Contrast, color saturation settings

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lebrontron

Contrast, color saturation settings

Post by Lebrontron »

I've been playing around with Mint 13/14's Mate and Cinnamon versions but haven't been able to adjust color saturation and contrast settings of my screen. Did this when Mint 13 was just out and quit after frustration of not being satisfied with the display. I want to be a linux user full time and everything else works fine except my screen which hurts my eyes after a bit of using it.

Gamma correction isnt what I'm looking for because it doesn't do what I want. A simple GUI for controlling saturation/contrast would be the best like windows has it. I found out that the kernel should already have the drivers but if thats the case then why can't I control my screen's basic display properties? Additional drivers available after every installation of Mint I've done so far is only a wireless driver although wifi works flawless without it.

My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad Z570 with Intel HD 3000 graphics and currently have Mint 13 Mate X64 installed on it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lebrontron

Re: Contrast, color saturation settings

Post by Lebrontron »

Can someone at least tell me how to decrease screen contrast?
jaythespacehound

Post by jaythespacehound »

Hi, I'm not using an intel gpu so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've read the linux intel drivers do not yet support colour/contrast control. You are limited to changing the gamma. Your best bet at this stage is probably to play with the backlight settings (using xbacklight, or the backlight control of your laptop) and the display brightness settings to influence the contrast indirectly.

Good luck
Lebrontron

Post by Lebrontron »

Thanks for the post. I just tried xbacklight but thats not what I'm looking for. I can set the brightness from the power management options no problem. It's the contrast thats bugging me the most because even in very low brightness, contrast is still quite prominent. Could you post a link of the page where you read about color/contrast settings not being supported?

Return to “Beginner Questions”