Probs using files from smb-share

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Probs using files from smb-share

Post by grimdestripador »

I bet the file permissions error comes from the windows side. Try making a new folder, and sharing that. On windows create an admin with an actual password, and login using that. Also, when entering the path on the connect to, try typing out your server name and path rather than using the auto-lan-ping-everyione-detect-utility.

I've actually never mounted using your method, I've just used fstab once and it auto mounts just fine.

Code: Select all

sudo su
apt-get install smbfs
echo "winSever/share/folder    /media/winServer     smbfs     defaults      0     0" >> /etc/fstab
sudo mount -a
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

thanks for the totem-gstreamer advice, nice to know. I used to just dragged them all on my desktop like a play list, then delete them. I also have managed to get amarok to smb, but can't remember how, probally was during that session I was recompiling so I could have SQL database support (not just sqlite) back in older versions, but then again, I might be delusional.

might be that smb does not approparatly handle WINS serverices. or have them disabled

Depending on your configureation of you DHCP server it may not use WINS. Windows computers are smart (hehe dumb) enough to chirp noises on the network with WINS, and it more or less randomly chooses the HOST. Thus if the host if shut down, all windows computers chatter away untill it randomly negociates a new HOST. This isn't normally a problem, cause windows usually chooses the computer that has the largest uptime. But, linux ins't as communicitative as windows, and you have to tell it to be. Also windows tends to remember old references, (thats why one persons' network places may not be the same as another persons network places as the comptuer lab boots up).

The solution? sadly is to run your internet connection through XP as a shared internet connection, this will force XP to choose 192.168.0.1, configured with DHCP server and other windows necessities. You will also have to enable WINS in /etc/smb/smb.conf . If you are really clever with smb.conf I believe you can run you own WINS server, but good luck getting windows to find it (actually its part of the DHCP settings on your router).

Notes: I am not an expert!!!!! These facts are all heresay.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

You said that it just displayed you text in the terminal, yes it does, but it also should write a line to /etc/fstab as long as you were "sudo su" before hand.

Return to “Beginner Questions”