[Solved] Cinnamon 1.4 to Cinnamon 1.6 in Maya 13 LTS

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Pretty new to Mint, can I add a question, since the OP seems to be after the new Cinnamon DE and maybe not the Ubuntu 12.10?

I'm liking the Mint 13 / Ubuntu 12.04 as an LTS version of the operating system that can keep me up to date without the nuisance of a fresh install. But Cinnamon seems to have been improved to version 1.06 in Mint 14. Since Mint 13 is "LTS" I'd be expecting it to support updates to the desktop environments along with other software packages for some years ahead?

Right now the Software Manager and Synaptic in Mint 13 are showing the old Cinnamon 1.4 but I would reasonably expect that to change for an LTS version. Is that right, or is the LTS Mint 13 "stuck" with Cinnamon 1.4 forever? Information on this much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
zerozero

Re: Cinnamon 13- Cinnamon 14

Post by zerozero »

maya has cinnamon 1.6.4 in romeo (see here how to upgrade to those packages http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2177 and here what romeo and those "unstable" packages are http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 28#p651114
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Thanks, I'm not so much interested in getting a bleeding edge unfinished and glitchy version of Cinnamon but would like to upgrade Cinnamon in a Maya 13 installation by way of the Software Manager or Synaptic. I'm willing to wait some months for a finished version of Cinnamon 1.6, and future releases, to show up in repositories - that's my question - will Cinnamon be updated in the regular Maya 13 repositories over future years? I'm just not sure what comes with "LTS" status for Mint 13.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

I2k4 wrote:I'm not so much interested in getting a bleeding edge unfinished and glitchy version of Cinnamon but would like to upgrade Cinnamon in a Maya 13 installation by way of the Software Manager or Synaptic.
as i said in the post i linked above the cinnamon version available in maya's romeo is 1.6.4 while nadia has 1.6.7; i don't see posts about how unfinished and glitchy cinnamon is in nadia so we can only presume that an older version is going to be more reliable.

i would say that 1.6.4 is still in romeo because of this release cycle and once it's done it will migrate to the normal repository.

maya will continue to get cinnamon updates as long as that is technically possible, meaning that one day cinnamon's underlying technology will make it impossible to be backported to maya (the same already happened with lisa: it stayed at 1.4 and there's no way to get newer versions)
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Thanks again. I'm not wanting to speculate, but was reasonably put off by the words in the link: "These technologies are brand new and we do not recommend you upgrade to them. They were however added to the Romeo section of the LMDE and Linux Mint 13 repositories for Cinnamon enthusiasts to get an early taste of what is coming next."

I'm in no rush and am still getting used to Cinnamon 1.4 - but would like to know that mature updates to Cinnamon will be available to Maya in the normal way through Software Manager and Synaptic PM. I'm learning about Mint 13 and the LTS commitment to future years of support, before installing on my hard drive.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Here was a quote from Clem on why Cinnamon 1.6 is still in the romeo repos for Maya:
If we recommended it to everybody it wouldn’t hit Romeo, it would overwrite Cinnamon 1.4. Version 1.6 is brand new, it’s yet to pass community feedback, to receive translations for every language out there and to gain the maturity that’s required to properly get in Linux Mint (in particular, it will take a little while before most of the themes are ported to Cinnamon 1.6).
This was posted sometime in September. However, at this point Cinnamon 1.6 is 2 months old (which is a good amount of time considering the whole project's been around for less than a year). It also has received a lot of testing in Mint 14. It is now considered good enough to be included in the Cinnamon edition of the newest Mint release. I think that now that themes have been ported - there are many nice themes for Cinnamon 1.6 in the cinnamon-themes package in Mint 14. My guess is that Cinnamon will be brought into the main repo shortly. The Mint Team does have a lot of stuff on their hands right now - Mint 14 Cinnamon/MATE being released very recently, Mint 14 KDE and Xfce upcoming, as well as LMDE UP 6 entering incoming soon.

Another option is to add the cinnamon-stable ppa (https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... mon-stable), and then to force the package version in synaptic - this will get you Cinnamon 1.6.7 for precise/maya. From my experience, Cinnamon 1.6 is very stable on Maya.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Split from another thread
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

I2k4,
does this http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225 looks better?
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Thanks all - I also got the idea Cinnamon 1.6 is ready for prime time from its inclusion in Mint 14. I have tried the backport upgrade method on my LTS Maya test install, using the 2225 link instructions, and we'll see how it goes. (It gave me some odd error messages about the Cinnamon PPA not being found, but according to Synaptic it actually has installed 1.6.7) Looking forward to working with it.

By the way, noticed that this also brings the new Nemo file manager into Maya 13.

Return to “Cinnamon”