Mint 14: 'grub-efi' package failed to install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
louisgv

Re: Mint 14: 'grub-efi' package failed to install

Post by louisgv »

@srs5694:

This is what I have been doing:

Used gdisk and change sda1.

Reinstall LM14, I deleted sda9 and merge it to sda7; install LM to sda7; swap is sda8.

Now I wonder where should I install the boot loader? The default sda, or sda1?

Best regard,

LGV
butapren

Post by butapren »

@Mulder 2012

Your instructions with link works fine for Mint 13 64bits, Boot-Repair tool solves the problem with EFI (you have to tick a box in one of tabs to enable EFI for Grub ). I have not tried again with Mint 14 because it fails during instalation and it is not completed. I reckon there should be a possibility of installing Mint 14 using advanced options in place of Min 13 without deleting new partition table for EFI.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

louisgv wrote:Reinstall LM14, I deleted sda9 and merge it to sda7; install LM to sda7; swap is sda8.

Now I wonder where should I install the boot loader? The default sda, or sda1?
Technically, EFI boot loaders install to partitions, not to the boot sector of a disk, so the question isn't very meaningful. I don't know how Mint's installer responds to either option.

That said, if the information in the link provided by zerozero is correct, re-installing won't help, since the installer lacks EFI support. You'll have to either wait for the updated installer (which it is claimed will take about a week to become available) or install an EFI boot loader manually.
louisgv

Post by louisgv »

@srs5694:

Could you please give me instructions to install rEFInd for my computer? I'm booting it via LM14 liveCD, and ready to give it a go :-?..

Thanks,

LGV
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

louisgv wrote:Could you please give me instructions to install rEFInd for my computer? I'm booting it via LM14 liveCD, and ready to give it a go :-?..
See the documentation, specifically:
  • Installing rEFInd provides basic installation instructions from three OSes (Linux, OS X, and Windows).
  • Methods of Booting Linux describes how to configure your system so that rEFInd will pick up your Linux kernels and boot them directly, without the help of GRUB.
If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask.
louisgv

Post by louisgv »

Output using parted with dev/sda:

Code: Select all

Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54757 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  274MB   273MB   fat32        EFI system partition          hidden
 2      274MB   1819MB  1546MB  ntfs         Basic data partition          hidden, diag
 3      1819MB  2092MB  273MB   fat32        EFI system partition
 4      2092MB  2226MB  134MB                Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 5      2226MB  510GB   508GB   ntfs         Basic data partition
 7      510GB   717GB   206GB   ext4
 9      717GB   717GB   329MB                                              bios_grub
 8      717GB   725GB   8464MB
 6      725GB   750GB   24.8GB  ntfs         Basic data partition          hidden, diag
@srs5694: I don't see any boot flag? How should I proceed?

Thanks,
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

louisgv wrote:@srs5694: I don't see any boot flag? How should I proceed?
If the parted output is to be trusted, you (or some utility you've run) have accidentally changed the type code of the ESP to something inappropriate (probably the type code for a Windows partition). Your /dev/sda9 is also an unnecessary and ridiculously oversized BIOS Boot Partition. Since you say you've re-installed, it's not clear what's installed in the way of boot loader files. I'll assume you've got a basically-complete Linux on /dev/sda7, even if it won't boot. Given that, here's what I'd recommend:
  1. Run whatever Windows repair utility you've got so as to get Windows booting. Don't bother with anything else until you can get this working.
  2. If you haven't already done so, go into your firmware and disable Secure Boot.
  3. Check to see that you can still boot Windows.
  4. In Windows, install rEFInd, as described here.
  5. Edit the refind.conf file that you copied to the ESP as part of the installation. Locate the line that reads "#scan_all_llinux_kernels" and uncomment it (remove the leading "#" symbol). Save this change.
  6. Reboot and verify that rEFInd is coming up and that you can use it to boot into Windows. If it shows any other boot options, feel free to try them. If you're very lucky, you might end up not having to do the rest of this.
  7. Boot a Linux emergency system. I recommend using Parted Magic, although other tools will work, with some changes to the following. (The Mint installer lacks gdisk, and so is sub-optimal for this.)
  8. Type "gdisk /dev/sda" to launch gdisk. Verify that /dev/sda9 has a type code of EF02 by typing "p". Change it to 8300 (via the "t" command) and save your changes (by typing "w").
  9. Type "mkdosfs -n mintboot /dev/sda9" to create a FAT filesystem on /dev/sda9. You'll be setting this up as your /boot partition. Be very careful to get the partition identifier right!
  10. Type "mkdir /mnt/boot /mnt/mint".
  11. Type "mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/boot".
  12. Type "mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/mint".
  13. Type "cd /mnt/mint/boot". You may want to verify that you've got the normal contents of a Linux /boot directory here, especially files whose names begin with the strings "vmlinuz" and "init".
  14. Type "mv * /mnt/boot".
  15. Type "cd ../etc".
  16. Edit the file fstab in whatever editor is convenient. In Parted Magic, the GUI editor "scite" works reasonably well. Add the following entry:

