Keyboard shortcuts not working ( mint 14 cinnamon )

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
terin

Keyboard shortcuts not working ( mint 14 cinnamon )

Post by terin »

I designated ctrl and z for command 'xkill' but theres ' nothing '... I have tried other commands for other applications also with different keyboard shortcuts ' nothing works ' and im stumped because ive never had any issues like this on any other version of linux mint or linux for that matter. Its really weird; the shortcuts work for everything else, but when it comes to custom shortcuts nothing works and ive doubled checked the commands were spelled correctly etc..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frank_claessen

Re: Keyboard shortcuts not working ( mint 14 cinnamon )

Post by frank_claessen »

Could you be a bit more specific?
Which commands are you trying to evoke?
ilansh

Post by ilansh »

frank_claessen wrote:Could you be a bit more specific?
Which commands are you trying to evoke?
For me it doesn't work too!
I've tried to make several new custom keyboard shortcuts that didn't work at all.
For example:
The command: 'xkill'
The keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+Esc

The predefined keyboard shortcuts works well and I even update it successfully (I've mapped Ctrl+Alt+Down to vol down),
but, as I wrote, the custom keyboard shortcut doesn't work :(
kufii

Post by kufii »

Same issue here. The default custom keyboard shortcut to open a terminal works, but I can't add new ones.
mati2

Post by mati2 »

I'm confirming this.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1077930

Probably that's the bug - I hope it'll get fixed.
terin

Post by terin »

Pretty serious bug at that, although the rest of the operating seems to be perfect and a lot more stable in comparison with the last version imo.

Hopefully it'll get sorted soon.
horizonbreakk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by horizonbreakk »

Verifying. Tried the same with "gnome-system-monitor" and nothing.
I thought maybe I was doing something wrong so I tried testing it with different things...no customs work. :(
papl00

Post by papl00 »

Confirming confirming..
Even if i change the existing terminal custom shortcut to start for example terminator instead, nothing happens, it remains unchanged.
frank_claessen

Post by frank_claessen »

Hi all,

I have done some heavy searching. I am working with Mint Maya but upgraded to Cinnamon 1.6.7 through the back-port repository.
Right away my keyboard shortcuts stopped working.

I think that all this relates back to Ubuntu - found a lot of information on a bug description dealing with just that.

See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/965921

Furthermore, there is a lot of information to be found at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Keybindings

that shows where and how all the information is stored

Tried gconf-editor and dconf-editor - all to no avail.

Finally went through preferences-keyboard-shortcuts and added a custom shortcut for my terminal (wasn't working anymore).

The command to run is /usr/bin/gnome-terminal

As soon as I assigned CTRL-ALT-T to it, I got a warning that these keys had to be reassigned to my custom shortcut.
I confirmed and had a working shortcut again.

Let me know if this helps (at least partly?)
elemenophee

Post by elemenophee »

frank_claessen wrote:Hi all,

I have done some heavy searching. I am working with Mint Maya but upgraded to Cinnamon 1.6.7 through the back-port repository.
Right away my keyboard shortcuts stopped working.

I think that all this relates back to Ubuntu - found a lot of information on a bug description dealing with just that.

See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/965921

Furthermore, there is a lot of information to be found at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Keybindings

that shows where and how all the information is stored

Tried gconf-editor and dconf-editor - all to no avail.

Finally went through preferences-keyboard-shortcuts and added a custom shortcut for my terminal (wasn't working anymore).

The command to run is /usr/bin/gnome-terminal

As soon as I assigned CTRL-ALT-T to it, I got a warning that these keys had to be reassigned to my custom shortcut.
I confirmed and had a working shortcut again.

Let me know if this helps (at least partly?)
do you know what are the commands for hide all windows and for move window to another desktop? Those are the shortcuts I'm missing (I use SUPER+D and SUPER+arrows)
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

xkb has a cache, and it does not like to clean it. Try deleting everything in this folder.

