Do I need a graphics card with my current build?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
illdubb

Do I need a graphics card with my current build?

Post by illdubb »

Just got the parts for a new build and want advice/opinions about a graphics card. So I have a budget PC (first build ever), and want to know if I should purchase a graphics card, or save up for an i3/i5?
Specs:
CPU: Intel Celeron G540 Dual Core with Intel HD Integrated.
Mobo: ASRock H77M
RAM: 8GB GSkill 1600
HDD: 320GB SATA II (Will go SSD after I get settled into mint)

So my question; Is the Intel HD integrated "good enough" for compiz and XBMC? Or do I need to get a Graphics card soon? I have only been using Linux for a few weeks now. Started with Ubuntu, didn't like how bloated it was. Friend recommended Mint, and I'm pretty satisfied so far. Mobo has HDMI already, but I chose it for the ability to upgrade to i3/i5 when I save up enough cash. Also has PCI Express 3.0, so a graphics card IS in my future, but later than sooner (if you think I can wait). My current PC running Mint 13 (mate) is using a AMD Sempron 64, 1GB RAM, as well as a Nvidia 6 series AGP. Runs fairly smooth, but want better streaming as well as a Dual Core. So any opinions/comments will be taken into account towards upgrading/waiting.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oyabunbaba

Re: Graphics Card or not?

Post by Oyabunbaba »

I have celeron B800 it contain Intel HD2000 and it's good enough for simple gaming so i think it's enough for what you need, but if you want little bit more than this, go for nvidia 120gt 220gt 420gt 520gt or higher but those models are already powerful for Linux, don't get radeon as the drivers are not good as Nvidia.
Ps. change the topic title as the "Graphics card or not" it's little bit confusing :wink:
illdubb

Re: Graphics Card or not?

Post by illdubb »

I'm not looking to game, maybe an emulator or something of that sort. But mostly this build will be for XBMC and compiz effects. As for the title, sorry for any confusion. So what you're saying is that the intel hd graphics should be enough to handle these two operations? I have yet to receive all these components to build it yet (cyber monday deals).
Oyabunbaba

Re: Do I need a graphics card with my current build?

Post by Oyabunbaba »

Yes, should be enough, what i mean is that if can handle games then can handle also 3D cinnamon, HD videos, and of course XMBC. Only using Intel i found problem with accelerating WEB GL but maybe that's fault of drivers.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

I have a netbook, and even there the integrated graphics are good enough to run Cinnamon and to watch HD videos (both locally with VLC and online with Google Chrome). You should be fine.
illdubb

Post by illdubb »

Ok, thanks for the feedback! I am still new to Linux/Mint, but have a general idea what I want to do with it (XBMC and Compiz). I picked my build based on a budget, and also the ability to upgrade later. Have not really heard anything about the Celeron Sandy Bridge CPUs and Linux, just wondering if the Intel HD Integrated was supported with the linux kernel. I am running an Nvidia AGP card on an older PC, and it was supported through Nvidia drivers. Now seeing Intel has integrated, I didn't know if I should purchase an Nvidia card or not. Sorry for the confusion, if any. I guess I should have asked this question before I made my purchase, but some of the Cyber Monday deals were too good to pass on.
Oyabunbaba

Post by Oyabunbaba »

Celeron Sandy Bridge it is fully supported in newest kernels, mean all features as far as i know

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”