LABEL="mintboot"                     /boot   vfat        fmask=133       0 0

If you used a label name other than "mintboot" when you used mkdosfs, adjust it appropriately. Alternatively, you can use "blkid" to find a serial number ("UUID", although it's technically not that) and mount it that way, or by device filename.
  17. Save your changes to fstab.
  18. Type "blkid /dev/sda7". Note the UUID value returned.
  19. Using whatever editor is convenient, create a file called /mnt/boot/refind_linux.conf. It should have the following entry, but change "c607bd95-8edf-4eb1-aa93-12db8f0e66a2" to whatever UUID value you found in the previous step:

"Boot with defaults"         "root=UUID=c607bd95-8edf-4eb1-aa93-12db8f0e66a2 ro"

20. Save this file.
  21. Cleanly shut down and reboot the computer.
At this point, when rEFInd comes up, it should show you at least two boot options: One for Windows and one or more for Linux. Selecting the Linux option should boot Mint, assuming I've not forgotten anything.

As you follow this procedure, don't keep going if a step doesn't work as expected; many of the steps are critical to subsequent steps, so you'll waste time and maybe make matters worse if you skip ahead. If you have problems you can't overcome post back with more details, including a fresh Boot Info Script listing.

Sorry this procedure is so long. With the installer not supporting EFI mode, it's necessary to do things the hard way. The good news is that if you can get it all working in this way, you shouldn't need to do any more reconfiguration, except possibly to tweak things to your liking. (You can add a Mint icon or adjust your Linux boot options, for instance.)
louisgv

Post by louisgv »

I have repaired Window, and booting from it, though now I can't shutdown window completly (it just logout), this could be a bug or something, but now I'm on Window.

I have disabled Secure Boot from BIOS.

Now I'm trying to instal rEFInd, and when I type

mountvol S: /S
in the cmd with admin power, it comes with this output:

The system cannot find the file specified. 
Is that an error? Or before running the command, my cd should be somewhere else?

Best regard,

LGV
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

According to Microsoft's documentation, "mountvol" should work in Windows 8. Please be sure you're typing the command name correctly and that you're using an Administrator Command Prompt window, not a user Command Prompt window.

On my Windows 7 installation, mountvol.exe is in the C:\Windows\System32 directory, so you could try that complete path or go looking in that location for the program file.
louisgv

Post by louisgv »

I took a screenshot running mountvol:

photo sharing sites
Last edited by louisgv on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the image link
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

Your screen shot didn't make it through. There's an option to cut-and-paste text from Windows Command Prompt windows. It's buried in one of the window manager widgets, but I don't recall where, and I don't have a Windows system running right this moment.
louisgv

Post by louisgv »

Here's what in the cmd:

C:\Windows\system32>mountvol
Creates, deletes, or lists a volume mount point.

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path VolumeName
MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /D
MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /L
MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /P
MOUNTVOL /R
MOUNTVOL /N
MOUNTVOL /E
MOUNTVOL drive: /S

path        Specifies the existing NTFS directory where the mount
                point will reside.
    VolumeName  Specifies the volume name that is the target of the mount
                point.
    /D          Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory.
    /L          Lists the mounted volume name for the specified directory.
    /P          Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory,
                dismounts the volume, and makes the volume not mountable.
                You can make the volume mountable again by creating a volume
                mount point.
    /R          Removes volume mount point directories and registry settings
                for volumes that are no longer in the system.
    /N          Disables automatic mounting of new volumes.
    /E          Re-enables automatic mounting of new volumes.
    /S          Mount the EFI System Partition on the given drive.

Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

\\?\Volume{8f4d7e35-a04c-4cb1-8c1c-6583d4f403ef}\
        C:\

\\?\Volume{5a00c649-c072-4202-925c-612d79a60cf8}\
        E:\

\\?\Volume{81225df0-34af-11e2-be73-806e6f6e6963}\
        G:\

\\?\Volume{317d2f4b-78ab-43f4-9f90-6210f128fcfe}\
        *** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{d23279b8-dfad-41f5-adf6-53dd6d6917d0}\
        *** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{f5128962-1410-11e2-be6a-806e6f6e6963}\
        D:\

C:\Windows\system32>mountvol S: /S
The system cannot find the file specified.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

I see three possibilities. One is that your ESP is already mounted. Another is that your ESP isn't being properly identified by Windows. The final one is that Microsoft has made some subtle change to mountvol that's causing problems. To take these in turn....

You've got a number of drives identified by Windows -- C:, D:, E:, and G:. Check each of them for ESP files. If you find them, try the installation instructions using that drive identifier rather than S:, and skip the mountvol step.

For the possibility that Windows isn't identifying the ESP, try running gdisk (there's a Windows version; see here) and verify that your ESP (partition #3) has a type code of EF00 and that /dev/sda1 does not have that type code. If you make any changes, save them and try again. You may need to reboot before Windows will fully accept the changes.

Finally, if Microsoft has changed the behavior of mountvol, or if your system has some other quirk, it may be possible to try variants of the mountvol command to get it to work. Clearly Windows is finding the mountvol.exe command, so it doesn't like something else about it. My first recommendation is to try other drive identifiers rather than S:. (I just used that in my instructions because it's a high-enough number to not be used on most computers.) So try something like:

mountvol H: /S
I've specified a drive that you don't seem to be using (H:), but you could try mounting over some other drive that you are using but that's not critical (so presumably not C:). You could also try mounting on a directory rather than to a drive letter, as in:

mountvol C:\MY_ESP /S
Another option is to use the ESP's volume name rather than "/S":

mountvol S: EFIPART
You'll need to learn the volume name for the ESP (I've used "EFIPART" in this example, but of course yours is likely to be something else). GParted shows, and allows you to set, volume names (aka filesystem labels and similar terms).

An entirely different approach is to install rEFInd in some other way, such as by replacing the existing Windows boot loader file (EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi on the ESP) with rEFInd. If you do this, you can move bootmgfw.efi down one level (so that it's EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi on the ESP) and rEFInd will detect it. This is an ugly solution, but it has the advantage that you can do it from a BIOS-booted Linux emergency system. You'll probably be able to implement a cleaner solution after you get Linux booted in EFI mode.
louisgv

Post by louisgv »

It seems after changed sda3 to EF00, I could mount EFI partition to S:. The strange thing is that I can't not cd to it:

C:\Windows\system32>cd S:
S:\

C:\Windows\system32>cd S:\EFI

C:\Windows\system32>cd refind
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Windows\system32>

And I must use absolute path:

C:\Windows\system32>dir S:\EFI\
 Volume in drive S has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is BA47-4BDA

Directory of S:\EFI

10/11/2012  07:01 PM    <DIR>          .
10/11/2012  07:01 PM    <DIR>          ..
10/11/2012  07:01 PM    <DIR>          Microsoft
11/22/2012  06:30 PM    <DIR>          Boot
11/22/2012  06:30 PM    <DIR>          linuxmint
11/26/2012  11:00 PM    <DIR>          refind
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               6 Dir(s)     218,583,040 bytes free
That aside, I have successfully installed refind there (With editing the refind.conf), but after reboot, rEFInd doens't come at all. It just boot straight to Window. Another strange behaviour I noticed while using this machine is whenever it boot, it doesn't go straight to Window Bootloader, but first boot to a "Sony Bootloader" which take some seccond to load straight to Window :-?

Oh, and after changing sda3 to EF00, it seem Window can now shutdown peacefully :-?..
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

That aside, I have successfully installed refind there (With editing the refind.conf), but after reboot, rEFInd doens't come at all. It just boot straight to Window. Another strange behaviour I noticed while using this machine is whenever it boot, it doesn't go straight to Window Bootloader, but first boot to a "Sony Bootloader" which take some seccond to load straight to Window :-?
[Homer Simpson mumble]Stupid Sony.[/Homer Simpson mumble]

This complicates matters. My hunch is that Sony is using the EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi file on /dev/sda1 to boot the Windows boot loader, and this is causing the Windows bcdedit command to not have the desired effect. As a workaround, I recommend the following:
  1. Boot a Linux emergency disc. (You could do this from Windows, but you'd need to access /dev/sda1 from Windows.) You can use the Mint installer, Parted Magic, or anything else, but you may need root access for some of these actions. You do not need to use EFI mode for this boot.
  2. Mount /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda3 to two convenient mount points that you create (say, /mnt/sony and /mnt/esp).
  3. Rename /mnt/sony/EFI/boot to something else (say, /mnt/sony/EFI/sony).
  4. Do a "cp -r /mnt/esp/EFI/refind /mnt/sony/EFI/boot". This will copy the rEFInd you installed to the Sony partition using the directory name it used to use.
  5. Type "mv /mnt/sony/EFI/boot/refind_x64.efi /mnt/sony/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi". This gives rEFInd the same name as Sony's boot loader, so it should run instead of Sony's boot loader.
  6. Unmount /mnt/sony and /mnt/esp and reboot.
With any luck rEFInd should come up at this point and you should be able to boot Windows and continue the process I outlined earlier. Note that you'll probably have two extra rEFInd boot options, one of which boots Sony's boot loader (and from there into Windows) and the other of which boots your original rEFInd installation. You can clean these up later.

A caveat: I have no idea what the Sony boot loader is doing. It's conceivable that it's somehow critical to the boot process on your computer, which could cause this procedure to fail. (If it does, you should be able to reverse the process I just described to restore the system to bootability.) My hunch is that Sony is using its boot loader for some pre-boot checks that aren't really critical, though.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

zerozero wrote:to everyone in this topic: there's one issue with the 64bit isos (see this comment in the blog http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2216#comment-81935)
Thanks very much for that zerozero, you are quite right, there is no support in the version of Mint that I installed, but that was actually a good thing. The versions of Linux that I installed before trying Mint (Ubuntu and Fedora) both have Uefi support and both crippled my new laptop almost completely and resulted in me having to spend days and days searching for solutions, and the only solutions I found were physically dangerous to my machine. It was quite a relief to install Mint, find it had no so-called Uefi support and ending up with a distro that didn't boot, but at least didn't totally cripple my hardware.

All I needed to do to make Mint bootable was to boot into another distro and run the utility 'boot-repair' ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair ) and it worked.

If Mint's Uefi support is as utterly destructive as Ubuntu's and Fedora's I hope they never get it, they will be doing everyone a favour by not having it.
louisgv

Post by louisgv »

@srs5694:
I mounted sda1, sda3 and following what you said, and still rEFInd won't comes up.

On the way, I noticed the folder which hold bootx64.efi was named "Boot", not "boot".

So after rename the original /mnt/sony/EFI/Boot to /mnt/sony/EFI/sonyBoot and enter the command to copy refind to mnt/sony/EFI/boot (from sda3) there (Which , failed to boot rEFInd afterward); I tried rename the "boot" folder to "Boot", and still no result.

I'm thinking of backup the sda1 and sda3, and put only rEFInd there, and see if it finally boot. Will there anything I should be aware of while doing this?

