my opinion

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ringo32

my opinion

Post by ringo32 »

hello, i want to give my opinion!

Lmde could be more then a half-semi-rolling os..,put it here on on idea´s is not the right place.

lmde is too conservatives and it is 2nd rang os, al energy is put on mint ubuntu edition.. its just an ubuntu with an mint jacket..
lmde is to conservative,... personally if they make a import repository from unstable not testing....even put in the newest xfce when possible... develop quick is they can to communty testing repository... and the rolling update would be faster... it would be more exciting.., develop a mint-virtualbox, lets say virtualmint-dnabox, i mean from people has one pc and want testing too.. they could test te repository quick and some people like it.

it would be different then virtual box, it virtualize your PC dna, so i mean when the test comes it would be tested the hardware support too...under basic virtualbox it doens test on real.. because you had virtual hardware from your virtualbox..

the point is, it testing quick to envolve quickly in a rolling package..,

perseonally i step over too manjaro... but the repository from manjaro and arch is a delay of a week.. so you have always the latest...i use now 0.81 but 0.82 is already in community testing..

i have te latest chromium and stuf..

to start is hard work.. but i think it would be great.... you could have more influence on your OS. and would make mint more stand alone os....

dont be Conservative !
sagirfahmid3

Re: my opinion

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Learn to write properly, then maybe people would get what you're trying to say.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

I think he may be saying that Mint should be using Deb unstable as its base, rather than Ubuntu, and just drop LMDE.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

caerolle wrote:I think he may be saying that Mint should be using Deb unstable as its base, rather than Ubuntu, and just drop LMDE.
Debian UNSTABLE? You're saying that complete and utter newbies coming over to the Linux world should use an unstable distro where something can break any time without knowing what caused it? Nonsense...Things like that would lead to the downfall of Mint if the developers chose to listen to inexperienced converts.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Yes, I think the mission of Mint is exactly the opposite: to make an easy-to-use distro that works smoothly. The LMDE is for people who want to live a little bit on the edge, but I think if people want cutting edge, they will need to look elsewhere. There are plenty of distros who have that as their mission, and point out up-front that this approach is for people who want to be very involved with their OS, not people who just want to use their computer as a tool.
widget

Post by widget »

caerolle wrote:Yes, I think the mission of Mint is exactly the opposite: to make an easy-to-use distro that works smoothly. The LMDE is for people who want to live a little bit on the edge, but I think if people want cutting edge, they will need to look elsewhere. There are plenty of distros who have that as their mission, and point out up-front that this approach is for people who want to be very involved with their OS, not people who just want to use their computer as a tool.
I am really don't agree with that accessment ot LMDE. It could be that I am crazy too.

I use Debian testing or Sid as my production OS so that should be considered too and I do consider it.

I used Ubuntu for a long time. Used to be pretty reliable too. Generally dual booted the LTS and what ever was newest.

LMDE is at least as stable as the Ubuntu LTS and folks seem to think that is fine for noobs. Just don't see the reason to worry about LMDE.

I have installed it on my bosses laptop. Believe me, she is not interested in knowing a thing about it or her laptop in general except does it or does it not work. LMDE works.

Ubuntu, or MInt (probably, never fooled with it - respins of respins make no sense to me) are generally reliable that way. If the Mint repos are as filtered as the Debian testing ones are for LMDE it is probably fine. Ubuntu, even the LTS, has some built in problems.

They ram in a lot of things that are just barely functional at best or only work on limited hardware. Update/upgrade cycles can, early after release of an LTS and pretty much anytime with regular releases, can break a lot of systems. I expect a lot of folks are using Mint right now because of that.

If you go with Ubuntu LTS being the "stable" Ubuntu release and that it is supposed to take the risk out of using Debian testing then you really ought to consider LMDE in that same light. Because that is what it is trying to do. VERY well.

This is a much more reliable way to do the job. The update packs are about like the Ubuntu regular releases. They will be behind those releases somewhat but not that much. The trade off for stability is worth that. It also gives you a fairly up to date version of Debian testing that is well ahead, for most of the LTS lifespan, of the Ubuntu LTS.

Being based on Debian testing and being fairly up to date means that if you want to install the more cutting edge packages you can do so using the Debian repos for sid and experimental. While this is not something I would recommend to a noob it is an option for the more experienced.

LMDE is what Ubuntu always wanted to grow up to be. Fresh and reasonably stable.

Right now I do not have a better OS to recommend to noobs. I think the folks at Mageia may be on to something but they need a bit more time (Mageia 3 will amaze anyone that has tried Mageia 1 or 2 with its maturity).

