The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TRZALICA

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP5 [UPDATE: 16/10/2012]

Post by TRZALICA »

Thanks! :)
I'll try that and tell you results later.
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

Schoelje, thanks again, now it works! :)

But, there is always BUT with this "unique" computer :P
I can't get sound and when I reboot machine after installing graphic card driver, I get this error (when logged in): KWin closed unexpectedly (executable: kwin PID: 3022 signal: Illegal instruuction (4) ) ...
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

TRZALICA wrote:I can't get sound and when I reboot machine after installing graphic card driver, I get this error (when logged in): KWin closed unexpectedly (executable: kwin PID: 3022 signal: Illegal instruuction (4) ) ...
No sound: use Alsa instead of pulseaudio (and reboot to be sure):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio*
Does this look like your Kwin issue?
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get- ... s-kde.html
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

Problem with sound still remains... I can send you screenshots on mail if you want just send pm with your mail. (I don't have the same problem as guys on the forum you gave in link)
How can I remove the old user profile (one that I had problem with loging in?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

TRZALICA wrote:Problem with sound still remains... I can send you screenshots on mail if you want just send pm with your mail. (I don't have the same problem as guys on the forum you gave in link)
It's better you post your screenshots on a online photo service like photobucket.com and include the IMG link in your post so that more people can help you with your sound issue (really, I don't know everything, although my kids still think I do ;) ).
TRZALICA wrote:How can I remove the old user profile (one that I had problem with loging in?

sudo deluser --remove-home username_to_remove
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

Your are very smart guy and modest, and I must say that that is rarity in nowadays. If someone know something, keeps it for himself and that is not so fair...

To get back on topic.
Here are photos of this problem of mine and I must say that despite of that I make new user and somehow I get the sound but I can't use mixer to control volume on it and this problem with this error still consists.

Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Did you have these problems when running LMDE KDE live?

Let's try some other things:
  • Please, uncheck the "Show this dialog at startup" so that it doesn't start the welcome screen.
    This at least eliminates one application that could interfere with Kwin (but shouldn't). Reboot.
  • If you close the error box, what is the first application that shows in the system tray?
  • After you closed the error box, could you attach the output of:

dmesg > dmesg_output
    You will find a file called dmesg_output in the current directory.
  • Can you left-click the audio mixer in the system tray and open Mixer / Settings / Audio Setup / Audio Playback / Music and test the sound of each device entry in the right pane?
    If you uninstalled pulseaudio, you have several devices, if not, just a single one.
    What happened (I hope at least one gives a sound)?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I've got my first LMDE KDE basher: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 12#p649812 :D

[EDIT]
Sorry, it's already been removed...but I must say, it was short and to the point.
Last edited by Schoelje on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:D Schoelje just ignore trolls and focus in the wonderful work you're doing :wink:
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

zerozero wrote::D Schoelje just ignore trolls and focus in the wonderful work you're doing :wink:
I thought it was just funny, but you're right: let's focus on the work at hand.
Talking about that: did you read my last post for DDM (I can't get that apt-listbugs thing out of my head)?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 23#p649823
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

I've installed Mint DE KDE UP5 on my desktop machine (replacing my now bloated Kubuntu 12.04>12.10) but I'm getting unusually high CPU readings from Xorg.

It normally sits around 1 or 2%, but when I do anything it will jump to anything from 10-25% (for a few seconds) then drop again. It's not a major problem, but it does it when I press the K button, or even create a new tab in Chrome. :(

Not sure if this is the same problem and possible cure?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73633

Oh, and one more thing:

Sharing a folder. When I right click, click the SHARE tab and tick the box to share a folder everything seems fine. But close that window, reopen it and the folder network icon is gone. Go into the properties and SHARE tab again and the box I ticked is now unticked. I've had to botch this by opening the Dolphin window as root and it will share that way.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ronnietucker wrote:I've installed Mint DE KDE UP5 on my desktop machine (replacing my now bloated Kubuntu 12.04>12.10) but I'm getting unusually high CPU readings from Xorg.

It normally sits around 1 or 2%, but when I do anything it will jump to anything from 10-25% (for a few seconds) then drop again. It's not a major problem, but it does it when I press the K button, or even create a new tab in Chrome. :(

Oh, and one more thing:

Sharing a folder. When I right click, click the SHARE tab and tick the box to share a folder everything seems fine. But close that window, reopen it and the folder network icon is gone. Go into the properties and SHARE tab again and the box I ticked is now unticked. I've had to botch this by opening the Dolphin window as root and it will share that way.
Sorry that I'm so late. I'm working on a revised DDM at the moment and it's taking every free minute I have.
I've been looking at the CPU usage issue, but never came any further than you already did.
Did you also have this issue when running live and were you able to solve it?

I didn't get the sharing problem as a normal user.
Can you list the groups of your user?

groups user_name
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:I've installed Mint DE KDE UP5 on my desktop machine (replacing my now bloated Kubuntu 12.04>12.10) but I'm getting unusually high CPU readings from Xorg.

