Disable network-manager without uninstalling it

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Iron Mew

Disable network-manager without uninstalling it

Post by Iron Mew »

I prefer Wicd to the stock network manager for wifi, and I usually solve this problem by uninstalling network-manager altogether so only Wicd is left to control the connection. However, I'm setting up my netbook now, and being an ultraportable I'd like to preserve the possibility to connect to bluetooth devices, or use a 3G dongle, both of which are supported by the stock network manager but not by Wicd.

So what I want is to have both managers installed, but only Wicd running at startup. This way if it becomes necessary to use 3G or bluetooth I can just re-enable the stock network manager and use it.

Problem is, I can't figure out how to do that. Under gnome-session-properties I can remove the network manager icon, but that only removes nm-applet - the service is still running and interfering with Wicd. Then I went looking into the services running at startup, where I can see Wicd but not the stock network manager.

I can do a stop command, but I want to disable it semipermanently - that is, it has to stay disabled between sessions. How do I do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stratus_ss

Re: Disable network-manager without uninstalling it

Post by stratus_ss »

Well I am not sure how to "properly" do it but you can use these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /etc/init/network-manager.conf /etc/init/network-manager.conf-disabled
sudo mv /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop.disabled
Simply moving the configs to a different name will prevent NM from starting
Iron Mew

Re: Disable network-manager without uninstalling it

Post by Iron Mew »

Thanks.

I just found out renaming /etc/init.d/network-manager into anything else works too.

Return to “Networking”