Webcam

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Deathvulture65

How do i get my webcam to work with skype

Post by Deathvulture65 »

I have skype downloaded and can not get my webcam to work with skype it works when i do a preview with the video 4 linux control pannel and skype recognizes that i have a webcam but it will not turn on or show video when i try to use it on skype if anyone could tell me how to get it to work that would be great
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: How do i get my webcam to work with skype

Post by nomko »

Please provide us with more info about your Mint version, brand/model/type webcam etc. Without this information, we can not help you as we would like.

This is a hint for you in the future to use: always give as much information in your post regarding your system, (error) messages, hardware, Mint version.
TaraAthena

Webcam

Post by TaraAthena »

I have tried a bunch of different things to get Skype to work, but it appears that I don't have a video device installed, and nothing I have tried has worked. I have Mint 15, and I think a 32bit, but I'm not positive. I have installed Cheese and Camorama, camera still not working. Please help?
TaraAthena

Post by TaraAthena »

Video device not working. I am soooo brand new. Please help, I've tried everything I could find on google. I have Mint 15.
TaraAthena

Post by TaraAthena »

I have no clue how to get that information. I have an intel centrino duo..... that's about all i know, and mint 15. I THINK i have 32 bit, but could be 64.
TaraAthena

Post by TaraAthena »

i have a VAIO
TaraAthena

Post by TaraAthena »

i have cinnamon 32 bit
TaraAthena

Post by TaraAthena »

My camera is recognized but my video is showing up as black, also for Cheese. Thanks!!
nomko

Post by nomko »

---cut---
Last edited by nomko on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
nomko

Re: Webcam

Post by nomko »

Okay, first of all i would like to point out the [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444]forum rules[/url] to you and especially rule #5 about providing as much details as possible.

That being said, now we want details, details and details about your system and webcam. So, can you do this:

1 - open a terminal
2 - run the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -F
3 - copy the output using Ctrl+Shift+C after selecting the output
4 - paste the output here

5 - now run the following command in the same terminal:

lsusb
6 - repeat steps 3 and 4

Thanks!
hugonz

Post by hugonz »

There's this thing with Skype, that it uses old V4L v1 (video for linux version 1) interface instead of the v4lv2 interface. If the webcam works in another application (Cheese, for example) and not on Skype, this may be your problem. I had this problem with Xubuntu 12.04

There is a wrapper that you can use with Skype for this, Apparently this should work (on the command line)

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype
I checked on my Mint 15 system and the library is there, so maybe give it a try.
SteveNorfolk

Post by SteveNorfolk »

I have a Logitech STX Communicate webcam and when I log in to Skype I always check options to see if there is a picture. The problem is sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't. If someone contacts me through Skype and it happens to be one of those days when it doesn't work, I can see and hear them but they cannot see and hear me. I therefore have to log out of Linux and reboot into XP. Can anyone help me to explain this ?

Return to “Beginner Questions”