[SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby Amithiel on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Hey guys, i Just installed the new cinnamon 1.6, along with nemo. but i can't set it as default file manager
Nautilus still pops up. I'm affraid of removing nautilus and can't work then.
I searched google but all i can find is big tutorials evolving command line and extense scripts. i mean... come on, issn't there an easy way to just set it as default?
Last edited by Amithiel on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
LinuxMint 17 rc Cinnamon + Kernel 3.14.4 = Happiness
User avatar
Amithiel
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Changing default File Manager

Postby Amithiel on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Its amazing, no matter how hard i search, i keep getting also other foruns with people asking this question and no replies. even on IRC, everybody avoids this question!
It's either so easy to do, that no one's bothering to help, Or, it's so hard that's impossible to do it!
I found a supposed way to make it work: " right click any folder, click open with... and select nemo, then mark to always open with it". There's no "open with nemo".
There is "open with (files)" that happens to be nemo, but there's no option to set it as default.
I saw a guy facing the same issue and decided to remove nautilus. the result was: Nemo not opening by default, he lost his file manager.
I would prefer avoiding that, but i guess i have to quit searching this. it's a dead end
Also, someone said on another blog, to go for "prefered applications list". I don't know what the hell these people are talking about!! there is a "List" going to preferences/details/default applications, but there's no "file manager" to choose! i must be blind here.
And then, theres another group of people that didn't even had to do anything at all! installed cinnamon 1.6, reboot and thei're using nemo as default!
this is driving me mad...

The way i updated my system was:
- enabling romeo on the update manager as suggested
- updating cinnamon
- reboot
- disable romeo again

That's it! no errors at all, no issues, just the damn nautilus still remains the default file manager!
Image
LinuxMint 17 rc Cinnamon + Kernel 3.14.4 = Happiness
User avatar
Amithiel
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Changing default File Manager

Postby sintetico on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:04 am

After that you go to Menu -> Preferences -> Software Manager ...search for Nautilus ...uninstall it ...restart your computer.
The desktop icons of Computer and Home have disappeared.
To restore them go to Menu -> Accessories ...right click on Files and click Add to desktop.
Now you have a shortcut to Nemo on your desktop, to change its right click on it -> Properties ...click on the icon and navigate to
/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/devices/128/computer.svg
Change the name of the shortcut to Computer and you are done.
sintetico
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:16 am
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Changing default File Manager

Postby Amithiel on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:57 pm

THANKS GOD! finally, a viable solution. Thanks so much man, seriously. afterall, no harm removing nautilus :)
Cheers dude!
Image
LinuxMint 17 rc Cinnamon + Kernel 3.14.4 = Happiness
User avatar
Amithiel
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby shnplr on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 am

Or...
Preferences --> Cinnamon Settings --> Desktop --> (make icons visible)
shnplr
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:22 am

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby cygnus on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 am

cygnus
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 am

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby h.liem.n on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Guys a much easier method and it worked for me is to right-click on the panel, Troubleshoot, Restore all settings to default. You will have to re-configure your favourite, panel, and shortcuts, etc.
h.liem.n
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby PiMinto on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:21 am

cygnus
This is what I did:

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=115611&p=648075#p648075


I followed those instructions and it worked. This is what I did (without removing nautilus):
Open /usr/share/applications/defaults.list (as admin)
search for the line with "nautilus" and replace with "nemo"
save, close, and nemo is now the default.

if anyone is helplessly clicking the 'files' icon in the panel and still encountering Nautilus, as I was, remember to remove the existing icon (Nautilus) and add Nemo.(look for it as "Files" in the menu, green folder icon and right click > add to panel)
PiMinto
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:50 am

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby PiMinto on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:44 am

PiMinto wrote:
cygnus
This is what I did:

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=115611&p=648075#p648075


I followed those instructions and it worked. This is what I did (without removing nautilus):
Open /usr/share/applications/defaults.list (as admin)
search for the line with "nautilus" and replace with "nemo"
save, close, and nemo is now the default.

if anyone is helplessly clicking the 'files' icon in the panel and still encountering Nautilus, as I was, remember to remove the existing icon (Nautilus) and add Nemo.(look for it as "Files" in the menu, green folder icon and right click > add to panel)


The above change to defaults.list seems temporary - on reboot it's back to nautilus. Can this thread revert to unsolved?
PiMinto
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:50 am

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby zeddock on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:39 pm

deafults.list seems to be temporary and resets after reboot for me. (I was trying to add another default proggy, but still.)

If anyone has solution to this please advise.

Zeddock
zeddock
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby cygnus on Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

PiMinto wrote:
PiMinto wrote:
cygnus
This is what I did:

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=115611&p=648075#p648075


I followed those instructions and it worked. This is what I did (without removing nautilus):
Open /usr/share/applications/defaults.list (as admin)
search for the line with "nautilus" and replace with "nemo"
save, close, and nemo is now the default.

if anyone is helplessly clicking the 'files' icon in the panel and still encountering Nautilus, as I was, remember to remove the existing icon (Nautilus) and add Nemo.(look for it as "Files" in the menu, green folder icon and right click > add to panel)


The above change to defaults.list seems temporary - on reboot it's back to nautilus. Can this thread revert to unsolved?


I've rebooted many times and it never reverted back for me. Maybe something in the init scripts is overwriting it? For the record I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, not Mint.
cygnus
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 am

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby zeddock on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:00 pm

...Looks like you have to change this one too or it won’t survive reboot: sudo gedit /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/mime/defaults.list
zeddock
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby erie88 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:05 pm

I found out the trick here http://www.fandigital.com/:
Open in terminal:
Code: Select all
xdg-mime query default inode/directory

(to check the default file manager)

Then write this:
Code: Select all
xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application


hopefully this could help. May need with sudo.
erie88
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:24 am

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby subxaero on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 am

erie88 wrote:I found out the trick here http://www.fandigital.com/:
Open in terminal:
Code: Select all
xdg-mime query default inode/directory

(to check the default file manager)

Then write this:
Code: Select all
xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application


hopefully this could help. May need with sudo.


This works for me. Thanks.
subxaero
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:52 am

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Postby dereism on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 pm

erie88 wrote:I found out the trick here http://www.fandigital.com/:
Open in terminal:
Code: Select all
xdg-mime query default inode/directory

(to check the default file manager)

Then write this:
Code: Select all
xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application


hopefully this could help. May need with sudo.


This appears to be working on a Fedora 18 install as well. Thank you so much!
dereism
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 39 guests