Code: Select all

/var/lib/xkb
Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

elemenophee wrote: do you know what are the commands for hide all windows and for move window to another desktop? Those are the shortcuts I'm missing (I use SUPER+D and SUPER+arrows)
hide all windows == Ctrl+Super+D
move window to another desktop == Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Left

Look them up in the Menu->Preferences->Keyboard applet.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
elemenophee

Post by elemenophee »

Garvan wrote:
elemenophee wrote: do you know what are the commands for hide all windows and for move window to another desktop? Those are the shortcuts I'm missing (I use SUPER+D and SUPER+arrows)

Garvan
I mean for do what he said. I know that that those are the default shortcuts (for hide all windows is CTRL+ALT+D btw).

Just tested a thing and it's curious... When I installed my system, my main DE was Gnome. Yesterday I switched to Cinnamon and noticed that shortcuts with SUPER don't work (they do in Gnome). Now I installed a Mint 14 Cinnamon in VirtualBox and there THEY WORK! But with RIGHT WINDOWS key instead of LEFT. So confused? Why they don't work in my system?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I just got my first look at Mint 14 Cinnamon. Overall it is pretty impressive, but like everyone else I am affected by the inability to create custom keyboard shortcuts or delete/change the built-in ones. This is a pretty basic and necessary function I would say and needs to be addressed fairly urgently, in most other respects it is a nice piece of work.

I also run Ubuntu 12.10 on which Mint 14 is based and there are no problems with keyboard shortcuts on that distro.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

elemenophee wrote:
Garvan wrote:

Garvan
I mean for do what he said. I know that that those are the default shortcuts (for hide all windows is CTRL+ALT+D btw).

Just tested a thing and it's curious... When I installed my system, my main DE was Gnome. Yesterday I switched to Cinnamon and noticed that shortcuts with SUPER don't work (they do in Gnome). Now I installed a Mint 14 Cinnamon in VirtualBox and there THEY WORK! But with RIGHT WINDOWS key instead of LEFT. So confused? Why they don't work in my system?
elemenophee,

You can set the key to hide all windows yourself, so it may be different on many distributions, or it could have been changed on my system or yours without us remembering. But they shortcut keys I posted do work on my system. The left and right super keys can be set individually.

But note the problems of the other posters in this thread. The changes you make setting custom key shortcuts have no effect until the kbd cache is deleted (rebooting does not work).

Garvan
norumaru

Post by norumaru »

You seem to misunderstand the problem, no offence intended. The problem is that changing - or even using - the keys (pre)set to trigger the keyboard shortcuts in the keyboard menu does nothing and the only working way to set them is to define custom shortcuts under the menu point "custom shortcuts". That, in turn, involves knowing the shell command you want to bind to the combination of keys in question. Elemenophee is looking for the CLI command that would do what she wants, so that she can set up a trigger under "custom shortcuts". Clearing the xkb cache does nothing, at least for me.

And since I am posting here already, I have the same problem. I used to be able to switch between workspaces with Super+[number of workspace] and to put windows on another workspace with Ctrl+Super+[number of workspace], and since I use each workspace for a different purpose and have different applications devilspie'd to each of them, going to expo for these functions every other minute gets really annoying. So if anyone knows the CLI commands for these things, I would be overjoyed.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Has someone brought this to the attention of Clem or whoever and got a reply?
ceccobeppe

Re: shortcut keys?

Post by ceccobeppe »

Talking about shortcut keys....

I want to disable the print screen key (or reassign to another function).

I can't find the corresponding entry in the keyboard shortcuts tab of MINT 14.

In previous version of MINT it was easy. There was a "screenshot" to customize.

Moved here by moderator - suggest you read the topic.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

norumaru wrote:You seem to misunderstand the problem, no offence intended. ...
Thanks for the correction. Garvan
ScottyD
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ScottyD »

I'm amazed this is still a problem??? Custom Keyboard shortcuts are FUBAR.

Return to “Cinnamon”