Cant log in

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cant log in

Postby jamdonot on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Hello all, please excuse my ignorance, I an a complete newbie. I have installed Linux Mint 64 bit, and everything seemed to be fine, however when I get to the log in screen I enter my username and password (they are the same and I am sure I am enetering it correctly), the scrren goes blank, then I get the login screen again. I have been searching for hours to no avail, please help.
jamdonot
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cant log in

Postby jamdonot on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:58 am

Anyone, please, in dire need of help
jamdonot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cecar on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:22 am

Do you have a capital letter in your username? If so that does not work. You have to enter it in lower letter. Passwords can include capital letters though.
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jamdonot on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:45 am

Hello, I am logging in correctly, I have done the alt ctrl f2 thing and have logged on in the terminal like window. I have also been able to add a new user, same thing again, logs in, black screen, then back out to the log in screen. I have also changed it to the gdm log in, same thing. Really stuck, was so looking forward to giving linux a go.
jamdonot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cecar on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:35 am

What version of Mint do you use? What desktop environment?
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sunewbie on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 am

I do not have the perfect answer. Just trying to figure out the cause.

it is something to do with keyboard layout. there is an option to select keyboard layout too. One time, when I press shift 2 I should get @ but I did n't

Have you installed another language pack and does your username contain any special non-english character which only works in a particular layout?
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.
sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jamdonot on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:36 am

I have mint cinnamon, the x64 version. Using uk english. I can log in using the command prompt type window, just cant get into the gui
jamdonot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cecar on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Try to login to the 2D version of cinnamon. You can change that by clicking on session in MDM, Sounds like a graphic card issue to me.
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sunewbie on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:27 am

cecar wrote:Try to login to the 2D version of cinnamon. You can change that by clicking on session in MDM, Sounds like a graphic card issue to me.

Cinnamon works well with latest computers, as it is depending upon gnome3, which in turn is developed for new technology precisely touch screen

So if you have old pc, then cinnamon may not work properly. On the other hand as cesar said it can be a graphic card issue.

Did you try to install any other distro or other flavour of mint like MATE or Mint 13 XFCE? Some say 32 bit works better than 64 bit.
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.
sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions