wired and wireless internet stopped working all of a sudden

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxbee
Level 1
Level 1

wired and wireless internet stopped working all of a sudden

Post by linuxbee »

Hi all.
I am experiencing a really weird connection problem that I haven't seen before.
Basically both wired and wireless internet has stopped working.
To be specific, it looks like my netbook is connecting to the router both with wire and wireless, however there is no internet connection.
This problem has been persisting yesterday, and it doesn't make sense because nothing has changed in my computer recently. No updates, or anything like that.
I have searched through linux forum but couln't find anything useful so far.
Any ideas on this problem will be very much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxbee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: wired and wireless internet stopped working all of a sud

Post by linuxbee »

My problem is partially resolved as follows.
At some point, I checked out the following file /etc/resolve.conf which looked like

Code: Select all

domain Belkin
search Belkin
nameserver 192.168.2.1
which is the stuff associated with the wireless router, and the above information wasn't correct for the wired connection.
So, following the content in this page: http://swift.siphos.be/linux_sea/networkmanagement.html, I replaced

search Belkin 

with

search lan 
And also added the correct DNS server ip addresses like

nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx 
After then my wired network is working.
My conclusion is that even though my eth connection had the all correct information regarding internet connection,
it somehow didn't propogate all the way to /etc/resolv.conf file even though I restarted network services many times.
oddball

Post by oddball »

This happens to me too. Had that problem with mint 13 and now with 14. Although it seems connected it stops working unless I reconnect.
I know this will sound crazy but i think there is a connection with downloading torrents. When torrent program is off everything is fine but when I'm downloading sth it stops all the time
...BUT !!!
...this happens only when I'm dowloading slow torrents! when I'm dowloading at about full speed it's ok! :shock: ?
I'm sorry I can't help I'm very new with Linux.
oddball

<SOLVED>wired and wireless internet stopped working all of a

Post by oddball »

oddball wrote:This happens to me too. Had that problem with mint 13 and now with 14. Although it seems connected it stops working unless I reconnect.
I know this will sound crazy but i think there is a connection with downloading torrents. When torrent program is off everything is fine but when I'm downloading sth it stops all the time
...BUT !!!
...this happens only when I'm dowloading slow torrents! when I'm dowloading at about full speed it's ok! :shock: ?
I'm sorry I can't help I'm very new with Linux.
i found out a sollution here "http://gamingtrend.com/forums/hardware- ... elated%29/".
Seems that UDP connections were causing the wifi card to have issues so I installed " udptunnel " (a program which can tunnel udp packets bi-directionally over a tcp connection) restarted and now it all looks well. Can't tell yet if and how much it affects my speed.
oddball

Post by oddball »

Well... It still stops from time to time but at least it's better now... It started happening again after some days...
If anyone has a better sollution plz tell.
billmc

Post by billmc »

billmc wrote:Take a look at the suggestions I've made in these 2 other posts. Maybe one or the other could help you.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=111888
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=119544
sounds to me like multple default routes.

Return to “Networking”