Oh, and one more thing:

Sorry that I'm so late. I'm working on a revised DDM at the moment and it's taking every free minute I have.
I've been looking at the CPU usage issue, but never came any further than you already did.
Did you also have this issue when running live and were you able to solve it?
No worries. I'm sure this distro baking thing takes up a lot of time. :D

I didn't have the problem with the Live DVD, no.

I initially thought it was Chrome to blame (as adding a new tab would slow things down), but using the System Monitor I could see that it was Xorg that was using all the CPU time. :?
I didn't get the sharing problem as a normal user.
Can you list the groups of your user?

groups user_name
I'm a user of:

ronnie@kde-mint-desktop ~ $ groups ronnie
ronnie : ronnie adm dialout cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev lpadmin sambashare
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I noticed a CPU usage jump of Xorg as well when I open a new tab in chromium, but it hardly lasts a second.
Maybe it's supposed to do that and it depends on the system's hardware configuration (type cpu, motherboard, just guessing).

The groups for your user look correct to me.
You could try this:
Create a samba password

sudo smbpasswd -a ronnie
Backup smb.conf and add some configure items to it (you need to hit ENTER when the "testparm" lines are being executed):

sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.master
sudo testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf.master >/etc/samba/smb.conf
sudo testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
sudo sed -i -e 's/\[homes]/\tusershare owner only = No\n\tusershare allow guests = Yes\n\tsecurity = user\n\tmap to guest = bad user\n&/' /etc/samba/smb.conf
Now check if everything is correct

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
And restart samba (or reboot)

sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
Try sharing a folder.
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:I noticed a CPU usage jump of Xorg as well when I open a new tab in chromium, but it hardly lasts a second.
Maybe it's supposed to do that and it depends on the system's hardware configuration (type cpu, motherboard, just guessing).

The groups for your user look correct to me.
You could try this:
Create a samba password

sudo smbpasswd -a ronnie
Backup smb.conf and add some configure items to it (you need to hit ENTER when the "testparm" lines are being executed):

sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.master
sudo testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf.master >/etc/samba/smb.conf
sudo sed -i -e 's/\[homes]/\tusershare owner only = No\n\tusershare allow guests = Yes\n\tsecurity = user\n\tmap to guest = bad user\n&/' /etc/samba/smb.conf
Now check if everything is correct

And restart samba (or reboot)

Try sharing a folder.
Weird. The first line (the copy command) worked fine. Second line (first testparm) gave the error:

bash: /etc/samba/smb.conf: Permission denied
... and I was using sudo. Copy/pasted your commands right into Konsole. :?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ronnietucker wrote:Weird. The first line (the copy command) worked fine. Second line (first testparm) gave the error:

Ok, just forget sudo, but login as su and start from the first testparm.
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:Weird. The first line (the copy command) worked fine. Second line (first testparm) gave the error:

Ok, just forget sudo, but login as su and start from the first testparm.
Sorry, still no folder sharing. Same as it was before: I check the share box, but the settings don't 'stick'. When I close the window and reopen it the tick in the sharing box is gone. :?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Another try...
First, check if you are in the users group!
If not, add yourself to the users group, if you are, try this:

Make sure the following is in the [global] section:

usershare allow guests = Yes
usershare max shares = 100
usershare owner only = False
Create usershare directory if it not already exists with the right permissions (owner=root / group=users):

sudo mkdir /var/lib/samba/usershares
sudo chgrp users /var/lib/samba/usershares/
sudo chmod 1775 /var/lib/samba/usershares/
Restart samba:

and try sharing a directory again.
ronnietucker

Post by ronnietucker »

Schoelje wrote:Another try...
First, check if you are in the users group!
If not, add yourself to the users group, if you are, try this:

Make sure the following is in the [global] section:

usershare max shares = 100
usershare owner only = False
Create usershare directory if it not already exists with the right permissions (owner=root / group=users):

sudo mkdir /var/lib/samba/usershares
sudo chgrp users /var/lib/samba/usershares/
sudo chmod 1775 /var/lib/samba/usershares/
Restart samba:

and try sharing a directory again.
Thanks for sticking with me on this. :oops:

Just before I try what you said above, I just noticed that I have some repeating entries in the Samba [global]:

[global]
        server string = %h server
        map to guest = Bad User
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *passwor$
        unix password sync = Yes
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        dns proxy = No
        panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
        idmap config * : backend = tdb

usershare owner only = No
        security = user
        map to guest = bad user
Would that cause problems? I never edited that file. If it's broken it wasn't me. Honest! :D
TRZALICA

Post by TRZALICA »

Sorry Schoelje for not replying to you yet!
I wasn't home where the computer on which I installed your dist is installed.

I will try those things you said tomorrow.

Return to “Chat about Linux”