I think if the folks here do not try to pass on the Ubuntu fud that it is actually stable and something based on the same foundation with a better system (LMDE) is not, then in a very short while, as both mature and refine a bit, LMDE and Mageia are going to be the reliable things to recommend to noobs.

Mageia will probably use a slightly newer kernel but LMDE is using APT and Mageia RPM. APT is a better base for package managment. OK so I am biased.

If you are sticking with the default DEs then those 2 are going to be hard to beat. LMDE is hard to beat, for a noob, right now. I think we should be recommending it to noobs now.

Any small problems that they run into can be straightened out here on this forum with the great people that are here. You can't ask much more from any OS.
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

i step over to an another Distro Manjaro, its a Arch based but update is weekly...after few days after chrome 22 , chromium 22 was availbul in the repository!

ii just mean, if you have a base an a own testing repository you can develop your repository more quickly..like more less DE related software like games and browsers goes quickly in the repository// not bad at al..., problem for mint is they need both sides and LMDE is second place..
the wors think that can break if people must go to alien repository to go to unstable by self, that would quickly harm a system.. is not bad if you habe mayby almost the same infrastructure..
import repository for develop to testing and i think lots people that use lmde would test te testing repository o, that way you can roll your repository just quicker;..when new ubuntu comes out they have more fresh repo but after 3month would getting old then lmde comes.. but its semi-rolling but update packs are good... i believe if they take it from Unstable they could go quickly..,

lmde is nice but it can gowe to a level on a point that mint could leave the ubuntu Base development.. the mint concept is good... but you must take advantage of it...
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

my experience is reasenoble, and im not a die hard terminal freak i cant compile a base distro by own.. but lmde is not to hard personally..., its not so if you go to unstable that you leave debian.....its just you can make a oss for noobs to, but if that os second place then it wont gain populairyty... it can serv noobs, i dont see the problem? its not that you compile own distro at your own? Manjaro arch has a LTS too but its based on de Linux core architecture.. linux 3.2 was lts but now will going to linux 3.4 bas manjaro 0.81 has linux 3.54 next version 0.82 coming over few weeks or a month i dont know, has the 3.6 kernel.., that called maintaining your distro, for Noobs ..., and its arch..,

Mint must go on his own way with LMDE but on a better way better maintaining.... when mint 13 has 4.10 , but lmde 4.8 it got a bad score to me..., its not bad it ol memory use its good... an os is never Stable, os is mayby stable when its Rock OLD.

i want have on this way an discusion.... because there will be come other distro´s that might be beter then you populairity you lost.., you can always minimal do your repository on basic programmes faster but if you say we change the DE then you can say we give it a Name or like that but, on this point is your repository maintained... big changes in OS you do in General Update package, less os related programmes you could bring to new version is not bad at all......
Last edited by ringo32 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing duplicated post
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

and all ubuntu diravates i have problem with my wifi, normally above kernel 3.0 is my wifi supported in ubuntu i must dig it out
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

How can you say LMDE 'just works?' There are many features in it that DO NOT work.

For your wifi, you need to google the chipset and firmware that you need and go from there. You should be able to get that working in any distro. It's just the procedure that you need to know, which one to use and the steps.

In Debian and any of the derivatives, most are non-free so you need the non-free firmware package and then to install what you need. Then, it's a matter of inputting your wifi info.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Personally my wifi was working fine right after the installation...
So posting in this topic more than one month after the last post is not very clever and saying that the wifi is not working is not true. Maybe it is for some users but not for the majority of us.

Remember : LMDE is not for newbies. The main edition is there for them. LMDE is more touchy. You don't like it, leave it. But stop being angry, the work made by clem & the team is wonderful and you should just applause !
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

killer de bug wrote:Personally my wifi was working fine right after the installation...
So posting in this topic more than one month after the last post is not very clever and saying that the wifi is not working is not true. Maybe it is for some users but not for the majority of us.

Remember : LMDE is not for newbies. The main edition is there for them. LMDE is more touchy. You don't like it, leave it. But stop being angry, the work made by clem & the team is wonderful and you should just applause !
I've used both Debian and Ubuntu including Testing/Wheezy.

I am just suggesting to be constructive. I like Mint despite some criticism here and there. But, I am honestly trying to help. I think basing off of Debian and Ubuntu (even though, I am not much of a fan of that one) is good. Those are the ones I'm most used to. I had some issues with LMDE that I did not have much luck solving. I'd like to try it again, though. I plan on installing on a virtual machine and I would like to try the KDE spin if it is still going. I'll have a new HDD in my computer soon and I may install on that. Haven't decided yet.

