[Mint 14 MATE] Wacom Intuos5 in Linux Mint

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Matej

[Mint 14 MATE] Wacom Intuos5 in Linux Mint

Post by Matej »

Hi everybody!

I recently migrated to Mint 14 with MATE desktop (love it, great job!) and bought myself a Wacom Intuos5 tablet (standard non-touch variant).

The tablet was recognized and worked out of the box, but I didn't find any configuration tools for it. So I proceeded to compile and install xf86-input-wacom-0.18 package. Now I can configure some of the tablet settings through the xsetwacom utility, but I still have some issues:

1.) I can't find a way to set the cursor speed in relative mode. This mode is completely unusable for me, because the cursor is moving too fast. I've tried to set several parameters (found through searching the net), like: SpeedLevel, Speed, RSpeed... but none of them are recognized in this version of xsetwacom.

2.) I miss a GUI utility for MATE. The gnome-control-center has a GUI utility that recognizes my tablet but if I change the settings there, they are not applied. mate-control-center has no such GUI for Wacom tablets, so this is something that should be patched in the future versions.

3.) Since there is no GUI utility that would map tablet layout to script identifiers, I have a hard time understanding which buttons on the tablet correspond to the button identifiers for the xsetwacom utility. There are 9 buttons on the tablet, but which is which? Is the center button named "1", or is the top one "1". Also if I try to set anything beyond button "3", it gives me an error:

Code: Select all

Unsupported offset into 'Wacom Button Actions' property.
Really confusing...

The drivers integrated into the kernel make a nice difference, where you just plug in your device and it works. But the lack of a user friendly way to set up your device, puts the Linux experience back into the "waste hours googling around for solutions" corner. :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Favux

Re: [Mint 14 MATE] Wacom Intuos5 in Linux Mint

Post by Favux »

Hi Matej,

1) Do you have a cursor, wacom tablet mouse or puck for the tablet? Or are you talking about the stylus pointer? You might want to try some xinput commands. Examples for touch are in "VI. Touch & Gesture Tips for the BambooPT" of the BambooPT HOW TO: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=110408

2) Well at least Gnome and KDE now have configuration gui's!

3) There's been some changes recently in xf86-input-wacom. I'd be interested in seeing if that has altered setup any. Olivier Fourdan is one of the Gnome dev.s working on the Wacom applet. He recently posted a png that may be going in: http://people.redhat.com/ofourdan/libwa ... viewer.png

More information on xsetwacom setup is available on the mediawiki: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/l ... figuration
Matej

Post by Matej »

Hi Favux & thanks a bunch for your help :!:

I meant the Stylus pointer. In relative mode it was moving super fast, but now I was able to slow it down to a manageable speed with those settings. I didn't know about xinput and that I can mix those settings with xsetwacom settings. That part of my script now looks like:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen stylus" Mode "Relative"
xinput set-prop "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen stylus" --type=float "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 2.000000
xinput set-prop "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen stylus" --type=float "Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration" 1.750000
xinput set-prop "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen stylus" --type=float "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 10.000000
For the pad, I tried to use letters as identifiers but they are not recognized. Then I realized that I can easily get which button is which by mapping them like so:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen pad" Button 1 "key 1"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen pad" Button 2 "key 2"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen pad" Button 3 "key 3"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen pad" Button 4 "key 4"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen pad" Button 5 "key 5"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen pad" Button 6 "key 6"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen pad" Button 7 "key 7"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen pad" Button 8 "key 8"
xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos5 M Pen pad" Button 9 "key 9"
The result looks like this. It seems the bottom column is not recognized by the drivers:

Matej

Post by Matej »

Ah, I got it. The remaining buttons have identifiers > 9 in my case:

A bit confusing :)

Maybe it has something to do that my Intuos5 is the version without touch? That the "missing" identifiers from 4 - 7 are reserved for some touch abilities?
Favux

Post by Favux »

Nice work! :)

Script looks good.

No, 4-7 are reserved for vertical and horizontal scroll by X. While that is mentioned on the mediawiki page and in the BambooPT HOW TO I should have pointed that out to you. Sorry.

Good to know the recent changes to xf86-input-wacom still haven't fixed that silly offset. As you can tell libwacom uses letters for button designation and they don't indicate the offset.

Thanks for providing the image with the Intuos5 button layout correctly numbered. That should also work for the Intuos4, which is identical I believe.
BCL

Re: [Mint 14 MATE] Wacom Intuos5 in Linux Mint [UPDATED]

Post by BCL »

Running Linux Mint 13 MATE, and I too have recently purchased a Wacom Intuos5. And after reading a bunch of different sites, I've gotten most of it working--but without any kind of configuration app except xsetwacom. This page and forum has been a great help so far. But there are still a lot of unanswered questions.

I would like to be able to set the buttons and change the mode of the touch ring, but I have no idea what meaning is put to the cryptic settings it has.

$ xsetwacom get "Wacom Intuos5 touch S Pen stylus" Button 1
$ xsetwacom get "Wacom Intuos5 touch S Pen stylus" Button 2
$ xsetwacom get "Wacom Intuos5 touch S Pen stylus" Button 3
<etc.>
What does that mean, as in, what action is taken when I press a button that is set to "1" for instance? How do I determine it and change it to what I want?

Also, can I dampen the sensitivity of the pen so it's not so jittery as I try to click on a fine point?

Return to “Hardware Support”