Cant log in

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamdonot

Cant log in

Post by jamdonot »

Hello all, please excuse my ignorance, I an a complete newbie. I have installed Linux Mint 64 bit, and everything seemed to be fine, however when I get to the log in screen I enter my username and password (they are the same and I am sure I am enetering it correctly), the scrren goes blank, then I get the login screen again. I have been searching for hours to no avail, please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jamdonot

Re: Cant log in

Post by jamdonot »

Anyone, please, in dire need of help
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

Do you have a capital letter in your username? If so that does not work. You have to enter it in lower letter. Passwords can include capital letters though.
jamdonot

Post by jamdonot »

Hello, I am logging in correctly, I have done the alt ctrl f2 thing and have logged on in the terminal like window. I have also been able to add a new user, same thing again, logs in, black screen, then back out to the log in screen. I have also changed it to the gdm log in, same thing. Really stuck, was so looking forward to giving linux a go.
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

What version of Mint do you use? What desktop environment?
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I do not have the perfect answer. Just trying to figure out the cause.

it is something to do with keyboard layout. there is an option to select keyboard layout too. One time, when I press shift 2 I should get @ but I did n't

Have you installed another language pack and does your username contain any special non-english character which only works in a particular layout?
jamdonot

Post by jamdonot »

I have mint cinnamon, the x64 version. Using uk english. I can log in using the command prompt type window, just cant get into the gui
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

Try to login to the 2D version of cinnamon. You can change that by clicking on session in MDM, Sounds like a graphic card issue to me.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

cecar wrote:Try to login to the 2D version of cinnamon. You can change that by clicking on session in MDM, Sounds like a graphic card issue to me.
Cinnamon works well with latest computers, as it is depending upon gnome3, which in turn is developed for new technology precisely touch screen

So if you have old pc, then cinnamon may not work properly. On the other hand as cesar said it can be a graphic card issue.

Did you try to install any other distro or other flavour of mint like MATE or Mint 13 XFCE? Some say 32 bit works better than 64 bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”