Mint 14 Cinnamon no sound after install

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 14 Cinnamon no sound after install

Postby DrPhill on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:05 am

I hope that this is the right forum (it could belong in the newbie section as I may be missing something obvious).

Booting from the Mint 14 Cinnamon install DVD gave me an OS with sound (one of the things I specifically checked). After installing from the self same DVD I get no sound through the speakers (playing mp3 on local drive or from YouTube). I do get system sounds especially that annoying one as my session starts. I can get music through the headphone socket, though.

Have I done something wrong?

I have looked through the controls associated with sound and cannot find anything that improves the situation,

If I reboot to Mint13Mate sound works fine.

I am not sure where to look to start sorting this out.

Oh, and this is a Dell laptop.
A new(ish) convert to Linux - delighted with Mint.

My WebPage
DrPhill
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

[Solved?] Mint 14 Cinnamon no sound after install

Postby DrPhill on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:36 am

Now heres a thing...... seeing as I have a laptop with hardware that might be unusual I thought that I would do an experiment.

Mint 13 Mate - sound works
Mint 14 Cinnamon - no sound.

What about Mint 14 Mate? Sound. So is it something with Cinnamon? Well, here is the oddity - booting back into Mint 14 Cinnamon I get sound. What happened? (Short of me hallucinating the whole episode?). I never even Installed Mint 14 Mate - just ran from the DVD. Was the excursion into a different version relevant, or would sound have reappeared spontaneously after some number of boots?

Ah well......
A new(ish) convert to Linux - delighted with Mint.

My WebPage
DrPhill
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs