Extremely slow

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
portets

Extremely slow

Post by portets »

So I downloaded Mint 14 64-bit Cinnamon and made a live DVD. My new favorite Distro!(as far as looks and features) Anyway, the live DVD took three times longer to boot than Ubuntu 12.10, and doing anything on the desktop took forever. Opening a terminal took 2 minutes, opening the update manager took 7 minutes, firefox took 2 minutes, and opening the installer took 20 minutes. Every time I would go to the next step in the installer, it would take about 10 minutes. The total install time was 7 hours! All of these things were almost instant for the Ubuntu 12.10 live DVD. I checked the checksum of the DVD and it was correct, I then tried the disc in a friends computer and it worked perfect, everything snappy like th Ubuntu 12.10 disc was in mine.

I figured maybe once it's installed it would work better. But it was just as bad. Boot time is twice as long as Ubuntu 12.10, some programs take minutes to load. Installing updates didn't fix anything. Opening a program freezes the whole system(except the mouse) until that program is loaded. CPU and RAM usage are low this whole time, but stop being reported until the program loads.

The weird part; my dmesg output is almost exactly the same as Ubuntu 12.10, and so is my xorg log. No errors reported anywhere. Nouveau is loaded correctly, webgl works great in firefox once everything is loaded. I have no idea what's going on here. :shock:

Specs:
Acer Aspire 6930g
Core 2 Duo - 2ghz
4GB RAM
Geforce 9600m GS
160GB hard drive with 6GB swap
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
portets

Re: Extremely slow

Post by portets »

Update: Just tried Mint 14 Mate 64-bit, works great. Cinnamon must have an issue with my hardware. Should I repost this somewhere more relevant to Cinnamon?

Return to “Installation & Boot”