Thanks,

LGV
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

louisgv wrote:@srs5694:
I mounted sda1, sda3 and following what you said, and still rEFInd won't comes up.
Is anything booting at that point? A fresh Boot Info Script output might be helpful at this point, or at least an "ls -R" listing of each of the partitions in question (/dev/sda1 and /dev/sda3).
On the way, I noticed the folder which hold bootx64.efi was named "Boot", not "boot".
That's irrelevant; FAT is a case-insensitive filesystem.
I'm thinking of backup the sda1 and sda3, and put only rEFInd there, and see if it finally boot. Will there anything I should be aware of while doing this?
If rEFInd is the only .efi program present on the ESP (or on Sony's equivalent, your /dev/sda1), and if it's called EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi, then it should boot.

That said, EFI implementations do vary a great deal from one to the other. Given the problems you're having, I suspect that either you're doing something very wrong or Sony's done something very strange with their implementation.
louisgv

Post by louisgv »

@srs5694:

New Bootinfo Script:

http://paste2.org/p/2536784

ls -R on sda1:

mint mint # ls -R /mnt/sony
/mnt/sony:
EFI

/mnt/sony/EFI:
Boot  Microsoft  SONYBOOT

/mnt/sony/EFI/Boot:
bootx64.efi  drivers_x64  icons  refind.conf

/mnt/sony/EFI/Boot/drivers_x64:
ext2_x64.efi  iso9660_x64.efi  LICENSE.txt
hfs_x64.efi   LICENSE_GPL.txt  reiserfs_x64.efi

/mnt/sony/EFI/Boot/icons:
arrow_left.icns     os_debian.icns       os_linuxmint.icns  os_unknown.icns
arrow_right.icns    os_ecomstation.icns  os_mac.icns        os_win.icns
boot_linux.icns     os_fedora.icns       os_mandriva.icns   tool_part.icns
boot_win.icns       os_freebsd.icns      os_netbsd.icns     tool_shell.icns
func_about.icns     os_freedos.icns      os_openbsd.icns    vol_external.icns
func_exit.icns      os_gentoo.icns       os_redhat.icns     vol_internal.icns
func_reset.icns     os_gummiboot.icns    os_refit.icns      vol_optical.icns
func_shutdown.icns  os_hwtest.icns       os_slackware.icns
os_arch.icns        os_legacy.icns       os_suse.icns
os_centos.icns      os_linux.icns        os_ubuntu.icns

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft:
Boot

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot:
BCD           da-dk  es-es  hu-hu  memtest.efi  pt-br      sv-se  zh-tw
BCD.LOG       de-de  fi-fi  it-it  nb-no        pt-pt      tr-tr
bootmgfw.efi  el-gr  Fonts  ja-jp  nl-nl        Resources  zh-cn
cs-cz         en-us  fr-fr  ko-kr  pl-pl        ru-ru      zh-hk

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/cs-cz:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/da-dk:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/de-de:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/el-gr:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-us:
bootmgfw.efi.mui  memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/es-es:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fi-fi:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts:
chs_boot.ttf  kor_boot.ttf     msjh_boot.ttf     segoe_slboot.ttf
cht_boot.ttf  malgun_boot.ttf  msyh_boot.ttf     wgl4_boot.ttf
jpn_boot.ttf  meiryo_boot.ttf  segmono_boot.ttf

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fr-fr:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hu-hu:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/it-it:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ja-jp:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ko-kr:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nb-no:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nl-nl:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pl-pl:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-br:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-pt:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources:
bootres.dll

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ru-ru:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sv-se:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/tr-tr:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-cn:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-hk:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-tw:
memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT:
bg-bg        de-de  es-es  hr-hr  ko-kr  nl-nl  ro-ro  sr-latn-cs  zh-cn
bootx64.efi  el-gr  et-ee  hu-hu  lt-lt  pl-pl  ru-ru  sv-se       zh-hk
cs-cz        en-gb  fi-fi  it-it  lv-lv  pt-br  sk-sk  tr-tr       zh-tw
da-dk        en-us  fr-fr  ja-jp  nb-no  pt-pt  sl-si  uk-ua

