To Upgrade, or not to Upgrade?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

To Upgrade, or not to Upgrade?

Post by gael33 »

I use Linux Mint 13 Mate and it's a great OS, however, Linux Mint 14 Mate is now here, is there any advantage upgrading from 13 to 14?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: To Upgrade, or not to Upgrade?

Post by karlchen »

gael33 wrote:Linux Mint 14 Mate is now here, is there any advantage upgrading from 13 to 14?
Yes, there is: loosing 5 years' long term support on Linux Mint 13. :wink:
Seriously: Nadia backports available in Linux Mint 13 So what might we be missing by sticking with Maya?

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
gael33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gael33 »

Thanks Karl, I guess that many would say use the latest OS, but if the backports are activated and my Mint 13 system is up to date ... everything that makes up Linux Mint 14 will be installed in Mint 13, right? I was very reluctant and nervous to upgrade because Linux Mint 13 Mate has been the best and most stable OS I have ever used. It could have been a disaster disturbing my computer seeing that I am totally happy with the way things are.
Thanks for the advice ... I'll leave things alone for now :-)

gael.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Saor Alba Gu Brath
jmcook79

Post by jmcook79 »

I've decided to stick with Maya because it's an LTS and I'm completely happy with it! See my post here
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Many members, myself included, only use the LTS versions of Mint.

I recently upgraded from my old copy of Mint-9 Fluxbox to Mint-13 Xfce. Both LTS releases. :D

The Long-Term Support versions only become more stable as time goes on, and you can still keep the Kernel and all the Apps to their newest release, as well.

Return to “Beginner Questions”