Wireless Ubuntu 12.10 vs Mint 14

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobd13045

Wireless Ubuntu 12.10 vs Mint 14

Post by bobd13045 »

I have a Dell Mini 9. I have no problem with Ubuntu 12.10 seeing and connecting to my STA Broad Com wireless adaptor. With Mint 14 Cinnamon or Mate can't see it. Whats the problem since Mint is based on Ubuntu? I like mint, but I'm getting discouraged. I think Mint needs to put out an update fix and not a work around if there is one.

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
axel668

Re: Wireless Ubuntu 12.10 vs Mint 14

Post by axel668 »

could be that Mint has not installed that driver by default, you could try to install broadcom-sta-common from synaptic, if it's not already installed. if that doesn't help, maybe it was fixed in an update, which Mint is holding back (they are holding back updates for critical components like drivers and kernel, so they don't mess up working systems), so the next thing I'd try would be updating to the latest Ubuntu packages, using the command line
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

don't get discouraged yet, there's still hope :)
bobd13045

Post by bobd13045 »

axel668 wrote:could be that Mint has not installed that driver by default, you could try to install broadcom-sta-common from synaptic, if it's not already installed. if that doesn't help, maybe it was fixed in an update, which Mint is holding back (they are holding back updates for critical components like drivers and kernel, so they don't mess up working systems), so the next thing I'd try would be updating to the latest Ubuntu packages, using the command line
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

don't get discouraged yet, there's still hope :)
Thanks axel668. I'll give it a try.

Bob
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

axel668 wrote:sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
@axel668, I notice you (and others) keep recommending a dist-upgrade, this is not a good idea on a distro like mint. For reasons see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9146 even though it is old.
bobd13045 wrote:I'll give it a try
Before you do that, please give us more information as below about your adapter. Installing the STA driver if you don't need it isn't going to help and just going to make it more difficult to resolve.

Code: Select all

inxi -SNx
lspci
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
pants

Post by pants »

Have you already tried enabling it under Addtional Drivers which is found under Software Sources
the solution is detailed http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=118960 and just went through it myself.

I take this is what used to be under the restricted drivers?

Return to “Networking”