Mint 14: Eclipse Juno + MATE = ugly

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ariekenb

Mint 14: Eclipse Juno + MATE = ugly

Post by ariekenb »

I'm running Mint 14 with MATE and the latest version of Eclipse Juno downloaded from eclipse.org (SR1). The trouble is eclipse is nearly unusably ugly with the Mint-X theme in MATE. See the attached screenshot for an example. The trouble seems to be the backgrounds of buttons (grey) is different from other nearby colors, so things end up looking broken. I've played with the theme settings in eclipse (GTK, Classic, Default) but this doesn't help much.

I previously used Mint 13 with MATE, and I used the Mint-Z theme specifically because eclipse looked much better with it. Unfortunately it looks like Mint-Z is dead in Mint 14, so this is no longer an option.

Has anybody found a good way around this?
eclipse.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jsyn

Re: Mint 14: Eclipse Juno + MATE = ugly

Post by jsyn »

I have exactly same issue but with Mint 14 Cinnamon edition. Icon buttons have gray gradient background and little border down there exactly like ariekenb's MATE version. I'm using default theme and Mint-X icon theme.

Problem is probably in all Eclipse editions ( personally tested Eclipse 4.2, 3.8, 3.7 ). I tried to customize E4.2 with another themes but with no effect on this "corrupted" buttons.
uda

Post by uda »

it's simply the way gtk looks, I used this .gtkrc-2.0
http://lj4newbies.blogspot.co.il/2008/0 ... buntu.html
Giambo

Post by Giambo »

I had the same problem with Mint 14 (Cinnamon), the gradient on the Eclipse toolbar is just plain ugly.
Switching to another GTK theme, like Adwaita is not an option, I love Mint-X (Also Mint-Z, but is discontinued with Mint 14 :( ...)

So, in order to overall disable the ugly gradient:
  • Edit the main theme file:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

• Move to the block style "toolbar" (Line 159) and comment the whole subsection engine "pixmap". Should look like:

Code: Select all

style "toolbar" 
    {
    	GtkToolbar::internal-padding 			= 3

bg[NORMAL] 					= @bg_color
    	fg[NORMAL] 					= @fg_color
    	fg[PRELIGHT] 					= "#000000"
    	fg[ACTIVE] 					= @fg_color

#	engine "pixmap" 
    #	{
    #		image
    #		{
    #			function 			= BOX
    #			recolorable 			= TRUE
    #			stretch 			= TRUE
    #			file 				= "Bars/toolbarbg.png"
    #			border 				= { 0, 0, 0, 2}
    #		}
    #	}
    } 

• Save&Quit, done :D !
I'm sure there's a better way (Edit ~/.gtkrc-2.0 ?), if someone knows how, please tell me ;) !
jsyn

Post by jsyn »

it works like charm. thanks!

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”