Mint 13 Cinnamon installed now won't boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PaganPen

Mint 13 Cinnamon installed now won't boot

Post by PaganPen »

Dear all,

I realise there are overlapping posts, but having spent several days trying to figure this one, I thought I should post in the end!

I have an older Fujitsue Siemens Scaleo P desktop that previously ran win xp until it became so buggy that it would no longer even boot. My son needs a machine for his homework so I thought I could breathe life back into the old machine with a linux install. I read the reviews and finally chose MINT as the one I'd like to install. I downloaded and burnt copies of MINT 14 MATE and MINT 13 CINNAMON. Installation was not at all straightforward. Sometimes a lice CD would work and sometimes it would just hang. I scoured the forums and tried various combinations of nomodeset, nolapic, loapic, nvidia.modeset=o and eventually I managed to install MINT 14, but then with a shutdown and reboot it would not boot. So after some more tussles I managed to install MINT 13. This took some doing as at first it would fail on Xorg - so no graphical interface. Through scouring forums I eventually tried code to purge the standard video drivers and make MINT use the proprietry nvidia drivers - voila - it worked. I had MINT 13 running - it looked great, and even started on reboot. Then I downloaded and installed a few software packages, including WINE. Whilst using WINE, the system froze and no key combination would revive it - so had to hold down the power until it went off and reboot. Only it wouldn't.

Current situation - I can't reboot into MINT 13 not even in recovery. I can't boot a live CD of either MINT editions.

I know from previous experimentation that FEDORA 17 seems to install without problem, but I just didn't like it as much, so how to remedy MINT?

The machine has a Intel® Pentium® 4 HT, an Nvidia Geforce 6200 video card in PCI express. It has onboard sound but also a SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 card plugged in. It has two HDs, an optical drive, but does not boot from USB. Its an ASUS motherboard with American Megatrends BIOS dating to about 2005 - can't find any newer.

I'm guessing this is still something to do with the NVIDIA card? But if I try and boot in recovery mode, the last line I see is [ 6.258196] Audigy2 value: Special config. After that is just the blinking cursor, it hangs and seemingly the keyboard is also lifeless as you can't apply num lock

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
741cc

Re: Mint 13 Cinnamon installed now won't boot

Post by 741cc »

How much ram do you have on that box? I'm guessing its fairly old hardware. Mint 13 Release Notes http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2031 recommend 1GB ram, with a minimum of 512MB.
The XFCE and LXDE desktops will run better on lower spec machines and they are quite similar to Cinnamon/Mate. Maybe worth a try.
PaganPen

Re: Mint 13 Cinnamon installed now won't boot

Post by PaganPen »

Hi there - it has 3gb of ram - the max for that 32bit machine - so that shouldn't be a problem. I ran the memory test and it seemed to pass everything -
but could give that a go -

thanks,

PP

Return to “Installation & Boot”