Recommended Network Printers or Multi-Function dev - Solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McLovin

Re: Recommended Network Printers or Multi-Function device

Post by McLovin »

Print servers are never good, they don't work well in windows, so you can imagine trying to get it work in Linux.
HP printer generally have good support in Linux. I use a Brother MFC-440CN, and though it takes some configuring, there is alot of documentation on the subject.
Check out his site, it should help get going in the right direction http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Hi jeremiah2329,
I have just bought a new HP Photosmart C5280 which works fine - attached to Mint box and can print from other Linux boxes and windows XP boxes on the network.
This is a MFP and retails at about €90 in France - don't know where you are !
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I just bought an HP Photosmart C7280 wireless networked printer/scanner/copier/fax. I had to install it first on my son's Windows computer, but my wife's Mac picked it up right away. Linux doesn't support it (yet) but a simple Google search led me to an HP site that had the Linux install app. Now all three OS's use it flawlessly. About $300, half that if you don't need the fax, but I forget the model number for without the fax.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

HP, Brother and Samsung provide Linux drivers.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

locutus wrote:I just bought an HP Photosmart C7280 wireless networked printer/scanner/copier/fax. I had to install it first on my son's Windows computer, but my wife's Mac picked it up right away. Linux doesn't support it (yet) but a simple Google search led me to an HP site that had the Linux install app. .
Do you still have the link? Any issues? I am most especially interested in network connection abilities. I never direct connect printers. Printer servers are there for a reason either internal or external.

I've got one of these and I quick and dirty set it up as a generic PCL based printer and it printed out a test page great in full color, TCP printer. I did this test under OpenSuse 10.3 just last week. I've not had a chance to do it under Mint KDE CE, yet. To be honest I was tickled that it printed out in color as well as it did with just one of the generic PCL 5 drivers.

To others regarding printer servers, that's all I ever use. I've used them even on junky winslease printers like a Lexmark LX12 and other MFP devices.

I've got an ancient PS105 Netgear server that my ancient OptraE+ is on, no issues virOS or Mint.

I've just got a nice new Sharp MX4501N to play with and unfortunately the native drivers in CUPS are Postscript based and not PCL :( :evil: Any one installed Easy PrintPro on Mint KDE CE to use the CUPS PS drivers?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I bought it at Future Shop (Canada) but it's available at Best Buy (US), link here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 4768129582
Link for showing compatibility. Do a page-search for "C7280" in Firefox (<Ctrl>+F):
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_ ... t_aio.html
And the link for the driver:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/index.html

No issues. As I said it wanted to be set up with Windows, and that's where you enter either the WEP or WPA key. After that the Mac and my Mint Linix picked it up right away without entering the keys again.

This is a PhotoSmart printer (and fax) meaning it come with six ink cartridges for better color management. Also it means that if you run out of, say, yellow, you just buy the yellow cartridge, not all of them. And sold singly, they're much cheaper.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

locutus wrote: And the link for the driver:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/index.html
Is this different from the HPLIP on the LM KDE CE DVD? ? :?:

I may try it if I have issues with just a straight TCP printer and generic PCL drivers.
locutus wrote: No issues. As I said it wanted to be set up with Windows,
This was the biggest PITA I've ever had getting a printer setup in winslease. Nothing but headaches from the drivers, and one PC can not connect to it via the network as the driver won't find it but every other PC can find it on the network. The software leaves a lot to be desired even on the winslease side.
locutus wrote: This is a PhotoSmart printer (and fax) meaning it come with six ink cartridges for better color management. Also it means that if you run out of, say, yellow, you just buy the yellow cartridge, not all of them. And sold singly, they're much cheaper.
The HP prints out pretty good, and like I said I was impressed that that even using generic PCL drivers I got color out it first shot. Photos I've seen from it I was hard pressed to tell they didn't come from a true photo lab printer.

Unfortunately I've got another Kodak EasyShare 5500 which looks like its going to be a paper weight unless I put together a PC104 box to act as an overgrown print server. Too bad as its a great little printer.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

rec9140 wrote: Is this different from the HPLIP on the LM KDE CE DVD? ? :?:
I think it is different, I can't remember exactly but I think I tried to set it up just from System Settings and it wasn't listed so I think that's why I downloaded the new driver.

But I could be wrong. I also run Mepis and maybe it was the one that was out of date, and when I booted into Mint I just ran the new driver installation without even checking. At any rate, the new one works fine.
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

locutus wrote:
rec9140 wrote: Is this different from the HPLIP on the LM KDE CE DVD? ? :?:
I think it is different, I can't remember exactly but I think I tried to set it up just from System Settings and it wasn't listed so I think that's why I downloaded the new driver.

But I could be wrong. I also run Mepis and maybe it was the one that was out of date, and when I booted into Mint I just ran the new driver installation without even checking. At any rate, the new one works fine.
LM KDE HPLIP is out of date for the C7280, need 2.7.9 or > and LM KDE is 2.7.7. Wont recognize and wont use any of the similar drivers for photosmart units in the HPLIP.

Doing a standard TCP printer and using the C7100 CUPS driver worked. I found the test page from OpenSuSE and for it I used the PS C7350 driver, and Yast's graphical test page printed out great. Hopefully the Elyssa KDE will include the update HPLIP and I can try out other functions of this unit.

As for the Kodak there is a slight glimmer of hope, there is mactrash software so there may be hope in getting something for the general linux user.

Return to “Beginner Questions”