Brasero hasn't worked, for years

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Re: Brasero hasn't worked, for years

Post by nomko »

ddalley wrote:So, again, why is Brasero still included in LM, if everyone still has problems with it?
As said in the post of eanfrid:
Brasero is included in every Gnome-based distro
. So, everytime a new version of a Gnome-based Linux distro is released, Brasero is added as standard burning application. But also as said in the post of dagon, it is not Brasero to blaim fully for being buggy since Brasero is depending on Wodim which is also buggy. Put them both together and you get what you have, a program which is really buggy and unreliable. You can do 2 things: either keep on using Brasero and accept all the bugs or remove Brasero and start using a burning tool such as Xfburn or K3B. The amount of complains about Brasero i encounter on many other (linux) forums are piling up. Most users who have a Gnome based distro they all ditch Braseo in favour for Xfburn or K3B. From the first time i start using Linux up till now, Brasero is the first application which i remove and replace with K3B since i got familiar with this unstable/buggy burning application.

Why they keep on adding it? That's the choice of the delevopers of Gnome. Why they keep on adding it? I don't know, ask them. I think there are more users with the same question. But instead of breaking your brains over this matter, it's also that easy to remove/replace it with another burning application.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Was in linux 2007-08 but left for a few years as needed higher end image editing software choices than just gimp.

And when I left then it's lke Deja Vu all over again coming back this last month to linux. Brasero has never been capable or stable enough to trust. So why do distro's continue to insist on supplying it? I think that is more annoying then the program itself is buggy.

xfburn? wasn't that discontinued like 2009? And still being recommended?

And am a bit peeved as years later and the only reliable choice is to bloat my gnome system more with kde libraries and dependencies for K3b. I remember back in 2007 that was the only viable stable choice.

And half a decade later and still the only viable solution? Does not bide well for selection of app's that the mainstream users require in there daily needs and use. I am happy to see for my photography needs darktable & Rawtherapee choices which seem powerful and useful for the photographer. Just wished some progress would have been made on the CD/DVD burning front. Which seems to have stalled and become stagnant.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Brasero has never been capable or stable enough to trust. So why do distro's continue to insist on supplying it? I think that is more annoying then the program itself is buggy.
First of all, distro's don't insist on supplying it. It's part of the Gnome shell, not a part of any distro. Every distro which is Gnome-based get's Brasero included as standard burning tool.
Secondly, i'm working with Linux since 2007 and never had any good feeling about Brasero. But as said here before, the cause of being unstable and buggy isn't fully Brasero to blaim for, another reason of Brasero being buggy is Wodim.
xfburn? wasn't that discontinued like 2009? And still being recommended?
Maybe you're right about this one. But still, install Xubuntu 12.04 and you still get XFburn since this is the standard burning tool for Xfce. And according Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfburn) the latest version is 0.4.3 released on 18-10-2012... So, it must be still maintained/developed/updated???
And am a bit peeved as years later and the only reliable choice is to bloat my gnome system more with kde libraries and dependencies for K3b. I remember back in 2007 that was the only viable stable choice.
True! I was also advised to use K3B which is an excellent burning application! And yes, installing K3B means installing extra requried KDE packages. These packages will be installed beside Gnome and run beside Gnome.

And half a decade later and still the only viable solution? Does not bide well for selection of app's that the mainstream users require in there daily needs and use.
Check here: http://www.linuxappfinder.com/multimedia/cddvdwriters
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Just because Brasero is a default Gnome DE app doesn't mean Gnome distros can't choose not to include it - e.g. Mint's Gnome editions include Banshee instead of Rhythmbox and Pidgin instead of Empathy.
nomko

Post by nomko »

bimsebasse wrote:Just because Brasero is a default Gnome DE app doesn't mean Gnome distros can't choose not to include it - e.g. Mint's Gnome editions include Banshee instead of Rhythmbox and Pidgin instead of Empathy.
But instead of choosing another burning application, Mint comes with Brasero...
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

Maybe I'm the only one with luck but have used brasero manytimes to burn audio cd's and dvd iso images and never had a problem with it , so makes me wonder!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

nomko wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:Just because Brasero is a default Gnome DE app doesn't mean Gnome distros can't choose not to include it - e.g. Mint's Gnome editions include Banshee instead of Rhythmbox and Pidgin instead of Empathy.
But instead of choosing another burning application, Mint comes with Brasero...
Yes, everyone knows that, the discussion is whether it's a good idea or not.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

It sure sounds as if a lot of people would be grateful if somebody finally fixed whatever problems people have with it and remove this bleshim on Linux. I used to like it, when it used to actually work, but that was years ago. Sure we can use other programs, but geesh, enough is enough.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

The truth is:

Almost all linux burning programs are buggy mess.

wodim is crap, cdrskin (used by xfburn) is crap (doesn't allow speed setting on both my pioneer drives). cdrkit is crap.
oh we also have dvd+rw-tools which is also crap, because it only supports DVD.
And since all GUI programs depend on this crap, they are also crap.

It's just amazing how many programs we have, none of which is working correctly. :D

The best thing to do is to install ImgBurn under wine. Really. Trust me. It just works, and unlike brasero - works great. With CD, double layer DVD and BluRay too.
And guess what - it also supports burning DVD Video and BD Video and supports UDF filesystem. No linux program supports UDF 2.5 (and thus BD Video).
One programmer (lightning uk) did better job than all these open source projects did together...

The only drawback is that ImgBurn doesn't work under debian (and LMDE) due to debian+wine scsi bug (seems like debian is worst platform for burning currently :mrgreen: ).
But if you have Maya od Nadia - go ahead, forget brasero.

For use with lmde, I've downloaded and compiled cdrecord from here:

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

(cdrkit is a buggy and just a few years outdated debian fork of this program)

You can replace cdrskin and cdrkit with it (they are supposed to be replacements lol). And it works.
It is way better than it's replacements, but it is not in debian repo, because they don't like it (open source license, but CDDL not GPL).
But they also like all non-free drivers that are in non-free repo - and they have no problems with it?
That's just plain stupid. :lol:
nomko

Post by nomko »

sobrus wrote:..........
I don't know what your point is, but as i see it, you need Windows...

Ofcourse every program will work crappy when the main component of that program is crappy and buggy. But that doesn't mean that the program itself is crappy, it just work crappy due to that buggy component. I.e.: Brasero uses wodim which is a buggy package itself. Due to that fact and the fact that Brasero is using wodim, Brasero works crappy and shitty. But that doesn't mean that Brasero itself is a lousy tool. It's an easy to use tool for the novice user. And wether BRasero works fine or not, that has nothing to do with the GUI, that has to do with the referencing programs like wodim. But when users encounter a lot of problems with Brasero, the best advise is to stop using Brasero and try out another burning application.

And this sentence of yours:
we also have dvd+rw-tools which is also crap, because it only supports DVD
what are you trying to say??? Ofcourse dvd+rw-tools only supports DVD!!! That's way it is called dvd+rw-tools!!! Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd%2Brw-tools and read...

This site: http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html was the only best input in your whole post. Really, it is... But to bad to see that the latest version 3.0 has been released on 02 june 2010... (ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/)
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

nomko wrote: I don't know what your point is, but as i see it, you need Windows...
You need wine, not windows. Of course there are many ppl who don't like wine, just because ;). They can always use brasero :twisted:
But I bet there are many who want just their discs burned - and don't mind installing wine for it (especially since no linux program supports for example udf 2.5)
what are you trying to say??? Ofcourse dvd+rw-tools only supports DVD!!! That's way it is called dvd+rw-tools!!!
Im trying to say that it won't save the day. Because sometimes you want to burn CD Audio or bluray video from your new shiny AVCHD camera.
And you cannot do it with dvd+rw tools, so it's quite useless as a burning solution.
was the only best input in your whole post. Really, it is...
I think ImgBurn is better. I've been using it since probably 2005, under windows and linux. One of most reliable and recommended programs on market (even though it's freeware).
And linux (via wine) is supported by its author. But if you cannot or don't want to use it - cdrecord is probably your best bet.

cdrecord is still in developement. There's version 3.01 already, dated 15 August 2012:
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-beta.tar.gz

And brasero. It didn't work on opensuse 11.4 at all (crash). Now, under LMDE, it even manages to burn CD Audio (yay!). Maybe even DVD? But still a no-go for blu-ray disc, unfortunately.
It's hard to recommend it to anyone, unless somehow it can be paired with cdrecord again.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/142674/b ... cdrkit-plu
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

I've used ImgBurn, just not through Wine. I still haven't wrapped my head around that avenue yet.

