Missing install alongside windows option

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Missing install alongside windows option

Postby billtheplatypus on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:31 pm

I've used linux mint 12 for several months, though after using it for a while, I realized I had accidentally installed it inside of windows. I'm now trying to dual boot mint 14 and windows XP. I don't want to do the inside of windows option because that has a 30 GiB limit on virtual disk size, and I have hit that limit before. I burned the dvd and booted from it(using the help me boot from cd option in mint4win), and it works great. However, when I bring up the install linux Mint program, there is an option for replace windows and other. There is no install alonside windows option. Also, when I went in gparted to change partition sizes manually, I wouldn't let me shrink the partition, only to move it or grow it up to 2 MiB. There is only one partition, and that partition has XP on it. I have a 500 GB hard disk, and I want to use at least half for linux. I've googled around, but I haven't found any problems with ubiquity like this with only a single partition. If there is any information that I have neglected to provide, please ask, as I am not experienced with linux, nor partitioning. Thanks in advance for any help.
billtheplatypus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Missing install alongside windows option

Postby billtheplatypus on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Ok, here is some information I shoudl have added.
It is a 32 bit computer. Running inxi in terminal gives this:
Code: Select all
CPU~Quad core Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 (-MCP-) clocked at 1600.000 Mhz Kernel~3.5.0-17-generic i686 Up~1:07 Mem~489.5/4035.9MB HDD~634.9GB(4.0% used) Procs~172 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.4 

I have defragmented the hard drive.
billtheplatypus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Missing install alongside windows option

Postby billtheplatypus on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Nevermind, I backed up windows and overwrote it with the new mint, and then installed windows in virtualbox should I ever need it.
billtheplatypus
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot