Mint 14 (cinnamon & Mate) Both Crashes During Install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MockY

Mint 14 (cinnamon & Mate) Both Crashes During Install

Post by MockY »

I'm trying to install the latest 32-bit versions of Linux Mint, both Cinnamon and MATE, in Virtualbox. Both end up with identical issue: It crashes during install. I receive "We're sorry; the installer crashed" message when the installer nears the end of the process.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smckeown

Re: Mint 14 (cinnamon & Mate) Both Crashes During Install

Post by smckeown »

I am having the same problems. Tried Virtual box as well as Vmware ESXI 5.1.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
Gord

Post by Gord »

I had the same problem with both installers under VMware Player 9. However, based on suggestions in other threads on this board (hint: I did a search...) I just installed Cinnamon successfully by doing the following:

- started the VM with the network adapter disconnected

- before clicking the "Install" icon on the desktop I opened a Terminal window and typed

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint
Not sure which trick was magic, but when I install the MATE version I'll try just leaving the network adapter disconnected and see how that goes.
Gord

Post by Gord »

For the record, I just did a successful MATE install by only disabling the network adapter (and not removing 'ubiquity-slideshow-mint').
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

And also for the record :)...
I just did a full cinnamon install in Virtualbox leaving the network card connected but only running the command to remove the slideshow.

Still scratching my head but its working.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
Gord

Post by Gord »

smckeown wrote:And also for the record :)...
I just did a full cinnamon install in Virtualbox leaving the network card connected but only running the command to remove the slideshow.

Still scratching my head but its working.
Then I guess we both WIN, but neither of us is exactly sure why.
smckeown wrote:Thanks for the help.

Scott
My pleasure. I'm pretty sure that I'll be counting on someone to return the favour soon....

Gord
MockY

Post by MockY »

I can confirm that

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-mint
indeed works. So many thanks for that. I find it odd that such a thing bypassed the final release as well as it has not been acknowledged by developers. Why not simply install it in a virtual machine to see what happens before releasing something seing as installing OSes in a VM is common practice.
rottger1911

Post by rottger1911 »

here th1s installation also (from CDL1FE) also rejected success return

Return to “Installation & Boot”