Mouse pointer laggy/not working after suspend/hibernate

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thebeardedchild

Mouse pointer laggy/not working after suspend/hibernate

Post by thebeardedchild »

First off, I have researched this but anything I find that's related isn't exactly the same problem nor have I found many solutions to the other issues I've seen...
I'm using an HP Mini 311 netbook running Linux Mint 14 with MATE desktop. SOMETIMES (not everytime, which I think is weird and makes the issue that much more difficult to solve) when I suspend the computer or put it into hibernation, upon waking back up the mouse is reeaaaallly laggy or won't move at all. Everything else runs perfectly and I can use the keyboard to shut down/restart because that's the only thing that brings the mouse back.
I can suspend and/or hibernate a bunch of times right now but the issue doesn't seem to reproduce. But I've noticed if I close the lid (which I believe suspends) and leave it for a while, when I come back and wake is typically when the mouse is frozen. Basically, when the computer is in suspend or hibernation for an extended period of time, the mouse freezes.
The weird thing is that it is typically just really laggy. Not in a way that makes it usable, but I can see the pointer jumping around a little bit and if I move my finger across the touchpad relentlessly for a few minutes I can eventually get it to where I want it.

Any thoughts? Do I need to install a new driver? It's an AlpsP/S2 ALPS Glidepoint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thebeardedchild

Re: Mouse pointer laggy/not working after suspend/hibernate

Post by thebeardedchild »

A little update with a couple things:
1. I noticed that in the instances that the mouse is "frozen", I can actually move it better the more fingers I use to move it, i.e. if I use two or three fingers on the touchpad to move the cursor, it actually moves somewhat more reliably. Of course this isn't a decent fix, but now I'm thinking there's a problem with some sort of multitouch setting perhaps?

2. I saw somewhere that users with a similar problem would type "sudo modprobe -r psmouse" and then "sudo modprobe psmouse" into the terminal to sort of reload the kernel module. That doesn't do anything for me. So far the only way of restoring any sort of normal function is by shutting down and powering back on.

Return to “Hardware Support”