Mint 14 runs hot on my laptop

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jmcook79

Mint 14 runs hot on my laptop

Post by jmcook79 »

I did a "fresh install" upgrade from mint 13 to 14 yesterday and everything was fine for a few hours, then my laptop shut down suddenly while i was watching a video. After it shut down I had to take the battery out and put it back in before it would let me turn it back on. A few hours later the same thing happened so I installed xsensors to look at my temps. My processors were both between 75-85 degrees celsius. Well to make a long story short I reinstalled mint 13 then ran xsensors and my processors are now between 55-65 celsius. For some reason mint 14 was running too hot and I think that may have caused the shutdown problems. Has anyone else experienced this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gagmani

Re: Mint 14 runs hot on my laptop

Post by gagmani »

Which laptop do you have?Please give some details about processor,brand,mobo,graphics card.Did you not notice the sudden change in temperature of laptop and voice of laptop fan before shutdown?I have no experience with LM 14 on my laptop.But I installed Ubuntu 12.10,which is the base for LM 14,for a few days.The same problems were faced by me except sudden shutdown.May be the temperatures were not high enough in my case.But laptop used to become really hot and fan was running at full speed all the time.I removed it from laptop and did not bother to install LM 14 as my LM 12 was running fine.It can be a bug in kernel or some driver.I have a Vaio with intel i3 and ati 5470.I had used it only with default drivers and did not use any proprietary graphics drivers.May be processor was being used to make up for weak open source graphics driver.Try to install proprietary graphics drivers.I have heard somewhere on Facebook or Google+ that there are some serious bugs in Ubuntu 12.10 version which make it slower and more resource consuming.I would suggest you to stick to LM 13 for at least 2-3 months.
Last edited by gagmani on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
messmanager
Level 1
Level 1

Post by messmanager »

How strange. I always thought overheating was more than likely due to CPU fan failure or maybe something like over dried cooling paste. I'd never heard of it connected to an instalation of a, or any, distro.
I've only ever encountered that in a desktop when I inadvertantly forgot to apply paste. It might be advisable to check your own cooling paste as this can dry over time. Appologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but it may be something you had not thought of.
gagmani

Post by gagmani »

messmanager wrote:How strange. I always thought overheating was more than likely due to CPU fan failure or maybe something like over dried cooling paste. I'd never heard of it connected to an instalation of a, or any, distro.
I've only ever encountered that in a desktop when I inadvertantly forgot to apply paste. It might be advisable to check your own cooling paste as this can dry over time. Appologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but it may be something you had not thought of.
Good point,I did not think about that.But as our friend's laptop is fine after re-installation of LM 13,it means this is a software related issue.Ubuntu has decided(so has Mint) to use PAE kernels from 12.10.This may have some connection with latest heat problems.See release notes of both ubuntu 12.10 and Linux Mint 14.
jmcook79

Post by jmcook79 »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have an Acer 5534 with an AMD Athlon X2 dual core processor with each core running at 1197.00 MHz. My VGA controller is a Mobility Radeon HD 3200 and I use the Nvidia drivers. I ran the last temp test on mint 13 while browsing the web and watching a video...when completely idle the temps are even lower at an average of 30 degrees celcius!

I've decided to just stick to the LTS releases anyway because somehow when I tried reinstalling Mint 13, my MBR got screwed up and between fixing that and restoring all my backups it took several hours. I don't have the time to worry about doing these things and just want a stable OS to use and not worry about upgrading every six months!

It still would be interesting to know the cause of this though, I'll read the Ubuntu release notes and see what I can find.
gagmani

Post by gagmani »

jmcook79 wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I have an Acer 5534 with an AMD Athlon X2 dual core processor with each core running at 1197.00 MHz. My VGA controller is a Mobility Radeon HD 3200 and I use the Nvidia drivers. I ran the last temp test on mint 13 while browsing the web and watching a video...when completely idle the temps are even lower at an average of 30 degrees celcius!

I've decided to just stick to the LTS releases anyway because somehow when I tried reinstalling Mint 13, my MBR got screwed up and between fixing that and restoring all my backups it took several hours. I don't have the time to worry about doing these things and just want a stable OS to use and not worry about upgrading every six months!

It still would be interesting to know the cause of this though, I'll read the Ubuntu release notes and see what I can find.
Sorry,I do not understand why you chose to install nvidia drivers on ati/amd radeon 3200.If you have an ati/amd radeon card you should install amd drivers for graphics than nvidia.Nvidia drivers are for geforce cards.
jmcook79

Post by jmcook79 »

Sorry that was a typo, I used to have a laptop with Nvidia so I guess I had that in my head when I was typing. I do have the ati/amd drivers for this laptop. I use the proprietary drivers because the free ones won't allow me to watch video in full screen on my HDTV.

Return to “Other topics”