Wish list for the next version

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
DSA

Wish list for the next version

Post by DSA »

Not sure what is the best place to post suggestions for the new version, so posting them here for now. All of them are about making Mint easy to use as an everyday OS for regular people:
* Please replace the DuckDuckGo thing in the Firefox address bar search with a more mainstream search engine, e.g. Google, Yahoo or god forbid Bing
* In my config (a custom build Intel quad core system with mainstream hardware), both Firefox and Chrome have issues of one kind or another playing youtube. This is frankly the only thing in Mint that jumps out as "not there yet". I understand that many issues may be involved (flash, video card, etc), but would be nice to make it more robust.

Thank you for the great product!
EmpireITtech

Re: Wish list for the next version

Post by EmpireITtech »

DSA wrote:Please replace the DuckDuckGo thing in the Firefox address bar search with a more mainstream search engine, e.g. Google, Yahoo or god forbid Bing
You can do this yourself now: drop down the search engine box > Click Manage Search Engines... > Select the one you want (if it's not there, like Google, then select Get More Search Engines... and follow the directions)
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

DSA wrote:Not sure what is the best place to post suggestions for the new version, so posting them here for now. All of them are about making Mint easy to use as an everyday OS for regular people
BTW, there's a Suggestions & New Ideas forum below if you're looking for the "correct" area to post this...but I don't care lol =]
igor83

Post by igor83 »

DSA wrote:Not sure what is the best place to post suggestions for the new version, so posting them here for now. All of them are about making Mint easy to use as an everyday OS for regular people:
* Please replace the DuckDuckGo thing in the Firefox address bar search with a more mainstream search engine, e.g. Google, Yahoo or god forbid Bing
* In my config (a custom build Intel quad core system with mainstream hardware), both Firefox and Chrome have issues of one kind or another playing youtube. This is frankly the only thing in Mint that jumps out as "not there yet". I understand that many issues may be involved (flash, video card, etc), but would be nice to make it more robust.

Thank you for the great product!
I'm curious how much $ duckduckgo contributes to LM in exchange for the privilege. In my experience search engines are pretty conservative paying out. I ran Google AdSense for a year, got 8,000 hits on a web site and earned a whopping $4.54. I decided that trivial amount was not worth the inconvenience of ads.

I would like very much a functional and customizable slideshow-screensaver, such as GLslideshow in xscreensaver, except one that really works without lots of tweaking. Right now, there is a lot of research required for a highly technical user to get GLslideshow working right, not just in LM I might add, but in any ubuntu distro, but in LM 13 Mate, I had the additional issue of the screensaver activating during video playback. Also xscreensaver is not installed by default, so it has to be installed. Then there's the issue where GLSlideshow coughs up an error message due to not finding Helvetica fonts. I finally figured out how to fix all this stuff but in the end I wound up installing Xubuntu to get it to work. It might work on Mate with all the fixes I learned how to apply but I don't know. After doing all the necessary tweaks, I forget the web sites I referenced to find the tweaks in the first place, so I'm not sure I even remember what was done to get the screensaver working right in Xubuntu. Definitely it's clear that screensavers are not a high priority these days but for me they are close to #1 in importance, I am willing to jump distros and even OS to get a working screensaver slideshow. In Windows XP, I paid $15 for a good slideshow screensaver, I would do the same for Linux if one was for sale, although now that I've invested the sweat equity of seven or eight hours to get xscreensaver-GLslideshow working, there is no need for me to pay.
wguerrero42

Post by wguerrero42 »

I would like a new cd/dvd burner program instead of Brasero, that fixes some issues related to burning a cd on-the-fly.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

wguerrero42 wrote:I would like a new cd/dvd burner program instead of Brasero, that fixes some issues related to burning a cd on-the-fly.
A fellow on this forum recommended k3b. I haven't tried it yet but it looks good.
wguerrero42

Post by wguerrero42 »

igor83 wrote:
wguerrero42 wrote:I would like a new cd/dvd burner program instead of Brasero, that fixes some issues related to burning a cd on-the-fly.
A fellow on this forum recommended k3b. I haven't tried it yet but it looks good.
okay, thanks, I'm going to try it later.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”