Advantages and aadisadvantages Using Windows In A Virtual Bx

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Advantages and aadisadvantages Using Windows In A Virtual Bx

Post by tlcmd »

While I prefer LMDE, I do have some applications which can only run on Windows and will not run with WINE. I am on the 14 day trial of Crossover Linux (with difficulty).
Opinions Please:
Set up a dual boot with Windows Xp SP3 and LMDE

or

Install LMDE and run Windows XP SP3 in a Virtual box.

Advantages and disadvantages to both.

Thanks,
tlcmd
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Advantages and aadisadvantages Using Windows In A Virtua

Post by Transitman »

I run LMDE and have Virtual Box installed.
I run WinXP-SP3 and test other OSes in it as well.
CrossOver and WINE work with some effort, but Virtual Box is a breeze once get the hang of it.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

When I ran Windows applications I preferred to dual boot with Linux. Windows programs installed easier and stability was as it always had been. This is not to take anything away from Wine or Windows under an emulator once setup either can do an acceptable job. Enjoy
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Running Windows on 'bare metal' rather than a virtual machine allows you to hook up those odd devices which only have support with Windows driver disks. The major disadvantage of running Windows on bare metal is backing up your data must be done from Windows, you can't just have a snapshot of how your Windows was before you installed that game which borked your Windows installation. You also will probably have to 'fix' your Mint installation after your Windows install, because Windows always assumes that it is the ONLY operating system installed on the system, takes over the MBR, and overwrites any Linux boot loader.

You can also get your Linux portion of the hard disk overwritten if you get one of those 'format the hard disk' type of malware on your Windows box.

Return to “LMDE Archive”