Easy Netflix Solution (!)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Easy Netflix Solution (!)

Post by InkKnife »

A PPA is available that installs a build of Windows Firefox and then runs Netflix in Native Silverlight. On WINE of course.
It presented as being for Ubuntu but I installed it on Mint13/Cinnamon and it works like a charm.
YMMV of course.
Linkage:
http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/ppa ... p-app.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
cwwgateway

Re: Easy Netflix Solution (!)

Post by cwwgateway »

I haven't tried this yet, but from what I've heard it works well, although some people talked about it being a little bit slow (and others about it not being slow). Unfortunately, I'm running LMDE, so I have to do the long and complicated process of compiling wine and doing everything else manually to get it to work :( .
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

My Mint box is an old P4@3.06 w/2gig of ram and onboard Intel graphics and this Netflix client runs acceptably fast in the browse interface and the streams play without stuttering. There is the occasional glitch where the mouse pointer briefly disappears but that is a minor gripe.
It's good stuff as long and you don't ponder too deeply about the huge blob of proprietary code you just installed :D
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

InkKnife, thanks for the link. I tried it on the Linux Mint 13 side of my iMac desktop and this way of running Netflix is as good as on the Mac OS X side. My only complaint is that my desktop seems to get stuck in Netflix and I cannot shut down the computer afterward the usual way, but had to shutdown hard. :(
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

3fRI wrote:InkKnife, thanks for the link. I tried it on the Linux Mint 13 side of my iMac desktop and this way of running Netflix is as good as on the Mac OS X side. My only complaint is that my desktop seems to get stuck in Netflix and I cannot shut down the computer afterward the usual way, but had to shutdown hard. :(
You can't get out of full screen by hitting the esc key or F11?
I haven't had any problems with NetflixDesktop at all aside from the pointer disappearing thing and that seemed to just go away by itself.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

InkKnife,

My bad. Hitting the F11 key did the trick. FWIW, my pointer was also finicky at first, but now seems better. In short, everything works just fine now. Thanks again for the tip. :D
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

3fRI wrote:InkKnife,

My bad. Hitting the F11 key did the trick. FWIW, my pointer was also finicky at first, but now seems better. In short, everything works just fine now. Thanks again for the tip. :D
Cool that worked. I had Netflix Desktop refuse to give up full screen for awhile yesterday but found that alt-tab still worked and that lets you switch apps.
jeveleth3

Post by jeveleth3 »

Nooooooooooo lol i just upgraded to cinnamon 14 a couple of days back!!!! Ive been trying to get this to work for a couple of days now but when i click on the netflix desktop app it just gives me a loading sign on my mouse and nothing happens. Could it be my version of wine or something? can i fix this with a fresh install of netflix desktop app and wine? or did i just install cinnamon 14 at a bad time lol? EDIT* Turns out if I just run it as root it works perfectly :D the funny thing is it works better than when I watched it on windows I havnt had any loading problems or even studders in watching shows and movies.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

I installed it in Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 14... No problems on either install.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

jeveleth3 wrote:Nooooooooooo lol i just upgraded to cinnamon 14 a couple of days back!!!! Ive been trying to get this to work for a couple of days now but when i click on the netflix desktop app it just gives me a loading sign on my mouse and nothing happens. Could it be my version of wine or something? can i fix this with a fresh install of netflix desktop app and wine? or did i just install cinnamon 14 at a bad time lol? EDIT* Turns out if I just run it as root it works perfectly :D the funny thing is it works better than when I watched it on windows I havnt had any loading problems or even studders in watching shows and movies.
I installed this Netflix on a freshly installed Mint14/Cinnamon and the instal took quite awhile and there was a frustrating Microsoft EULA for some fonts that took me two hours of research to figure out how to dismiss. The solution is you use the arrow key to highlight the "OK" so you can hit enter to accept.
Other than that it installed perfectly.
Maybe you should purge it and start over?
From the site linked in OP:
f you had previously tried to install the Netflix Desktop App via our terminal commands from the earlier post, we recommend running the line below in a terminal to clear out any unexpected errors BEFORE trying to install the Netflix Desktop app via the PPA method...

rm -Rf ~/.netflix-desktop
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Thought I would ad a long term use review for the benefit of others thinking about this solution.
This Netflix client has matured very nicely. The developer has been very active and has pushed out quite a few updates, even got the client to respect the system theme so the experience is almost indistinguishable from a native solution.
At this point of development I am comfortable recommending Netflix Desktop to anyone who needs it. It really works nice.
anthonywrainer

Post by anthonywrainer »

I used these instructions and was able to successfully watch Netflix on LinuxMint Debian : http://pristinesource.blogspot.com/2013 ... tpwww.html
justy39

Post by justy39 »

I was told 2 days ago, netflix is now working on a linux native client. Which is also removing the DRM. If my sources are correct, this is good news. About time.
ctt1wbw

Post by ctt1wbw »

Does it make any sense that Netflix supports the Chrome OS but not Linux? Really?
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

forget about netflix there are much better options for linux. Install xbmc and then add ice films and navi-x plugins.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

That is good news, although the PPA has been working well for me. Thanks.
justy39 wrote:I was told 2 days ago, netflix is now working on a linux native client. Which is also removing the DRM. If my sources are correct, this is good news. About time.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

justy39 wrote:I was told 2 days ago, netflix is now working on a linux native client. Which is also removing the DRM. If my sources are correct, this is good news. About time.
This is not really true. It is not a "native" Linux Netflix client. What this application is is a version of the Windows version of Firefox, equipped with Sliverlight, running in WINE.
So this is by no means an open source solution.
It works well but it is Microsoft DRM.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

If Netflix is working on a native linux client, it won't use Wine. But I feel it's doubtful that they'll be producing anything that "is also removing the DRM" since that'd seem to make it much easier for their content to end up being watched by people who aren't paying customers (and I've read that they already estimate about 1/3 of their viewers fall into that category :roll: ) - which causes me to wonder just who it was that told justy39 on the 22nd of April that Netflix would be producing a non-DRM client (IOW, was it someone at Netflix who was in a position to know, or is this just a rumor?).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfte5su5DIA[/url]

This worked for me :D

Return to “Open Chat”