I think people should welcome both positive and negative evaluations because then one can appreciate what is working well and what isn't. What pleases people and provides convenience and what seems to lead to problems or confusion. That's just my own thoughts on it, though. Maybe I'm alone on that.
widget

Post by widget »

telenux wrote:
killer de bug wrote:Personally my wifi was working fine right after the installation...

I've used both Debian and Ubuntu including Testing/Wheezy.

I am just suggesting to be constructive. I like Mint despite some criticism here and there. But, I am honestly trying to help. I think basing off of Debian and Ubuntu (even though, I am not much of a fan of that one) is good. Those are the ones I'm most used to. I had some issues with LMDE that I did not have much luck solving. I'd like to try it again, though. I plan on installing on a virtual machine and I would like to try the KDE spin if it is still going. I'll have a new HDD in my computer soon and I may install on that. Haven't decided yet.

I think people should welcome both positive and negative evaluations because then one can appreciate what is working well and what isn't. What pleases people and provides convenience and what seems to lead to problems or confusion. That's just my own thoughts on it, though. Maybe I'm alone on that.
As someone that thinks LMDE is a great OS for noobsbut not particularly for me, using either Debian testing or Sid as my production OS, I think your attitude is awful.

Different oppinions are very dangerous. They can even cause thinking to happen. Can't have that.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Learn to write properly, then maybe people would get what you're trying to say.
What if English isn't his first language? What if he's blind and has to use a reader? What if he has leprosy and has lost a few fingers?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
widget

Post by widget »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
sagirfahmid3 wrote:Learn to write properly, then maybe people would get what you're trying to say.
What if English isn't his first language? What if he's blind and has to use a reader? What if he has leprosy and has lost a few fingers?
I try to compare the posters English with my skills in the posters language.

This is not hard to do. I really suck at languages. I have little trouble asking for clarification of what I think they mean.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

I tried the latest download for LMDE. I prefer KDE but whatever. I cannot get the sound to work. Regardless of what setting I use. This is the only distro that it doesn't work with my hardware.

Yes, they make it look so purrrrrrrrrrrrrrty..... but, nothing works.

Also, VLC won't start but they have it in the menu under 'Sound & Video.' So, that's useless.

Control Center -> Volume Control -> Device Playback - and we see our choices.... blah, blah, blah, blah... try this, try that.... we see so many options and none work..... Thank you very much, Mint for making such a pretty distro .... but, with nothing working.... :roll:

I bet the Ubuntu editions work, though.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

If you're serious about using Linux, use Debian. Ubuntu and Mint are pretty much for newbs.
Your sound does not work because the kernel probably removed an old driver that your soundcard required. Downgrade to a lower ver. kernel and it should be fixed.
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

ijust want to make a point, LMDE would be a good replacement of debian-stable. It falls in that catorgory..

I dont know how that organize, on that reason i dont lmde anymore.. i have been going to a smaller distro, and rolling too. and importantse of all, it maintained. has also a unstable/testing/stable structure...Sid has doing good here as wel....
But LMDE is just a distro they take but in my opinion they arent serious with it..LMDE is testing, you suppose that they update more fresh software.. but its too much on low-level.

See Solusos, a debian-stable, hack of a work. buthe has made a Stable base and a maintained Repository.. is matter off time it climbs up.

not that i use it, i use manjaro Arch now, its not so bleeding edge.. not that the stable repo is very fresh but is maintained on weekly/monthly base...when some problem , speak up in forum and a developer put the solution in the repo...
it dont use arch repo directly cose of own repo...
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Manjaro ? Dude ... been there, done that.

One day you'll need to use your computer for something different than just playing around with your OS, and it won't work and then you'll be back. A lot of us just want to get work done, so it's good to be conservative. If you want the bleeding edge, there's enough other distros to play with.

Regarding LMDE, LMDE IS semi rolling. If you want REAL rolling, just upgrade to SID, it's easy if you know what you do ...
if you don't know what you do, you don't want rolling, you'll find that out soon enough with Manjaro
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

and who said Manjaro is bleeding edge, cose of arch? , SID is not Mint, or else, i know lmde is semi-rolling.,

i have no problems with manjaro..., mayby bloated..ok, but its fair enough.

now mint backporting te populair software ok, but they begins to late, in my opinion.. mayby with a solid base of LMDE and then a backport.... i only can say, they sleeping. when you do that then you dont have to go to sid or else...
i know lately they turn on the backport.... now only firefox and some mint apps....

can you say its anough? Manjaro drives nice here.....

Return to “Chat about Linux”