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/bg-bg:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/cs-cz:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/da-dk:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/de-de:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/el-gr:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/en-gb:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/en-us:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/es-es:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/et-ee:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/fi-fi:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/fr-fr:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/hr-hr:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/hu-hu:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/it-it:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/ja-jp:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/ko-kr:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/lt-lt:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/lv-lv:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/nb-no:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/nl-nl:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/pl-pl:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/pt-br:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/pt-pt:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/ro-ro:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/ru-ru:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/sk-sk:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/sl-si:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/sr-latn-cs:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/sv-se:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/tr-tr:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/uk-ua:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/zh-cn:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/zh-hk:
bootx64.efi.mui

/mnt/sony/EFI/SONYBOOT/zh-tw:
bootx64.efi.mui
ls -R on sda3:

mint mint # ls -R /mnt/esp
/mnt/esp:
Boot  bootmgr  BOOTNXT  EFI

/mnt/esp/Boot:
BCD           cs-CZ  es-ES  hu-HU  memtest.exe  qps-ploc   sr-Latn-CS  zh-TW
BCD.LOG       da-DK  et-EE  it-IT  nb-NO        Resources  sv-SE
BCD.LOG1      de-DE  fi-FI  ja-JP  nl-NL        ro-RO      tr-TR
BCD.LOG2      el-GR  Fonts  ko-KR  pl-PL        ru-RU      uk-UA
bg-BG         en-GB  fr-FR  lt-LT  pt-BR        sk-SK      zh-CN
BOOTSTAT.DAT  en-US  hr-HR  lv-LV  pt-PT        sl-SI      zh-HK

/mnt/esp/Boot/bg-BG:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/cs-CZ:
bootmgr.exe.mui  memtest.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/da-DK:

/mnt/esp/Boot/de-DE:

/mnt/esp/Boot/el-GR:

/mnt/esp/Boot/en-GB:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/en-US:

/mnt/esp/Boot/es-ES:

/mnt/esp/Boot/et-EE:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/fi-FI:

/mnt/esp/Boot/Fonts:
chs_boot.ttf  malgun_boot.ttf   msjh_boot.ttf   segmono_boot.ttf
cht_boot.ttf  malgunn_boot.ttf  msjhn_boot.ttf  segoen_slboot.ttf
jpn_boot.ttf  meiryo_boot.ttf   msyh_boot.ttf   segoe_slboot.ttf
kor_boot.ttf  meiryon_boot.ttf  msyhn_boot.ttf  wgl4_boot.ttf

/mnt/esp/Boot/fr-FR:

/mnt/esp/Boot/hr-HR:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/hu-HU:

/mnt/esp/Boot/it-IT:

/mnt/esp/Boot/ja-JP:

/mnt/esp/Boot/ko-KR:

/mnt/esp/Boot/lt-LT:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/lv-LV:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/nb-NO:

/mnt/esp/Boot/nl-NL:

/mnt/esp/Boot/pl-PL:

/mnt/esp/Boot/pt-BR:

/mnt/esp/Boot/pt-PT:

/mnt/esp/Boot/qps-ploc:

/mnt/esp/Boot/Resources:
bootres.dll  en-US  fr-FR  zh-CN

/mnt/esp/Boot/Resources/en-US:
bootres.dll.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/Resources/fr-FR:
bootres.dll.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/Resources/zh-CN:
bootres.dll.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/ro-RO:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/ru-RU:

/mnt/esp/Boot/sk-SK:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/sl-SI:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/sr-Latn-CS:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/sv-SE:

/mnt/esp/Boot/tr-TR:

/mnt/esp/Boot/uk-UA:
bootmgr.exe.mui

/mnt/esp/Boot/zh-CN:

/mnt/esp/Boot/zh-HK:

/mnt/esp/Boot/zh-TW:

