Problem installing Mint14

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deeniel

Problem installing Mint14

Post by deeniel »

Hi im new around here and to Linux world.
I installed linuxmint13 on my windows 7 (on virtualbox) and it worked well. so i decided to finally dualboot it on my laptop and so i downloaded the new Nadia version.
First from windows 7 i created a new partition og 100gb. I rebooted my laptop and launched the Mint's DVD. I started the installation and i had only 2 choise (i saw on some video u have 3 choise: install beside windows, install on windows and an advanced one), well i miss the install beside, so i chose the advanced one where it ask me to choose the partition. Here i cant see the partition i created from windows. So i chose my Windows partition and decided (from linuxmint installation wizard) to split a partition from here. But when i click ok it gives me an error and i cant create the partition.
I dont know what i should do and im a bit newbie so i may wont understand all suggestion.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Problem installing Mint14

Post by wayne128 »

Check if your hard disk partition created by Win7 is dynamic ..

To do this, boot from Live DVD, open a terminal, type a few commands and post their results.

sudo fdisk -l

sudo parted -l
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

Is there an explenation why i dont have the "install beside windows" choise? it would make everything easier. Now il will try your suggestion thnk
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

deeniel wrote:from windows 7 i created a new partition...Is there an explenation
Yes in simple terms don't create the partitions in advance, the installer will do it for you.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

remoulder wrote: Yes in simple terms don't create the partitions in advance, the installer will do it for you.
Well if i dont create it from "advanced" i have only the option "install on windows(and will delete it)" i dont have "alongside windows"
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

deeniel wrote:only the option "install on windows
This may happen if the drive already has 4 primary partitions, please open a terminal from the live DVD and provide the output of fdisk -l

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
deeniel

Post by deeniel »

i didnt try yet but if im not wrong i had 4 partition. In case what should i do?

btw yes i have 4 partition already
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 63 2047 992+ 42 SFS
/dev/sda2 * 2048 409599 203776 42 SFS
/dev/sda3 409600 941522943 470556672 42 SFS
/dev/sda4 941522944 976771119 17624088 42 SFS

Ok it doesnt tell me what the partition are for but i guess the 470gb its my C, the 200MB is for my System, the 18gb its my recovery for the backup, and i dont know the 1mb whats is for, i could delete it and create a new partition?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Before you do anything with the partitions make sure you backup anything you wouldn't want to lose, also I wouldn't delete any partition unless you're sure you know what it's for. You have dynamic partitions which makes things more complicated, the easiest route would be to backup, delete the entire drive, repartition and reinstall/restore, but have a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 58538.html which is an almost identical issue to yours.

deeniel

Post by deeniel »

I deleted the recovery partition which contained the windows ISO and driver. Nothing so important. So unstalled Mint and at the end it gave me grub installation ertor, i tryed to install it in every partition but ertor all the time. I rebooted windows and got blue screen

Return to “Installation & Boot”