All I (and others) want is a reliable Linux burning program in the typical distro. I haven't had trouble with XFburn, so far, but that still involves acquiring it, sometimes. I have had enough trouble with Brasero to really appreciate having it fixed, some day. It would be nice to get some feedback about this from the LM distro makers here.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Glad to hear imgburn works under wine, really liked it back in my windows days. I must be very lucky because I regularly use Brasero to burn ISO images and it works great for me, don't use it for anything else though. K3b is king for burning CDs IMO :-)
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

sobrus wrote:The truth is:

Almost all linux burning programs are buggy mess.

wodim is crap, cdrskin (used by xfburn) is crap (doesn't allow speed setting on both my pioneer drives). cdrkit is crap.
oh we also have dvd+rw-tools which is also crap, because it only supports DVD.
And since all GUI programs depend on this crap, they are also crap.

It's just amazing how many programs we have, none of which is working correctly. :D

The best thing to do is to install ImgBurn under wine. Really. Trust me. It just works, and unlike brasero - works great. With CD, double layer DVD and BluRay too.
And guess what - it also supports burning DVD Video and BD Video and supports UDF filesystem. No linux program supports UDF 2.5 (and thus BD Video).
One programmer (lightning uk) did better job than all these open source projects did together...

The only drawback is that ImgBurn doesn't work under debian (and LMDE) due to debian+wine scsi bug (seems like debian is worst platform for burning currently :mrgreen: ).
But if you have Maya od Nadia - go ahead, forget brasero.

For use with lmde, I've downloaded and compiled cdrecord from here:

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

(cdrkit is a buggy and just a few years outdated debian fork of this program)

You can replace cdrskin and cdrkit with it (they are supposed to be replacements lol). And it works.
It is way better than it's replacements, but it is not in debian repo, because they don't like it (open source license, but CDDL not GPL).
But they also like all non-free drivers that are in non-free repo - and they have no problems with it?
That's just plain stupid. :lol:
xfburn is still under development afaik (http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfburn/log/), and no longer seems to use cdrskin (on my ubuntu 12.04 system it doesn't depend on cdrskin at all, only libburn)
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

Maybe. I will try to test xfburn again in some time.
Both cdrskinn and xfburn are based on libburn(nia) project, so the bug can be present on both.
They burn correctly, albeit always at max speed. And I don't know how to fix it.
proliant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by proliant »

It works, if you launch brasero directly from terminal without the media (new DVD) inserted in the first place.
$ brasero Fedora-18-x86_64-netinst.iso
Once brasero is launched, insert the media and it will be detected correctly.
It is annoying as I forgot sometimes too.
nomko

Post by nomko »

proliant wrote:It works, if you launch brasero directly from terminal without the media (new DVD) inserted in the first place.
$ brasero Fedora-18-x86_64-netinst.iso
Once brasero is launched, insert the media and it will be detected correctly.
It is annoying as I forgot sometimes too.
It is not annoying, it is not the way as it should work.
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by I do Mint »

And again in LM17 removed Brasero which failed again and installed K3b.
It is still the best option out there and always does the trick correctly.
Oh yes, I do Mint :)
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I do Mint wrote:And again in LM17 removed Brasero which failed again and installed K3b.
It is still the best option out there and always does the trick correctly.

Have used Brasero without any problems since it first appeared in LinuxMint.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by I do Mint »

tenfoot wrote:Have used Brasero without any problems since it first appeared in LinuxMint.
Then you are one of the "lucky ones" :wink:
Oh yes, I do Mint :)

Return to “Software & Applications”