/mnt/esp/EFI:
Boot  linuxmint  Microsoft  refind

/mnt/esp/EFI/Boot:
bootx64.efi  bootx64.efi.bkp

/mnt/esp/EFI/linuxmint:
grubx64.efi

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft:
Boot

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot:
BCD           BOOTSTAT.DAT     el-GR  fr-FR  lv-LV        qps-ploc    sv-SE
BCD.LOG       boot.stl         en-GB  hr-HR  memtest.efi  Resources   tr-TR
BCD.LOG1      bootx64.efi      en-US  hu-HU  nb-NO        ro-RO       uk-UA
BCD.LOG2      bootx64.efi.grb  es-ES  it-IT  nl-NL        ru-RU       zh-CN
bg-BG         cs-CZ            et-EE  ja-JP  pl-PL        sk-SK       zh-HK
bootmgfw.efi  da-DK            fi-FI  ko-KR  pt-BR        sl-SI       zh-TW
bootmgr.efi   de-DE            Fonts  lt-LT  pt-PT        sr-Latn-CS

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bg-BG:
bootmgfw.efi.mui  bootmgr.efi.mui

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/cs-CZ:
bootmgfw.efi.mui  bootmgr.efi.mui  memtest.efi.mui

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/da-DK:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/de-DE:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/el-GR:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-GB:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-US:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/es-ES:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/et-EE:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fi-FI:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Fonts:
chs_boot.ttf  malgun_boot.ttf   msjh_boot.ttf   segmono_boot.ttf
cht_boot.ttf  malgunn_boot.ttf  msjhn_boot.ttf  segoen_slboot.ttf
jpn_boot.ttf  meiryo_boot.ttf   msyh_boot.ttf   segoe_slboot.ttf
kor_boot.ttf  meiryon_boot.ttf  msyhn_boot.ttf  wgl4_boot.ttf

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/fr-FR:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hr-HR:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/hu-HU:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/it-IT:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ja-JP:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ko-KR:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/lt-LT:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/lv-LV:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nb-NO:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/nl-NL:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pl-PL:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-BR:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/pt-PT:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/qps-ploc:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources:
bootres.dll  en-US  fr-FR  zh-CN  zh-HK

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources/en-US:
bootres.dll.mui

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources/fr-FR:
bootres.dll.mui

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources/zh-CN:
bootres.dll.mui

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/Resources/zh-HK:
bootres.dll.mui

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ro-RO:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ru-RU:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sk-SK:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sl-SI:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sr-Latn-CS:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/sv-SE:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/tr-TR:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/uk-UA:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-CN:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-HK:

/mnt/esp/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/zh-TW:

/mnt/esp/EFI/refind:
drivers_x64  icons  refind.conf  refind_x64.efi

/mnt/esp/EFI/refind/drivers_x64:
ext2_x64.efi  iso9660_x64.efi  LICENSE.txt
hfs_x64.efi   LICENSE_GPL.txt  reiserfs_x64.efi

/mnt/esp/EFI/refind/icons:
arrow_left.icns     os_debian.icns       os_linuxmint.icns  os_unknown.icns
arrow_right.icns    os_ecomstation.icns  os_mac.icns        os_win.icns
boot_linux.icns     os_fedora.icns       os_mandriva.icns   tool_part.icns
boot_win.icns       os_freebsd.icns      os_netbsd.icns     tool_shell.icns
func_about.icns     os_freedos.icns      os_openbsd.icns    vol_external.icns
func_exit.icns      os_gentoo.icns       os_redhat.icns     vol_internal.icns
func_reset.icns     os_gummiboot.icns    os_refit.icns      vol_optical.icns
func_shutdown.icns  os_hwtest.icns       os_slackware.icns
os_arch.icns        os_legacy.icns       os_suse.icns
os_centos.icns      os_linux.icns        os_ubuntu.icns
Thanks,

LGV
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

On both partitions, move EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi down one level, so that it's EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi. It's also unclear what EFI/boot/bootx64.efi is on the ESP, so you may want to rename that directory. If that fails, try moving rEFInd into place as EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi (along with refind.conf and the icons subdirectory).

Return to “Installation & Boot”