Toshiba SATTELITE L750D - Mint 14 Fail

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoening

Toshiba SATTELITE L750D - Mint 14 Crashes / Graphical Errors

Post by Schoening »

So I just installed Linux Mint 14.
I have crashed 3 times so far.. First Startup, Crash! I wanted to install Chrome, the pc froze and keept blacking out in what looked like an attempt to solve the issue, nothing to do but Force Shut Down by holding down the power button.

Second Crash: I was changing the Background Image and then the Theme. I was wondering about some minor graphical bugs in the interface, but I figured that Linux might not be perfectly happy with my hardware.

Third "Crash" I checked my Windows 7 partition, and was relived that it is still intact even though it loaded a bit slower today. I restarted the Laptop and chose Linux. I didn't get to the Log in screen, Linux is just Frozen on a Black Screen. Once more.. Force Shut Down..

Fourth Attempt:

Whew! I managed to get some screenshot onto Imageshack!

Notice the sides:

Check the Computer Sign and the bottom of Settings:

Is this my Hardware? Some Magic to fix this up? Id love to use Mint, I don't like the Ubuntu interface! (I have a Ubuntu Partition too, it works fine)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schoening

Re: Toshiba SATTELITE L750D - Mint 14 Crashes / Graphical Er

Post by Schoening »

Another ScreenShot:

Schoening

Toshiba SATTELITE L750D - Mint 14 Fail

Post by Schoening »

So the main reason for me to get Mint besides curiosity was to use it to work with my JavaScript and WebGL programming.

I am a bit frustrated because nothing works optimal.. I have had 5-10 crashed today. (Black screen on start-up or Freezes during various simple tasks)
Graphical bugs in form of pixels and half frozen textures from previous Folders. Sometimes I don't have graphic bugs, but my mouse keeps blinking rapidly. And the Driver I am trying to download does not open because it keeps telling me that it probably is binary.
Worst of all is of course that I cannot run WebGL in Chrome because of the drivers.. And I just tried to run a WebGL game - via FireFox - that crashed my system and made the screen look like a Hippie T-Shirt meeting a Blender.

The 3D graphics also look worse in FF then they do on my Windows Partition.

I obviously don't want to give up on it already. But it is annoying that almost everything I need does not work..
At least I found a nice Editor for my JavaScript. (Blue Fish Editor)

When I am trying to run the Driver that was reccomended I am getting this error:

Could not open the file /home/dota/Downloads/amd…2.6-legacy-x86.x86_64.run.
gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

So I am getting to a point where I simply have no clue what to do next, help is appreciated.
Schoening

Re: Toshiba SATTELITE L750D - Mint 14 Fail

Post by Schoening »

Horray ! Progress!

I changed the Driver to the ATI one that is not Open Source. At least FireFox seems to be working now, and I do not see any graphic bugs so far.

Would be great if I get Chrome to work too !
Schoening

Post by Schoening »

Sadly the WebGL is still buggy and at least 3-4 times slower then on Windows 7 ...
SergeiK

Post by SergeiK »

I have the same problem with my HP Presario F500 and Linux Mint 14 with cinnamon. Besides that my system randomly freezes, mouse moves but no keyboard action.
Have you found any solution on it?
SergeiK

Post by SergeiK »

This morning I installed nvidia-current-updates.
So far so good :)
I will post if the issue is not solved
Schoening

Post by Schoening »

Well you have Nvidia, I have Radeon.

Still not working great :/ I want linux !

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”