Laptop hard drive starts-stops all time

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MoroccanMint

Laptop hard drive starts-stops all time

Post by MoroccanMint »

I have installed Mint 13 on a DELL Vostro 2520 laptop. Everything works fine (great I should say), except one problem. I have noticed that the hard drive stops and starts again quite often. I do something, like opening one program, then the hard disk seems to stop, until I do another thing, say, minimize a window, does it then stops again. This start-stop thing makes me worry about its life expectancy.

I also noticed this only happens when running the laptop on battery. When the power cord is plugged it works all fine.

I don't know what other information I could add about it.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Laptop hard drive starts-stops all time

Post by heavy metal »

You should check if the option to spin down the hard disk when on battery is checked, maybe thats the reason of the delay, if you want to know the condition of your hard disk install these two programs "GSmartControl" and "Gnome-Disk-Utility (Palimpsest)".

P.S. Also check the condition of your battery, maybe it is going kaput and doesn't have the amount of power the hard disk needs!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Many older laptops frequently power down the harddisk to save power (this has nothing to do with a bad battery). You can often change the settings using hdparm: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_ma ... t_features
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
MoroccanMint

Post by MoroccanMint »

Thank you both for your quick replies.

The laptop and its battery are not old at all. I bought it new one month ago. Also this is my first week in Linux, so excuse my inexperience. It seems the problem is what you mentioned, but I don't know how to fix it. I installed both, laptop-mode-tools and hdparm packages but I find no clue on how to use them.

I can see hdparm options from the Terminal, then I don't know which settings should I tweak, some of them read "DANGEROUS", which scares me a bit :lol:
Tried obtaining hard drive information -i and -I parameters, but it seems nothing happens.

Meanwhile, I'll use the laptop with power cord only, because the spin cycle is really aggressive.

Thank you again guys.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

OK, but there is usually a power control application available which can be set to the taskbar or it is under the control panel for Linux : power
--if you can find that service (right-click taskbar and select item..), then you can set its properties to not spin down the hard drive or run in full power mode (don't shut down screen or save to RAM or hard drive: going asleep)
  • Not using power saving modes is running the notebook as a desktop, which assumes always connected to a local (mains power plug..)
    --the purpose of the laptop mode controls is to save battery charge..
laptop mode controls/app..
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/laptop-mode-t ... stems.html
MoroccanMint

Post by MoroccanMint »

Thank you, but the power app only shows what to do when the lid is closed or screen blackout time.

I have installed powertop package, which shows battery consumption. Under "Tunables" tab everything says good except "VM writeback timeout", which says "Bad".

i just changed in /etc/latptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf

Code: Select all

LM_BATT_HD_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SECONDS=20
to 300. I hope it works. Will report back.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

For hdparm not doing anything, you likely need to add "sudo" before the command to gain root permission.
MoroccanMint

Post by MoroccanMint »

I tried modifying the laptop-mode.conf but didn't work.

Now I used the terminal for "sudo hdparm -S 252". Going to report back the progress later.

Again, thank you very much.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

In case you want a command to be run every time the computer boots, you can try putting it in /etc/rc.local:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
Please put the commands here without sudo, before the exit 0 line.
MoroccanMint

Post by MoroccanMint »

Well, I see no difference after I do "sudo hdparm -S 252" or 255. Not even sure the parameters were changed, no confirmation or error messages, only a replay of the parameters.

As for laptop-mode-tools I don't think it is enabled at all. I modified laptop-mode.conf but nothing happens.

It is a pitty everything works so well in this laptop except this thing. Every single time the disc starts it makes a little noise, so I can't ignore it! I must fix it. :?

Thanks.

==
Edit: I plugged the cord, and the problem is gone; could it be that laptop-mode-tools is not configured properly? I must be doing something wrong... I'll look at it again later.

Return to “Hardware Support”