[SOLVED] Cinnamon at 50%-60% cpu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DC80

[SOLVED] Cinnamon at 50%-60% cpu

Post by DC80 »

Hi all,

I do not know if this is a bug or not but there may be a problem with cinnamon. I've installed Mint 14 on my laptop (Acer Aspire 3680) and it is very, very slow. At first I had some programs running like update manager, vlc, nemo, etc. So after closing those programs it was still slow.

Before using it I have some settings changed like another theme (mint glass) and change the login screen. In these settings there is an option to change the session on login. I choose the cinnamon session. This resulted in a cpu use of, like the title says, 50% to 60%. Also memory use is "high", it was 116 Mb for the cinnamon process. After noticing this I changed the session back to Xclient-script. Now the process is normal again, cinnamon is using about 44,1 Mb and between 3% to 6% of cpu.

Again, i do not know if this a bug or my laptop just can't handle mint 14.

Kind regards,

DC80
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: Cinnamon at 50%-60% cpu

Post by cwwgateway »

What graphics card do you have? It is possible that you were running Cinnamon 2D, which would use a lot of Proccesing power, although that wouldn't explain the Memory usage AFAIK. Also, if you open up Details, what does it say under Graphics? If it says anything about llvmpipe, then you're running Cinnamon 2D.
DC80

Post by DC80 »

Hi cwwgateway,

Whoops, I replied with the wrong specs. I assumed it was my desktop instead of my laptop. I will test it tomorrow. Sorry. I checked it anyway for comparison maybe on my desktop. And the results are that

It's using about 138 Mb of RAM Memory and it is using about 4% to 6% of CPU.

Kind regards,

DC80
denon.carbunkle

Post by denon.carbunkle »

I've had Cinnamon issues with a new install of Mint 14 causing random reboots, so I booted using the Gnome desktop and the problem went away. Yesterday I decided to try Cinnamon 2D and it was running 100% CPU. So, I'm back to Gnome desktop. Just wanted to throw in my two cents.
DC80

Post by DC80 »

Allright, i have some new "stats".

My laptop is slow again after setting the default session to cinnamon. The use of memory seems to be lower but still a 114 Mb. The CPU is asking more then last time. My values are about between 70% an 85% all the time. I only have started the "details" tab, systemmonitor (gnome-system-monitor) and Google chrome for writing this message.

@cwwgateway: this is what i get from details and I'm more then sure that I selected the cinnamon session and not cinnamon-2d.

Driver: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)
Enviorment: standard

Kind regards,

DC80
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

cinnamon strikes again.

people, wake up and smell the horse crap!

dc80
you have to use mint 13 xfce cause you dont have hardware acceleration. llvmpipe means that you have software acceleration. it uses CPU power instead of GPU.

@denon.carbunkle
look at the glxinfo and if you also have llvmpipe, use xfce as DE.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Perhaps this thread can help you.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=117294

DC80 wrote:
@cwwgateway: this is what i get from details and I'm more then sure that I selected the cinnamon session and not cinnamon-2d.

Kind regards,

DC80
DC80

Post by DC80 »

Adelante wrote:Perhaps this thread can help you.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=117294

DC80 wrote:

Kind regards,

DC80
Hi, the link did help me but didn't work. As I understand it, the drivers are loaded and working but for OpenGL it is using Gallium drivers. This is the output of inxi -G:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller 
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: vesa,intel (unloaded: fbdev) Resolution: 1280x800@59.9hz 
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0
Kind regards,

DC80
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

This is the same part that caused the problem for me:
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)
It was supposed to say, on my computer: GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge.

Clem's short-term fix in the thread corrected it, but the permanent solution should be on its way, so maybe you will have more luck when that happens.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Right this is the Intel issue of Mint 14, please see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 94#p652291 for a temporary work-around. A fix will come through the updates this week: mdm 1.0.8.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
DC80

Post by DC80 »

Ah, thank you! I had tried serveral things on my laptop but it didn't work. So, all I have to do is wait for the update. I think I just saw the update on my desktop this morning. So I'll bootup my laptop and see if the update is there.

I don't think it is needed but just to be sure, i will report here if it is succesfull.

Thanks!

DC80
DC80

Post by DC80 »

Thank you guys and girls! You are amazing!

Cinnamon is using almost nothing of the CPU (0% to 2%) and the amount of memory is about 40 Mb.

My laptop is still a little slow but not more then it use to be, it is an old one, so i'm happy :D

DC80

Solution: install mdm 1.0.8 update!
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon at 50%-60% cpu

Post by tonywhelan »

I also had this problem of Cinnamon on Mint 14 hogging CPU, but I am NOT using the onboard Intel video - instead am using an AMD/ATI Radeon 5700 PCIe graphics card to feed dual monitors.

EDIT - just realised I had logged in to a Cinnamon 2D session, which (evidently) causes the CPU to handle graphics. Switched back to standard Cinnamon login session and it seems fine now.
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

they should get rid of that option named "cinnamon 2D" as soon as possible.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

richardsdma wrote:they should get rid of that option named "cinnamon 2D" as soon as possible.
I disagree - it has an important purpose. It isn't meant to be used (that could be explained much more clearly) - it's meant for debugging purposes. It does, however, work fairly well on some machines (it depends on your CPU). For Mint 15, they're discussing rethinking Cinnamon 2D and possibly using OpenBox as the window manager (which would cut down on CPU usage a lot). They are also working on a way to make sure people know why they're using Cinnamon 2D and what it actually is. For more info, look here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap.

Return to “Software & Applications”