Problems with enabling 3d desktop/Compiz

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Problems with enabling 3d desktop/Compiz

Post by joutlan »

I have the restricted Nvidia driver installed. When I enable 3D desktop effects, my window buttons disappear from any theme I use, and the desktop switcher gets mucked up by showing too many desktops...like 16 instead of 4. If I change compiz to show 1 desktop, it 'shows' 4 in the panel, but only uses one....anyone on these two problems? I tweaked settings in system and compiz back and forth to no avail (thinking there was some kind of conflict), so for now I've disabled compiz and emerald. Help appreciated as this is one of the major graphical benefits of using linux :D Setting up compiz in Gnome Darnya was no problem.

thanks !!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Problems with enabling 3d desktop/Compiz

Post by Boo »

compiz does not seem to work as nice in kde as gnome.
it works fine for me with default setup but i dont change or add themes.
some parts of kde work differently with compiz from when you add them to after you reboot or login again (restart x).
the applet desktop preview and pager is one of these. it shows 4 desktops when added but only 1 after relogin (your problem).
kde apps are most likely better integrated into kwin than compiz.
I have found some buttons dont always appear in the pannel. eg knetwork manager or konversation or ktorrent.
sometimes they dont even start (ktorrent).

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Problems with enabling 3d desktop/Compiz

Post by joutlan »

Boo wrote:compiz does not seem to work as nice in kde as gnome.
it works fine for me with default setup but i dont change or add themes.
some parts of kde work differently with compiz from when you add them to after you reboot or login again (restart x).
the applet desktop preview and pager is one of these. it shows 4 desktops when added but only 1 after relogin (your problem).
kde apps are most likely better integrated into kwin than compiz.
I have found some buttons dont always appear in the pannel. eg knetwork manager or konversation or ktorrent.
sometimes they dont even start (ktorrent).

Boo
Thanks Boo.....well, Kwin is faster ;) but I wish this could be resolved somehow. Do you think the next incarnation of KDE CE with 4.0 KDE will be better? thanks. I hope we can resolve this in the meantime as I love this distro....
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro

Return to “Software & Applications”