"Kill" stock panels for a pure AWN setup in Cinnamon??

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobwya

"Kill" stock panels for a pure AWN setup in Cinnamon??

Post by bobwya »

Hi all,

I've been testing out Linux-Mint 13 and it's really nice... But I would rather use the AWN dock in place of any standard panels. In Gnome 2.x I usually fiddled about with gconf-editor to get rid of the standard Gnome panels... But I am not sure if this is possible in Gnome 3.x??!! Btw I have applied the "unofficial update" to Muffin+Cinnamon 1.6.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AJ1000

Re: "Kill" stock panels for a pure AWN setup in Cinnamon??

Post by AJ1000 »

Try zorin os 6 core (free version), which uses gnome 3 and awn. Then add the mint repositories to it to get the mint stuff you want.
bobwya

Post by bobwya »

AJ1000 wrote:Try zorin os 6 core (free version), which uses gnome 3 and awn. Then add the mint repositories to it to get the mint stuff you want.
That's one hell of a kludge... There must be a cleaner way to do this - surely??!! :roll:

Bob
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

You can get Cinnamon down to one panel and autohide that panel, but I know of no way to get rid of the Cinnamon panels while running Cinnamon. I know that Cairo Dock includes its own session without panels, and there's probably a way to do this with MATE. Also, you could install a window manager like openbox or fluxbox and use that window manager with AWN. That would require some knowledge of how the window manager works, though. I'd image MATE is similar enough to Gnome 2 that you can remove the panels in the same way.
bobwya

Post by bobwya »

cwwgateway wrote:You can get Cinnamon down to one panel and autohide that panel, but I know of no way to get rid of the Cinnamon panels while running Cinnamon. I know that Cairo Dock includes its own session without panels, and there's probably a way to do this with MATE. Also, you could install a window manager like openbox or fluxbox and use that window manager with AWN. That would require some knowledge of how the window manager works, though. I'd image MATE is similar enough to Gnome 2 that you can remove the panels in the same way.
I'll have a play about with Cairo Dock as a work around. But again it's hardly ideal...

Don't I need the Gnome DE to get decent font rendering? I thought that was an issue with Openbox/Fluxbox...

Also I've no desire to start using Mate. I didn't particularly like stock Gnome 2 (well not until I kill the stock stuff and got a decent dock installed) and Mate feels like a rather pointless backward step. The work that Ikey is doing on Solusos seems to make more sense...

Thanks
Bob

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”