKibben
Email-Address	: kevin@Crunch-D610 
Date				: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 21:28:34 -0500
Package Name	 : minitube
Version			: 1.9
License			: blank
Using dpatch	 : no
Type of Package : Single
Hit <enter> to confirm: 
cp: cannot stat `../minitube-1.9': No such file or directory
Done. Please edit the files in the debian/ subdirectory now. You should also
check that the minitube Makefiles install into $DESTDIR and not in / .
Again, thanks for posting as I really like Minitube.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Yes, you should be in the mintube directory for those commands. I walked through it step by step as i typed it in the screen. Doing each step in order than typed it in the window. Everything should be exactly in perfect step by step order.

When you run the dh_make command it should create the tarball in the tmp directory just above the minitube directory
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Thanks for the crits. I edited the instructions appropriately for perfection (I hope)
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

If you are building from Debian Squeeze, you do not need the patch because you do not have gcc 4.7

Return to “LMDE Archive”