linuxmint 13 cinnamon 1.6.7 is broken

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mhrpinca

linuxmint 13 cinnamon 1.6.7 is broken

Post by mhrpinca »

hi.. i just installed cinnamon 1.6.7 on linux mint 13 via synaptic. i activated the romeo and backports options, now when i boot into a cinnamon session all i get is my mouse arrow and wallpaper no UI... sucks what to do, what to do? should i just kill myself or try to fix this and how?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: linuxmint 13 cinnamon 1.6.7 is broken

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mhrpinca.

As my update from Cinnamon 1.4 UP3 to Cinnamon 1.6.7 on Linux Mint 13 went smoothly and gave me no hassle at all, I do not think that killing yourself will be the appropriate approach. - Can you press <Alt><F2> on the empty desktop? Doing so should bring up a tiny edit box telling you to type in a command. Type in

Code: Select all

nemo -n
please. This should launch Nemo and Nemo should display the desktop.

Provided this works, the next step will be making sure that

nemo -n
will be executed everytime you logon automatically.
  • Open a terminal session and execute

sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop
    This will allow you to view and modify all startup items by unhiding them all.
  • Go to Menu => Preferences => Startup Programs
  • Make sure that exactly one item named "Files" is active which either launches

nemo -n
    or

nautilus -n
    The choice depends on whether you wish Nemo (new since Cinamon 1.6) or Nautilus (up to Cinnamon 1.4 UP3) to handle your desktop and your files and folders.
Provided everything has worked as explained above, you may verify everything is all right by logging off and back on again. Once you have logged back in your desktop should be displayed properly including the bottom panel and all its items, no matter whether you chose Nemo or Nautilus.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Thanks for that Karl.

I had a similar issue (Alt-F2 R resulted in loss of window menus etc).

Following your instructions revealed that both Nautilus and Nemo were startups for the desktop. So I removed Nautilus and all is ok now.
mhrpinca

Re: linuxmint 13 cinnamon 1.6.7 is broken: solved

Post by mhrpinca »

:mrgreen: i booted into a mate session updated muffin, rebooted into cinnamon and the problem was solved. thanks for your replies folks.
deetailed

Post by deetailed »

OP's problem is already solved, but in case someone else couldn't get that to work, here's what I did when my Cinnamon 1.6.7 was broken:
1. Log into Gnome session
2. Change Panel layout in Cinnamon settings to "Classic" (it was "Flipped" before I upgraded Cinnamon)
3. Log out
4. Log into Cinnamon with no problem
5 (optional). Set the panel layout back to Flipped

Return to “Cinnamon”