[Mint 14] How do I view shared folders on Network? [solved]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michaeljwjr

[Mint 14] How do I view shared folders on Network? [solved]

Post by michaeljwjr »

Clicked Share folder, and then selected Samba (only choice) what more do I need to do in order to see the shared folder on my laptop or desktop? They are both connected via the same router and have working connections.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [Mint 14] How do I view shared folders on Network?

Post by altair4 »

Clicked Share folder, and then selected Samba (only choice)
Can you tell us where you are doing this. There's a "Sharing Options" in Nemo but even after clicking it never mentions samba.

If you are doing this from the Menu can you give us the path.

If you think you are using samba please post the output of the following commands:

Code: Select all

testparm -s
net usershare info --long
smbtree
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
michaeljwjr

Post by michaeljwjr »

altair4 wrote:
Clicked Share folder, and then selected Samba (only choice)
Can you tell us where you are doing this. There's a "Sharing Options" in Nemo but even after clicking it never mentions samba.

If you are doing this from the Menu can you give us the path.

If you think you are using samba please post the output of the following commands:

testparm -s
smbtree

Ok I don't know what Nemo is. I typed it in my Menu Search bar and it gave me nothing.

When I right click on the folders in the browser (window's style) I see Sharing and I go through that process. The output of your commands are as follows:

michaeljwjr@michaeljwjr-desktop ~ $ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[michaeljwjr]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
	server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[michaeljwjr]
	path = /home/michaeljwjr
	guest ok = Yes
michaeljwjr@michaeljwjr-desktop ~ $ net usershare info --long
michaeljwjr@michaeljwjr-desktop ~ $ smbtree
Enter michaeljwjr's password: 
WORKGROUP-LINUX
	\\PJM-PC         		
WORKGROUP
	\\MICHAELJWJR-LAP		michaeljwjr-laptop server (Samba, LinuxMint)
		\\MICHAELJWJR-LAP\print$         	Printer Drivers
		\\MICHAELJWJR-LAP\The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD	
		\\MICHAELJWJR-LAP\IPC$           	IPC Service (michaeljwjr-laptop server (Samba, LinuxMint))
	\\MICHAELJWJR-DESK		michaeljwjr-desktop server (Samba, LinuxMint)
		\\MICHAELJWJR-DESK\IPC$           	IPC Service (michaeljwjr-desktop server (Samba, LinuxMint))
		\\MICHAELJWJR-DESK\print$         	Printer Drivers
		\\MICHAELJWJR-DESK\michaeljwjr    	
Thank you for your assistance thus far.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Ok I don't know what Nemo is. I typed it in my Menu Search bar and it gave me nothing. When I right click on the folders in the browser (window's style) I see Sharing and I go through that process.
I am not familiar with the Desktop you are using. It doesn't appear to be Mint14 Cinnamon so I'm guessing it's MATE which would explain why I don't understand your post. I don't even understand the "windows style" reference.

In any event the problem is your hostname. Samba automatically makes the netbios name ( the name that it presents to the network ) match the host name but in your case it's too long. The easiest way to resolve this is to use samba itself to broadcast a shorter name.

Edit smb.conf as root:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Change gedit to whatever the default text editor is on your operating system.

On this machine "michaeljwjr-laptop" add the following line right under the workgroup line:

netbios name = mjwjr-laptop
And on this machine "michaeljwjr-desktop" add the following line right under the workgroup line:

netbios name = mjwjr-desktop
They don't have to be those exact names but both must be 15 characters or less in length.

After adding the line restart samba on both machines:

sudo service smbd restart
sudo service nmbd restart
Wait a few minutes before trying to access those machines.

If that doesn't resolve it by itself you might want to go through the checklist:
Samba Browsing Problems Checklist: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 46&start=0
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
michaeljwjr

Post by michaeljwjr »

@altair4 thank you very much that all worked. I can now see my shared Mint14Mate folders across both linux machines, and even across my Win7 machines. However on my laptop I don't appear to be able to share any other folders than the original one I shared. I do the same process (trying to share my home folder across my network) and when I do the same process I used to originally share, the new folder is not appearing in my network.

I ran the smbd and nmbd commands you told me and it did not change anything.

Also. I can see/use my Mint14Mate folders on my Win7 machines, but I can't access the shared folders on my Win7 machine from Mint14Mate.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

However on my laptop I don't appear to be able to share any other folders than the original one I shared. I do the same process (trying to share my home folder across my network) and when I do the same process I used to originally share, the new folder is not appearing in my network.
Post the output of following commands from your laptop:

testparm -s
smbtree
michaeljwjr

Post by michaeljwjr »

altair4 wrote:
However on my laptop I don't appear to be able to share any other folders than the original one I shared. I do the same process (trying to share my home folder across my network) and when I do the same process I used to originally share, the new folder is not appearing in my network.
Post the output of following commands from your laptop:

testparm -s
smbtree

michaeljwjr@michaeljwjr-laptop ~ $ testparm -s
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]"
Processing section "[The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
These may not be accessible to some older clients.
(Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]
	workgroup = WORKGROUP-LINUX
	netbios name = MJWJR-LAPTOP
	server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]
	path = /home/michaeljwjr/Downloads/Torrent/The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]
	guest ok = Yes
michaeljwjr@michaeljwjr-laptop ~ $ net usershare info --long
michaeljwjr@michaeljwjr-laptop ~ $ smbtree
Enter michaeljwjr's password: 
WORKGROUP-LINUX
	\\MJWJR-LAPTOP   		michaeljwjr-laptop server (Samba, LinuxMint)
		\\MJWJR-LAPTOP\IPC$           	IPC Service (michaeljwjr-laptop server (Samba, LinuxMint))
		\\MJWJR-LAPTOP\The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD	
		\\MJWJR-LAPTOP\print$         	Printer Drivers
	\\MICHAELJWJR-DES		Michaeljwjr
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

To be honest I have no idea how Samba would handle a share named: The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD. I also have no idea why testparm is trying to process that share definition 9 times.

You might want to edit smb.conf directly and change this:
path = /home/michaeljwjr/Downloads/Torrent/The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD]
guest ok = Yes
To this:
[The-Dark-Knight]
guest ok = Yes
Then restart samba:

michaeljwjr

Post by michaeljwjr »

altair4 wrote:To be honest I have no idea how Samba would handle a share named: The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012.720p.BluRay.x264-SPARKS [PublicHD. I also have no idea why testparm is trying to process that share definition 9 times.

You might want to edit smb.conf directly and change this:
guest ok = Yes
To this:
[The-Dark-Knight]
guest ok = Yes
Then restart samba:

The thing is, I want to share the entire home folder on my laptop, yet I can't do that. Every time I try it doesn't work. I've even renamed that folder and my other computers still see "the dark knight..." entire name.
michaeljwjr

Post by michaeljwjr »

it feels like my laptop is stuck sharing that one folder no matter what. I can't share anything else at all on that network.
michaeljwjr

Post by michaeljwjr »

It turns out that even though I've changed my hostname in smb.conf:

netbios name = mjwjr-laptop
hostname still gives me:

michaeljwjr-laptop
and when I try to sudo service nmbd restart:

sudo: unable to resolve host michaeljwjr-laptop
nmbd stop/waiting
nmbd start/running, process 2621
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

"netbios name" and hostname are 2 different things. Samba in debian makes the netbios name match the hostname but it can be overridden in smb.conf so that the netbios name can be something else. It has no affect on the real hostname. I suggested you do it this way to prevent what just happened to you.

The unable to resolve hostname error is because you changed the actual hostname in only one location. It must be changed in these 2 locations:

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 mjwjr-laptop
/etc/hostname
mjwjr-laptop
michaeljwjr

Post by michaeljwjr »

altair4 wrote:"netbios name" and hostname are 2 different things. Samba in debian makes the netbios name match the hostname but it can be overridden in smb.conf so that the netbios name can be something else. It has no affect on the real hostname. I suggested you do it this way to prevent what just happened to you.

The unable to resolve hostname error is because you changed the actual hostname in only one location. It must be changed in these 2 locations:

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 mjwjr-laptop
/etc/hostname
mjwjr-laptop

Everything works fantastic, Thank you very much for all your help I learned a lot through this thread.

Return to “Networking”