Root should it be enabled or disabled(Code to enable please)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Incentive I.C

Root should it be enabled or disabled(Code to enable please)

Post by Incentive I.C »

Well i was reading throught thishttp://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=113593 and when I found out the root account is actually unlocked by default(Why?!)( scroll down a little you willl find what i am talking about) I though that was kind of silly and a pretty big security risk so I followed the steps to lock it with these command

Code: Select all

sudo passwd -dl root
To the main question how to I enable direct access to the account. I will probable keep it locked for now be i just need to know how to enable just In case i ever have to have use it any ideas :?

But why in the world is it enabled in the first place. Most people use there computer for simple tasks(such as internet browsers, listening to music, playing games) Which requires the root account in no way at all(Just use Sudo right?)leaving it unlocked just for the sake of it is a very good way to get the system totally distorted! You got root you got the system! Okay so important data you can just encrypt sure but what about the rest of the system files the boot and other important things with root as long as its not in use you can just delete it! What user would do that more like what application would do that! Running a cleanup in root not a good idea but what if the user forgets! Make users go through the process of enabling it rather than disabling it! I heard about a guy that unsecured his Wifi (Idk why maybe for a test?) and of coarse all his " Neighbors" connected to it like mad. So he changed the name to something like "please do not connect" and of course those people just had to see that Facebook sh#t. So he changed it again to something like "Seriously do not connect to my wifi" and yeah that twitter just had to be read so it was like Christmas time in Kmart on that poor router...... The man decide to change it one more time "DO NOT CONNNECT!!!!!!" (Okay i do not think that was the name but you get it :wink: ) Common sense was not in the atmosphere so they connected and the man sent out a code that worked the HDD so hard it scathed the inside and the data was lost. These could have been prevented by A: spending that extra dollar for that SDD or Most importantly not allowing the code the be executed in the first place! Yeah i am sure the code needed root permission and it probable had a way of finding your password but if it cannot get the your root password there is only so much it can do. With root account enabled your account password is roots password too with it disabled it has not password and is locked.(Yes I believe these were windows computer but that not the point!)
I am not saying get rid of the user account root (please do not) I am just saying to have it locked and make the user put in a terminal command to lock it and unlock as needed but keep it locked as default seems like a better idea to me. It can always be enabled by a simple little command! Some users might just run root account because of all the freedom it brings but a least making them look up the code will make them see the risks.

This is a nice topic discussing ithttp://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=115790
Also in the terminal when the font turns red its root right. Mine turned red from running su - root. It sure was intimidating that red font! I quickly closed it because I thought I was root and did not want to break my system!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Root should it be enabled or disabled(Code to enable ple

Post by xenopeek »

It's harmless to have it enabled, and it means its available when you need it. For example for recovery mode, on which you need to log in as root. By default Linux Mint has MDM configured so that you can not log in to your desktop as root, you would need to explicitly allow it in MDM configuration to be able to log in to your desktop as root.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I agree with xenopeek on this. There are some instances where you need root access and it is nice that Clem has left this option open if you need it. There is no security threat or anything in having this ability.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

exploder wrote:I agree with xenopeek on this. There are some instances where you need root access and it is nice that Clem has left this option open if you need it. There is no security threat or anything in having this ability.
Okay so if there really is no risk what terminal command would I have to run to re enable it as it seems possible to enable it from other websites i have read.
Thanks.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Just make the change in MDM.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

exploder wrote:Just make the change in MDM.
Change? Is there a setting in MDM that i can go to? or do i use the Login application to make the change?
What am i suppose to change it to?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You will see the setting in the Login Window properties.
Incentive I.C

Post by Incentive I.C »

exploder wrote:You will see the setting in the Login Window properties.
I am guessing the the Login windows preferences is were i am suppose to be but the settings are unchanged. The only way i know the change is still there is to go into the terminal put in the code

Code: Select all

sudo passwd -S root
I will see Root L before the rest of the command and one a system unchanged with this command I see Root P before the command. Do you know what the "P" and "L" stand for?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”