[Solved] Upgraded Graphics Card. "Out of Range" Error

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
WhatUsernameIsFree?

[Solved] Upgraded Graphics Card. "Out of Range" Error

Post by WhatUsernameIsFree? »

Hi all,

My old graphics card died in my computer so I've upgraded it to the cheapest one I could find. ATI AMD Radeon 5450. I've installed the ATI drivers fine, but now the card has kindly set it's resolution to 1600x1200, which my monitor can't handle. I've tried rebooting, but my screen still just says out of range. I need to reduce the resolution, but I'm not sure how to do that as I can't see to set the resolution. :oops:

Thanks for any help. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Upgraded Graphics Card. "Out of Range" Error

Post by xenopeek »

You may try the following; during boot hold down the Shift key to get the GRUB boot menu to show (if not shown by default). In the GRUB boot menu press the 'e' key to edit your boot parameters. Scroll down to the line that starts with "linux" and at the end of that line add the parameter "resolution=640x480" (without the quotes) or change the 640x480 to a common resolution that your monitor does support (like 1024x768 or 1280x1024). This may allow you to boot to your desktop with that resolution, so you can get to the AMD configuration program to change its default.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't work, as soon as it got to the 'graphical bit' for the login it displays out of range.

I can get into a terminal by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 is there any way I can change ctrl+alt+f7's resolution from there?

Thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You may instead try the boot parameter "nomodeset", add it like above.
WhatUsernameIsFree?

Hi,

I in the terminal, as root, I used the command

Code: Select all

aticonfig --resolution=0,800x600
Which, funny old thing, set the resolution to 800x600, which my monitor can handle and then used the ati catalyst to set the resolution to the size I wanted.

Return to “LMDE Archive”